• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things need to change for the better of disc golf

God, I hope not. Within a decade (maybe 2) television as we've always known it is going to be a shadow of its present self, which is already a shadow of its former self. Youtube, your smartphone, etc. That's the future.

You give us realistic folks too much credit. Just tell us to shut up if you don't like hearing the truth.

I've been railing against this puffy sweet vision of televised disc golf growing the sport since I've been here. About 1,600 courses have gone in the ground in the US alone, and we've have scads of new molds to try from new upstart companies and the big two alike. PDGA membership and tournament attendance is up too.

Yeah, I'm really going to do all that in just by voicing my opinion here.

It's absolute truth that disc golf being more mainstream will kill the spirit of disc golf?

I thought "retard" and "do in" meant 2 different things ...

"we've have"

I don't necessarily think I could set through watching a tourney on tv. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a highlight or two on ESPN once in a while. I think it'd be cool to see a few ace bombs here and there, and a few drives from Holly Finley would be nice as well.

I have been reading a few of the posts on this thread and I thought I'd add my two cents. I guess I am starting to lean against the need of Disc Golf to be on ESPN (TV) for it to feel like the sport has "made it". In my Disc Golf video travels I hear that from a lot of people. "If only we could get on ESPN then we will really blow up". I really believe the power is in our hands to continue with the growth of the sport. Traditional TV is slowly losing its hold on people as a way for people to consume content. Even the major networks are discovering this as they had online presence for popular TV shows.

Look at apps such as Vine where you create 6 second videos. Some of the Vine creators have over 1 million people that follow their Vine videos. I am telling you, the way people consume content is drastically changing.

When I first started producing Disc Golf videos my goal was to get my name out there and then when ESPN starts taking a look at the sport I could work for ESPN. I soon learned that was far from becoming a reality. But now I am ok with that because I know that I can create content that people will watch and I can control just about everything about that content. Now, the quality and demands of Disc Golf videos on Youtube have changed since I started. I am quickly discovering that I need to improve my way of covering events to keep up with the awesome pool of Disc Golf Media producers that are popping up everywhere.

I agree that it would be beneficial for the Disc Golf Media producers out there to start working together but I know that takes time and money that most producers out there are short on. I am trying to learn more about Disc Golf Media producers out there on my Disc Golf Media Show podcast.

I know everyone out there is hungry for more good quality videos and I know the best is yet to come.