• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The ol' "Wasn't Meant to Be" Moment

Speedly

Birdie Member
So, I gotta story for you all.

Last year, I went to mess around on a low-traffic youth league course (Santa Anita Park, for those in the Sacramento area) for some practice approaching, pitching, and putting. There's a creek that runs through, and I saw a round, yellow object on the bottom. Once I worked my way around to the other side, I fished it out - sure enough, it's a disc!

It's a Discraft somethingorother, I couldn't tell because the stamp is long since faded away, but the tooling was still on the bottom. It's a midrange of some kind, and it's the domiest, flattest-bottomed, and roughest-looking disc I think I've ever seen. It looked like it was going to be crazy understable, so I took it with me, seeing as it had only initials on it and no number, and I was the only person playing at the time.

After the sixth hole, the park extends out in the opposite direction of the course, with a pretty big grassy area and the creek running way off to the right. I pull out the mystery disc, give it some hyzer, and let it fly.

I can't say I really fired this thing, but it made the longest, laziest turnover I've ever seen. It seemed like it stayed up forever. It kept on turning slowly, flying waaaaay over to the right, and into a part of the creek that was inaccessible enough not to be worth going after it. I'd never seen a disc behave that way before, and I can't really say I've seen one do it since.

It just clearly wasn't meant to be between me and the mystery disc.

Anyone else have any similar stories? Let's hear them!

I was at Audobon park in Garland, TX and looked down the creek after a putt and on hole 8? Well anyways, I saw a disc in the creek and I knew i had to get it for its sake. looked new like a surge or force pink in color too! After climbing down the straight down drop (~15ft) it was just out of reach in the creek about 8 ft in and not sure of the depth. I finally found a long stick and was able to touch the disc, after a few attempts I happened to push the disc too far and it fell to the darkness.

Just not meant to be. :/

I put a drive over to the other side of a river at my local course a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't immediately go get it and it was getting dark, so made a plan with my buddy to come out again in the morning, park on the other side of the river and go looking for that disc and any others.

I found my disc, but in our searching we found 5 other discs, a Champ Orc, a Star Destroyer, an XL, a Gazelle and a Champ Roadrunner. Only the Destroyer had ink, and it was returned (to a buddy actually). I kept the Gazelle and the XL, my buddy kept the other two. Only one of them is left now, the XL. I put the Gazelle in the lake (it kept going, and going, and going), my buddy followed my Gazelle by putting the Roadrunner in the lake, and then he put the Orc smack dab in the middle of the river on the exact hole we found it at.

I had found a pink teebird KC pro pink color beautiful disc. There was writing on it for two aces with dates. No name or number on it though. I had it for about one summer and then I was playing at Riverside in St Cloud MN and I sailed it long and it toook off down the hill to the Mississippi river

found an Archangel and lost it the same day.

it was when i first started playing and i didn't even know what understable meant. it was dx, incredibly beat in, and i threw it flat.

obvious result was an insane curve to the right (opposite from anything i was used to at the time). i didn't even know discs could turn that direction.

disc landed in a tiny group of trees. should have been easy to find it but we never did. and my buddy got stung helping me look.

who knew discs could turn to the right (rhbh)?!

I put a drive over to the other side of a river at my local course a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't immediately go get it and it was getting dark, so made a plan with my buddy to come out again in the morning, park on the other side of the river and go looking for that disc and any others.

I found my disc, but in our searching we found 5 other discs, a Champ Orc, a Star Destroyer, an XL, a Gazelle and a Champ Roadrunner. Only the Destroyer had ink, and it was returned (to a buddy actually). I kept the Gazelle and the XL, my buddy kept the other two. Only one of them is left now, the XL. I put the Gazelle in the lake (it kept going, and going, and going), my buddy followed my Gazelle by putting the Roadrunner in the lake, and then he put the Orc smack dab in the middle of the river on the exact hole we found it at.

It's like water discs are cursed, amirite?

It occurs to me I have another "wasn't meant to be" moment.

My first driver I ever purchased was a yellow Champ Valkyrie. I was in a park near my house throwing it, trying to get to know it better. This park has some trees in it, but is basically completely open when it comes to seeing all around you.

