• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The pull through. Real confused :(

SouthernGolf

I finally got my x step down but found myself in serious shoulder pain afterwards. I figured out I was strong arming it to an average of 300 ft. And had little whip in my throw but had a decent amount of snap. I was talking to friends who could effortlessly throw 400+ what I was doing wrong and they said I was too tense on the reach back and pull through. They told me hips and shoulders start the rotation an that my arm follows. I found that very hard to visualize because it seems that keeping my arm limp through the pull would have it lag behind my body only to be flung out wildly while I increase acceleration after my right pec. It seems like balance would be very hard to center without focusing on pulling my arm while leaning over the disc.

The acceleration idea after the right pec with a bent elbow is an entirely other complication for me

I can watch people accelerate at the right time to the hit but can't understand how to do it. Ever since I've been trying to "accelerate", my tricep on my throwing arm has been sore the next day. Unfortunately Thats my idea of accelerating, unbending my elbow Forcefully quickly after I get my body facing forward. This often leads to inaccurate throws, however, when it works out it works out wonderfully.

Any help is appreciated

I'm trying to be more consistent and Less exhausted after a round.

Your problem is that you're trying to rotate from back to front, 180 degrees in one motion. You're right, if you do that and keep your arm limp it will trail behind and you.ll never get to the right pec position. You need to rotate 90 degrees, wait for the arm to get out front, then rotate out.

When you crack a whip, you throw the whip out with the handle, then the handle stays still until the proper time, and moves again to aid th the crack.

I can understand that but if I rotate my hips from closed to neutral without using any arm my balance is off and I don't feel as if I can get a proper weight shift. It feels like my back arches when I do a standing reach back and simply rotate from closed to neutral. I can't figure out how to shift my weight forward Over the disc simply opening my hips to begin my pull through. If I start at my hips(closed to neutral) then rotate my shoulders and hips from neutral to open I can't get a level release.

It sounds to me like you are trying too hard to rotate. the "If I rotate this way I can't shift my weight right" comment kind of makes me think that your rotation is not driven by your weight shift. Refer to page 12 of the maxing at 300' thread where Keltik's comments are quoted together with the diagram. The whole part about the motions being incidental, as a result of the weight shift. (I would link/quote, but I'm posting from my ps3)

If you reach back as far as you can, so you're as coiled as you can be, and get all your weight on your back foot, and then just shift your weight forward to your front foot, you'll find that your body HAS to rotate, and with little practice you can easily get to the right pec position with like 5% effort.

To me it feels like my body is unfolding around my core as it is pushed forward by my center of gravity more than anything is actually rotating.

you are right. i have been forcefully trying to rotate my hips after the reach back to begin my pull through. i would force my hips to open, then my shoulders would follow and i would accelerate my arm out at that point. I played a round or two since the last postings with some seriuosly increased success. however due to where i live, mississippi, the humidity cuts distance out of drives like nobodies business, so judging distance is kind of hard from day to day. even though i had that success i still felt my weight wasn't right because it doesn't feel like i'm leaning over the disc. does leaning over the disc refer to the point where your hips are at neutral, or the point when your hips are completely open? if all the rotation is to occur due to the " weight shift" HOW do i get my weight to shift forward like that? after the reach back my weight is pretty well behind my left foot(even after my plant foot has landed) i would compensate for that by forcing my hips from closed to neutral and so on. while it did lead to some of the most most impressive throws i've had( parked a 373 flat ground with a hyzer flip) i was off balance often and had a very ugly follow through because of.

One important thing i did notice is that i no longer had any joint pain. My deltoid/lat is sore but i can handle muscle pain much better than joint pain.

any suggestions or insights into the "weight shift"? should it already happen due to the forward progress of my "run up x-step"? if so, how can people do it flat footed with a reach back?

O the countless amount of times I've watche the masters video lol

I've recorded myself doing the same right pec drill and my motion isn't near as quick or whip-like. I read over some other posts that talk about driving the elbow and what not but like Blake said unless you truly "get it" the information is useless.

I will be playing a round at a private, manicured course( remember I live in MS. This is EPIC) Sunday and will be doing some recording and implementing some new things. I'll post a video Sunday night and hopefully everyone can tell me what I'm still lacking

Be sure to put the latest video on the same thread in the video critique section where you had your first video. Then beg JR and others for help. Watching other help clips and Discraft instructional vids really slid me down my learning curve. Most importantly don't buy a ton of plastic thinking there's a magic bullet substitute for field work practice and almost as important than beating your buds is to have fun.

Learn how your plastic flies on different lines by mastering your slower discs first on the practice field. Go to the park and throw you discs back a forth with a friend and play with better players as much as possible. Buy 'em a coke or something.......

7ontheline said:
Be sure to put the latest video on the same thread in the video critique section where you had your first video. Then beg JR and others for help. Watching other help clips and Discraft instructional vids really slid me down my learning curve. Most importantly don't buy a ton of plastic thinking there's a magic bullet substitute for field work practice and almost as important than beating your buds is to have fun.

Learn how your plastic flies on different lines by mastering your slower discs first on the practice field. Go to the park and throw you discs back a forth with a friend and play with better players as much as possible. Buy 'em a coke or something.......

No begging required we are here to help. If we are able to.

Latest posts