• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the Roller...

adamn

I've only been playing disc golf a few months and have been discovering there are many ways to throw a disc. I typically will drive sidearm and use backhand (right hand) and tomahawks for putting and approach. I've been learning alot about the sport in the off season here, and discovered a strategy for making your disc roll, also known as a roller. I've seen them thrown in tournaments but only backhanded. I tried throwing these so call "rollers" and found it incredibly easy when throwing tomahawk or hammer style. I was wondering if this is allowed in regular game play or if there are any regulations for use of the throw in general.

Please help a Noob ou t:cool:

rollers

its allowed. you can throw a roller with your foot and its allowed. forehand rollers can save you strokes if you can execute them correctly, like if your in the middle of a tall bush and the only way out is to stretch to the side and flick a little forehand roller the direction and distance you need. its rare when you need a forehand roller off the teepad but there are exceptions. :).

I wish my rollers were that well behaved :)

On a side note, they should misspelled "coming" at the beginning of the video. How did that one slip by the editors?

imo rollers have a place in every phase of the game of dg. every player who aspires to the pro tour or just to be a very good player should learn both forehand and back hand rollers. using a tomohawk throwing style for a putt though strikes me as a high risk/very low reward shot. makes me cringe anytime i see a player tomohawk or forehand a putt.

roller secrets

the most beat up driver possible, rotate stance slight left, crush a backhand, 350-450 feet on hard level ground no problem. If it doesn't flip, let your dog have it for a minute. The old disc called a flick was made out of a hard plastic that when thrown as a overhand forehand roller will hold it's line and then bend to the right, I don't know of another disc that is sharp enough to do that, and the new plastic doesn't work.
the secret for me to the 400 ft dog leg right birdie.

I have started using them as an up in tricky situations.

So far I can do a forehand roller consistently but backhand leaves a lot to be desired.

I wish my rollers were that well behaved :)

That exact video is what made me realize that I had to learn a roller. Hole #2 at The Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV always gave me fits. I had trouble staying left of the Mando at the tree line with a normal RHBH throw. When I saw this video I knew that I had to give it a try. And so I throw a roller on this hole every time now. I can't make it anywhere near the top of the hill like those guys do, but I consistently hit the gap, so the Mando is no problem. And I get some fair distance up the hill.

I've also found a roller useful at Timberlink near Ligonier, PA that plays on a ball golf course so the fairways are super tight and perfect for rollers and at Nemacolin in PA. I used to be a "roller-phobe" but now I know that they can definitely help your game.

For me, A roller was a throwing flaw,(unconscious nose up under full power) even if it worked well....I s'pose I really should start throwing that disc again.
Those videos were feckin sweet!

A roller is a super consistent shot if you take the time to learn the angles/power necessary for varying distances and turns. I used to roll CE Valks back in the day and a few years back stopped using it for the most part since my distance improved a lot and I could throw 420' easy where I wanted. Anyway 2 years ago I started rolling again with a newish early run ESP Surge and had some magical birdies on a few 600ft holes which sold me on the shot.

The Surge got too flippy to roll far since the best way to gain max disctance is for it to fight the natural turn as long as possible so it continues to roll down the fairway. Since then I have started rolling Z Avengers (not SS ) since I think a more stable roller gives more direct line and more potential distance with the old Surge in there for high sky rollers and short controlled turnover rolls.

I play with a few guys that have gotten to a high Pro level without throwing rollers but those same guys said they are going to learn how this winter since they realized how many strokes it can save or just allow you to gain.

What's really sweet is when you throw a roller into a crosswind and give it just the right amount of slant so that it sails along the wind instead of being blown all to hell and gone.

Not that I can do that any more often than random chance ...

If you don't have a roller in your arsenal, you are potentially costing yourself a stroke or more each round. IMHO you should be able to throw it RHBH, RHFH (or opposite for lefties). Beat up discs are good. Soft ones are good if you just need to go a little ways and then have the disc die.

They are allowed, and damn I wish I could throw them. Just do what i do! Whip an Avenger SS at the ground and pray.