• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Valkyrie, a discussion.........

I also love to throw speed 9 discs. The 9 and 10 rims just fit my hand better than anything faster or slower. Unfortunately, I just never clicked with the Valkyrie. Not sure if it is me or if the few I've tried were outliers. The first one I had was fairly understable and kind of squirrelly and very sensitive to power and angles. The next two that I tried were very much like a Thunderbird and that wasn't the spot I was trying to fill.

I also love to throw speed 9 discs. The 9 and 10 rims just fit my hand better than anything faster or slower. Unfortunately, I just never clicked with the Valkyrie. Not sure if it is me or if the few I've tried were outliers. The first one I had was fairly understable and kind of squirrelly and very sensitive to power and angles. The next two that I tried were very much like a Thunderbird and that wasn't the spot I was trying to fill.

I didn't really care for the valk until I got champ ones. I've definitely seen a variety of stabilities in it but the halo is close to the most overstable champs I've thrown and I would rate it -1/1 @ 340-370' - star/champ thunderbirds fly very true to numbers for me (0/2) at that distance.

I was surprised that the halos are not as domey in this mold as what I have seen in wraiths and destroyers.

Had 1 Star and have 1 I-dye Champ and just can't throw them. I could try a light DX at some point I guess.

How far could you get the star? A DX valk is a very big step down. If you're on these forums, I'd likely suggest a pro valk. A pro valk is a good 1-2 notches less stable than a Star. At Midwest elevation most pro valks gets a pretty full S flight at even 300'. (If they're not super fresh with flashing or anything.)

In most discs, gstar is between star and pro. In my experience with valks though, gstar valks and star valks basically fly the same. The gstar valks just seem to mold up with a high PLH. At Midwest elevation star and gstar Valkyries generally get a full S flight at about 350' of distance for me.

Had 1 Star and have 1 I-dye Champ and just can't throw them. I could try a light DX at some point I guess.

I own more than a few Valks and have thrown multiples in every plastic except Glow. Without a doubt Gstar is the most consistent to flight numbers -2/-2, though it is a slightly faster disc. Pro is also consistent to start with but gets flippy much faster.

I own more than a few Valks and have thrown multiples in every plastic except Glow. Without a doubt Gstar is the most consistent to flight numbers -2/-2, though it is a slightly faster disc. Pro is also consistent to start with but gets flippy much faster.

I personally think most Valks are pretty true to that -2/2 flight, but that the more stable ones require a faster throw and more distance to get their pretty S-flight. Dx is definitely an outlier; it likely gets that -2/2 flight at 200-250' for most folks. Pro can start showing the S-flight at 300'. GStar and some Star can show it sometimes at 325', but usually more of a full S-flight at 350'. And champion can be much stiffer. Some of those older, stiff I-dye ones are stable enough that I can't get an S-flight out of them, but I'm not pushing them 400' (I don't really push anything 400' myself).

Valks are definitely a mold that exaggerates the inconsistencies from disc-to-disc. Something a bit slower and stubbier like a Teebird is a lot more consistent (although still has that Dx->GStar->Star->Champion progression).

I personally think most Valks are pretty true to that -2/2 flight, but that the more stable ones require a faster throw and more distance to get their pretty S-flight. Dx is definitely an outlier; it likely gets that -2/2 flight at 200-250' for most folks. Pro can start showing the S-flight at 300'. GStar and some Star can show it sometimes at 325', but usually more of a full S-flight at 350'. And champion can be much stiffer. Some of those older, stiff I-dye ones are stable enough that I can't get an S-flight out of them, but I'm not pushing them 400' (I don't really push anything 400' myself).

Valks are definitely a mold that exaggerates the inconsistencies from disc-to-disc. Something a bit slower and stubbier like a Teebird is a lot more consistent (although still has that Dx->GStar->Star->Champion progression).

