• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Stoney Hill Challenge (April 11-12, 2015)

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Once again,the Sauls families invite our disc golf friends to join us at Stoney Hill for our annual singles tournament.

With 4 rounds over 2 layouts, you're sure to learn why we call it a "Challenge".

And if you join us as well for the free camping, mini-golf, Friday night at Roma's, and the rest, we hope you'll find it more than just a weekend disc golf tournament. It's a getaway.

For South Carolina amateur players, it'll be part of the qualifier series to be the state representative at the USDGC!

More information---on the tournament, the course, event flyer, registration, and the rest---available at our event website:

www.saulsinsurance.com/stoneyhill/challenge.htm

I saw the Earlewood one, and would love to have one for Stoney Hill. We'd need to do it about tournament time or shortly thereafter, spring or fall, when the place looks its best.

signed up and ready to go! I think Mikey T is bringing the Camper!

on an unrelated note, yall should try to hook up with this guy. He was at the Savannah Open getting images of Tom Triplett. I think he has done Earlwood also...and now TL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3LtSU4f18

Nice video and I loved that course when I got to play it.

I saw the Earlewood one, and would love to have one for Stoney Hill. We'd need to do it about tournament time or shortly thereafter, spring or fall, when the place looks its best.

Ok David - I think for those who have been imagining your course with only photos need to see a vid like that.

looking forward to it. I have one of the locals coming out for his first time at stoney hill. Hope to get a weekend round in before the tournament at some point.

I wish I could make it for the tournament- my daughters dance pictures are scheduled for the same day- so I have to watch the boy while my wife gets her ready for it- I might be able to make it down the week before to help with some of the landscaping though.

That's kind of you, but a long way to drive for a workday. But perhaps you can come down and we can play a round together; my shoulder is, for time being, working. Of course, you'll run the risk that I'll talk about course design the whole time.

david- four of us are coming down sunday morning (march 29) im sure we could help with a little light cleanup in areas as we show some one the course before he plays the challenge before the tourney. Ill talk to the fellas and see if they wouldn't mind doing a little work on a hole or two. Don't see any real reason why we couldn't help out some.

[edited]

Thanks. What time are you coming? Some guys from Columbia are threatening to come out about 10:00.

When did you last play? I'll need to tell you about 1 or 2 new holes, and perhaps the Garnet layout.

That's kind of you, but a long way to drive for a workday. But perhaps you can come down and we can play a round together; my shoulder is, for time being, working. Of course, you'll run the risk that I'll talk about course design the whole time.

That would be awesome. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I start altering the landscape.

[edited]

Thanks. What time are you coming? Some guys from Columbia are threatening to come out about 10:00.

When did you last play? I'll need to tell you about 1 or 2 new holes, and perhaps the Garnet layout.

New years day. Should be me Ian the hippy and john Stowe. We played the new hole 10? the one that plays to hole ones basket on the left.

New years day. Should be me Ian the hippy and john Stowe. We played the new hole 10? the one that plays to hole ones basket on the left.

Then there's one new hole, still under construction but playable, that follows that.

Not sure which layouts you played, but in the tournament we're using the Diamond layout (which is unchanged) and the Garnet layout, which is a shorter 18-hole layout. After Hole 3 you cross the creek, turn left and come out on that new #10 tee. (If you played the 24-hole Quartz layout, this is it, skipping #4-9)

chris we will for sure give you guys a hand. I don't see why we can't get the 18 in and possibly garnet lay out with helping you guys out. If they don't ill just make them walk home!

That would be awesome. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I start altering the landscape.

I'm hardly an expert, being the co-designer of one course, and probably less than 50% of that. But if people will listen I'll go on and on about how Stoney Hill evolved, the thought process involved, and how holes changed over time, as most have. It's my favorite subject, plus it keeps me from talking about all the putts I miss.

So what I can really teach you is the mistakes we made along the way.