• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 11-13

TDs not knowing the rules, top players not knowing the rules, players throwing overweight discs. . . .all very professional, or not

Dunno if anybody noticed on the skins match they kept talking about Ricky's overweight halo destroyer.

It appears he's using the same disc during tournament rounds?

they were talking about the destroyer Ricky hit the guy with at the silver cup series earlier in the year being the over weight one. Ricky even says that he throwing a halo now. It could also be over weight I have weight a lot of discs over the years that weigh more then marked.
Paul cares and he and Brodie were talking about in one of their pod casts that they thought for pro tour event you should have to get your discs weighed and stamped before they could be used in a round.

Terrible spot but she got super lucky she it that brick flush, so I guess it evened out.

I am always just amazed at how bad the pros are about watching each other throw so they can give accurate spots.

they were talking about the destroyer Ricky hit the guy with at the silver cup series earlier in the year being the over weight one. Ricky even says that he throwing a halo now. It could also be over weight I have weight a lot of discs over the years that weigh more then marked.
Paul cares and he and Brodie were talking about in one of their pod casts that they thought for pro tour event you should have to get your discs weighed and stamped before they could be used in a round.

Yeah I remember way way back in the day on the old pdga forum Dave D saying that plastic can absorb moisture over time and it's not uncommon for discs to pick up a gram or two in weight.

I can see scaling discs for approval at something like the Japan Open, where there were weight guidelines in place for safety. Personally I get the idea, but with wider rimmed drivers with a sharper edge a sub 160 destroyer is still gonna hurt if you get hit by one.

I guess I'm torn on it...yeah discs used in sanctioned competition should fall within approved guidelines, but nobody seems to be concerned with it. Why have guidelines if they're not being used?

It might be a bit much to ask TDs to do that considering the amount of players involved and all the other things they have to get done the week of an event. Are there DGPT staff on site at tour events? ...if so, maybe the tour staff themselves should be doing that? I guess either way, the easiest way would probably be to have a table set up during practice round days to get it done so there isn't just a huge line of players waiting at a registration to weigh every possible disc they could throw at an event...

...or maybe do something like take the top5 or top10 or a random 10 of those who cashed at the end of the event. You could then dock any players that have illegal discs a percentage of prize money or something?

It might be a bit much to ask TDs to do that considering the amount of players involved and all the other things they have to get done the week of an event. Are there DGPT staff on site at tour events? ...if so, maybe the tour staff themselves should be doing that? I guess either way, the easiest way would probably be to have a table set up during practice round days to get it done so there isn't just a huge line of players waiting at a registration to weigh every possible disc they could throw at an event...
That is pretty much what they were suggesting. The DGPT would weight discs during the week leading up to the tournament and stamp them if legal so they would be able to use the disc for the rest of the season.

Except that he got chased down and passed during the last round?

Arm must've been worn out from throwing overweight frisbees?

I'm not saying this to be cruel, but Ricky really did look tired in that last round. He just didn't look like he felt great. Maybe it was just me who felt that way.

That is pretty much what they were suggesting. The DGPT would weight discs during the week leading up to the tournament and stamp them if legal so they would be able to use the disc for the rest of the season.

To go after players for competing with overweight discs produced by sponsoring manufacturers, who marked and are selling the discs as legal, is going to be a losing proposition for the DGPT or basically any tournament, because those manufacturers are also major sponsors of tournaments. This whole idea looks dead in the water from the get go to me.

Even if you're randomly sampling 10 discs from the top 50 players, I think it's ridiculous to ask TDs or event staff to weigh 500 discs given everything else the have to do pre and post event. Just going out on a limb here, but...

Why not put the responsibility where it belongs?

Disc manufacturers shouldn't let any overweight discs out of their facility. They must be weighing all of them already, or how would they even be putting weights on discs in the first place? Just do a better job of it.

When the PDGA approves any mold, the max weight is made public. They shouldn't be allowed to sell a disc as being "PDGA Approved" if it's overweight.

Manufacturers should get some decent scales and have some standard masses to calibrate them. Any disc that's overweight gets recycled... never leaves the building. If the labeled weight is off a few grams, so be it, just so long as it's not over weight.

Problem is, my proposed "fix" doesn't do squat for however many overweight discs are already in circulation. :\

On the other hand... Are we really saying Player X finished as high on the board as they did because throwing a 176g disc instead of a 175g gave them an unfair advantage over Player Y? :rolleyes:

I realize it's a slippery slope when choose which rules to enforce, but I think the Pro Tour has bigger issues to address.

Last edited:
Manufacturers are to blame, but only the players can really do anything about the manufacturers, by taking their biz elsewhere. If they lose the players, they will correct their practices. There should be an official scale available to players at any event where disc weight gets checked and then it becomes the players responsibility.

Even if you're randomly sampling 10 discs from the top 50 players, I think it's ridiculous to ask TDs or event staff to weigh 500 discs given everything else the have to do pre and post event. Just going out on a limb here, but...

Why not put the responsibility where it belongs?

Disc manufacturers shouldn't let any overweight discs out of their facility. They must be weighing all of them already, or how would they even be putting weights on discs in the first place? Just do a better job of it.

When the PDGA approves any mold, the max weight is made public. They shouldn't be allowed to sell a disc as being "PDGA Approved" if it's overweight.

Manufacturers should get some decent scales and have some standard masses to calibrate them. Any disc that's overweight gets recycled... never leaves the building. If the labeled weight is off a few grams, so be it, just so long as it's not over weight.

Problem is, my proposed "fix" doesn't do squat for however many overweight discs are already in circulation. :\

On the other hand... Are we really saying Player X finished as high on the board as they did because throwing a 176g disc instead of a 175g gave them an unfair advantage over Player Y? :rolleyes:

I realize it's a slippery slope when choose which rules to enforce, but I think the Pro Tour has bigger issues to address.

I don't think they do weigh them, I thought I read that they do some combination of weighing a few representatives from a run and knowing how much a given plastic mix will weigh. Could be making that up.

He sure did. I can never get timestamps to work, but jump to 53 seconds for the whole story, or 1:20 for him saying he took it.

thank you for the link! I knew I remembered reading about it but discussions about ricky and his treatment(s) has been spread across so many threads over the course of the past year. I see that you did add the t=53 stamp in the video link, so I think it's just that the embedded video player can't handle it for some reason