I agree with this. Discs fly differently at different speeds of course, and the Valk readily demonstrates this point. For people who are throwing theirs in the 300-360' range a fresh GStar will most readily mimic the flight numbers. But for me beyond that distance I'm giving Champion some slight anny release to get the S-shape. I still can't get a Champion Thunderbird out beyond that distance but they're not far behind which speaks to crazy stability of Champ Valks.

GStar is my furthest flying Valk so far followed by Star/Pro. I've actually gotten it out to 400' once and feel like it could be repeatable if I had a more consistent release. I've never beaten in a Star enough to change the flight characteristics much but I would like to see it get to the fresh GStar phase and then stay there. Funny I'm not even bagging a Valk right now but I do field work with them all the time.

How far could you get the star? A DX valk is a very big step down. If you're on these forums, I'd likely suggest a pro valk. A pro valk is a good 1-2 notches less stable than a Star. At Midwest elevation most pro valks gets a pretty full S flight at even 300'. (If they're not super fresh with flashing or anything.)

In most discs, gstar is between star and pro. In my experience with valks though, gstar valks and star valks basically fly the same. The gstar valks just seem to mold up with a high PLH. At Midwest elevation star and gstar Valkyries generally get a full S flight at about 350' of distance for me.
My distance is laughable. So DX it is.

IMG_4295.jpeg

It might be criminal that I'm not bagging this Champ Valk lately.

Last edited:
My distance is laughable. So DX it is.

Respectfully disagree. I've been throwing Valkyries on and off for 15ish years, and with a good hyzerflip or tailwind DX ones go faaar. They power down well too for standstills/bad footing. My power level is rather proficient so if I can handle a DX so can you and others. I will say premium plastic is better for tighter fairways/heavily wooded courses.

More importantly you like Valkyries, great mold:thmbup:

So I've been enjoying a spread of Valkyries so far this spring. There are of course thousands of Valks out there. There's plenty of disc to disc variation, but on average I find most champion valks to be about a half tick more stable than star valks. (For similar weight, wear, etc.)

I can do a pretty reasonable job hyzer flipping a champion valk into a ~10mph headwind. But sometimes I'd like something just a touch more stable. I find most modern thunderbirds too danged beefy though.

So I was curious if anyone has much experience comparing the halo star valks to average champion and star valks. There's a nice stock of F2 halo valks in the pro shop, but I'm hesitating to pay the price premium for them. I'd likely bag them regardless, but I am curious just how stable folks have found them.

Thanks!

So I've been enjoying a spread of Valkyries so far this spring. There are of course thousands of Valks out there. There's plenty of disc to disc variation, but on average I find most champion valks to be about a half tick more stable than star valks. (For similar weight, wear, etc.)

I can do a pretty reasonable job hyzer flipping a champion valk into a ~10mph headwind. But sometimes I'd like something just a touch more stable. I find most modern thunderbirds too danged beefy though.

So I was curious if anyone has much experience comparing the halo star valks to average champion and star valks. There's a nice stock of F2 halo valks in the pro shop, but I'm hesitating to pay the price premium for them. I'd likely bag them regardless, but I am curious just how stable folks have found them.

Thanks!

I've got a pretty nice collection of Valks including a Halo. It's not domey but it is extremely heavy at 177g. I don't bag it or even throw it that much because of the weight but I can say that it doesn't seem anymore stable than my Champ or Star versions. Maybe it would beat in to be a great disc.

If you don't mind heavy drivers and you like the feel of Halo plastic then you probably would enjoy it.

Can anyone compare the Valkyrie, CD2/Dynasty and Beast (or any other Innova/Infinite mold that's similar) for me?

I'm looking for a disc that slots between a Star Thunderbird (pretty straight with a reliable, strong finish) and a Pro Beast (understable but not wildly so). 9-10 speed, finishes pretty straight when pushed out to around 370-380' on a small hyzer.

I've thrown a Champ Beast in this slot a little bit, I tried Pro Valks for a while and didn't like them but I was ass at throwing then.

Can anyone compare the Valkyrie, CD2/Dynasty and Beast (or any other Innova/Infinite mold that's similar) for me?