I throw the Valkyrie like I'd been doing over the last hour, and watch it carefully. It lands next to a tree, about twenty feet from the street. I walk over to the spot where I watched it land - completely gone!

No one could have stolen it while I wasn't looking, because I kept my eye on that spot the entire time as I was walking over to it, so to this day, I still have no explanation as to what happened to it.

I walked the park in a grid for about 100 feet in each direction from where it landed, but never found it. It's as if it just evaporated into thin air.

It's like water discs are cursed, amirite?

It occurs to me I have another "wasn't meant to be" moment.

My first driver I ever purchased was a yellow Champ Valkyrie. I was in a park near my house throwing it, trying to get to know it better. This park has some trees in it, but is basically completely open when it comes to seeing all around you.

I throw the Valkyrie like I'd been doing over the last hour, and watch it carefully. It lands next to a tree, about twenty feet from the street. I walk over to the spot where I watched it land - completely gone!

No one could have stolen it while I wasn't looking, because I kept my eye on that spot the entire time as I was walking over to it, so to this day, I still have no explanation as to what happened to it.

I walked the park in a grid for about 100 feet in each direction from where it landed, but never found it. It's as if it just evaporated into thin air.

aliens-thumb.jpg

Sometimes I've really wished their was an answer key for the old disc hunt puzzle. Even if I had to admit "OK, it's gone. I'm not getting it back." to see the key, sometimes it would be nice to just know where on earth the things hide.

It seems like I have this whenever I find and purchase the old DX plastic rocs from 2003-2007. I get them and throw them for a few months. Just when they start to get well seasoned and become that perfect flier that every roc lover dreams about......I lose the damn things. I've lost two perfectly seasoned rocs over the past 2 years and don't understand what is going on with this scenario. It's like for some reason the disc golf Gods want me to spread the seasoned roc joy to other discers. It would be nice if I could just keep the damn rocs once they get into the perfect stage. I hope I didn't just jinx myself by telling this little story as I have a nice Dx roc getting into that same exact stage right at this present moment.

The topic of lost discs being cursed to lose again came up at league a couple days ago. Apparently the only way to break the lost disc karma is to give, not sell, but give the disc you find to someone else. That night I found a champ Orc and gave it to another guy in the group. Guess will see if the theory holds.

I have found a lot of discs and I used to always immediately try them out. I had a few close calls and almost ended up with one of those "wasn't meant to be" scenarios. Since than I have decided to try a new method. If I find a disc I wont throw it until the next time I'm out, for some reason this made a difference.

I KNEW IT. (Hilarious!)

mjwilson said:
The topic of lost discs being cursed to lose again came up at league a couple days ago. Apparently the only way to break the lost disc karma is to give, not sell, but give the disc you find to someone else. That night I found a champ Orc and gave it to another guy in the group. Guess will see if the theory holds.
Keep me posted on that one.

It occurs to me that I have another story, but this time, it wasn't my plastic.

My friend and I went to play in Auburn Regional Park outside of Sacramento. The course runs through a public park with a large pond in it, and a couple holes run alongside it, with the pond to the left. My friend throws almost exclusively RHFH, for the record.

A few weeks before, playing at Shady Oaks, he found a PDGA Worlds DGA Hurricane sitting just off the fairway, in plain view. We were out there early-ish, and it was clear that no one had teed off on an adjacent hole where we happened upon it.

It had a name and number, and I said he should call, but he didn't. (That debate is another thread.) He played with it every now and again, and it worked significantly better for him than his normal Beast that he uses as a driver, flying 30-50 feet farther on drives.

Anyhow.

We get to the first hole with the pond in play. He drives to the nearest end of the pond, forcing a nearly-entirely-carry shot to the pin. He fires, and the thing turns left on him.

*splash.*

So he pulls out an ESP Buzzz.

*splash.*

He picks up and says he's gonna just chill until the next hole. After throwing some $30 in plastic into the drink in maybe thirty seconds, I can't blame him.

You might say it was karma biting him (I would agree!), but it's clear that it just wasn't meant to be.

Latest posts