I'm looking for a disc that slots between a Star Thunderbird (pretty straight with a reliable, strong finish) and a Pro Beast (understable but not wildly so). 9-10 speed, finishes pretty straight when pushed out to around 370-380' on a small hyzer.

I've thrown a Champ Beast in this slot a little bit, I tried Pro Valks for a while and didn't like them but I was ass at throwing then.

If you're pushing it out over 375', then you'd likely benefit from a CD2/Dynasty. I think they ran mostly S-blend/I-blend thus far.

A champion Valkyrie would likely be close enough, and plenty easy to snag. As I mentioned above though, there are so damn many valks out there you'll definitely get some between disc variance.

A Savant can also fit in there; I just haven't had as much luck with them. (I've got a personal hang up that I like my drivers to have a noticeably concave wing, but that's just me.)

If you can know you're getting a champ Beast-X that would likely be good too. But it's a mess on Beast-X vs Beast-L these days. Sounds like you've experienced some of that already.

Wow, I can't believe nobody's posted in the Valkyrie thread for this long!

Well, there was a big delay on my order and I continued using my pro beasts, got a GStar Thunderbird and an I-Blend Dynasty in the meantime. But a few days ago my Valks finally arrived. I got a Halo, Pro and GStar to play around with, all max weight.

First off, these are not the same disc, check out the attached images for a comparison of PLH and wing shape, but they are some of the most drastic I've seen on new, max weight discs.

GStar Valkyrie, flies very understable; I've been throwing a 167g moderately beaten in Star Sidewinder for hyzerflip to turnover shots and some rollers recently, and this disc is more understable. It flies great however, can throw huge anhyzers that just hold with it or long, swooping hyzers in right to left winds, etc. I'd rate it at something like a 9/5/-3/1, maybe -4.

Pro Valkyrie, for now (pending tons of beating in) this is a pretty straight to slightly understable disc. It will turn decently and come back a little, I'm using it for straight hyzerflips mostly right now, 9/5/-2/1.

Halo Star Valkyrie, wow, I threw this pretty hard into a mild (10 mph-ish) headwind and it thought about flipping up, but didn't really. It's pretty flat, but not board flat, and it just flies straight and then fades, no real turn to speak of. It's not quite a Thunderbird, but comparing it to my GStar it's probably more overstable, or at least less pushed around by the wind. Something like maybe a 9/5/0/1.5.

The I-Blend Dynasty was great and slotted in between the Pro and Halo Valks, but I lost it at a tourney 6 hours from here and haven't managed to get it back yet.

Right now I'm covering all my 8-10 speed needs with Valks and one Firebird, though that may change as the pro and Halo beat in. Also picked up a Halo Sidewinder that flies more like how I imagine a fresh Star Valk flies, kind of like a faster, fresh *TL3.

So I picked up a DX Valkyrie by mistake (I somehow thought it was an Archangel...eh, someone with wings and a sword on the stamp)

172 I think? Totally different disc from the Star and Champ ones though. And actually flies good.

So I guess I can't hate all Valkyries anymore haha

When I first started playing disc golf the starter pack came with a 150 champ valk and it taught me to constantly throw flex shots. These days I throw almost entirely base plastic in slower molds. Wizard, dx stingray, dx roc, dx leopard, dx Teebird. I'm usually throwing a stingray or leopard off the tee. I bag a champ Teebird for headwind/downhill, and a champ firebird for spike hyzers into hurricane force headwinds. But even a dx valk is a bit of a meat hook for me, especially out of the box, and I don't think I get more distance with it, just less control. I was able to get a beat dx valk to go laser straight back when I could throw 300 feet, but those days are gone.

Last edited:
Everytime I kinda leave the Valk alone in my bag and start throwing other discs, she stares me down after some time and I revisit her greatness. Then I realize how great she really is all over again. Star 170g is my sweet spot and I can get this disc to really work for me, but my favorite is the flat to anny flex lines that many of my buddies struggle with.

Latest posts