• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things that DGers do, but Why???

I know a few guys, usually players who are not quite as good as they think they are, who will quit or want you to think they quit, if they are in danger of losing a round. They suddenly have to quit after nine holes or they start throwing rollers or other out of character shots to try to show that they were just goofing around the whole time and not really trying to put together a solid round. Some people have such fragile egos.

Sometimes, if I am really sucky, I'll throw those "out of character shots " just to get away from myself and to perhaps learn something. But I don't think I'm better than I am, I know I suck.

Sometimes, if I am really sucky, I'll throw those "out of character shots " just to get away from myself and to perhaps learn something. But I don't think I'm better than I am, I know I suck.

I get that people do that. That's not the case with the guys I'm talking about. These guys are serious as a judge when the round starts but turn it into a joke round when they are losing. They are not willing to let you think you beat them. They quit before that can happen.

Players who use DGCR to record thousands of courses played yet never leave a single review in 11 years of use....WTF? It's disc golf course review, not Disc golf courses i've played, give a little back fer gawds sake. (Yep, I just found the members stats pages for the first time and shocked to see how many people just use this as a course bagging record without ever helping other players make a choice of where to play. Play it, review it, or at least review some of them!!

I admit I'm not a big reviewer, mostly because I personally don't rely at all on previous reviews; disc golf course, restaurants, movies, etc. There's too much subjective stuff on individual bases that to me make reviews purposeless to read. However, I do realize there are others that think differently, and that's fantastic.

I would strongly argue that there are other ways to increase available information on each course page to help others decide to play. For example, if a course doesn't have many pictures, I will go to that course and post as many useful photos as possible.

I get that people do that. That's not the case with the guys I'm talking about. These guys are serious as a judge when the round starts but turn it into a joke round when they are losing. They are not willing to let you think you beat them. They quit before that can happen.

Or, similarly, when folks walk up to putts in the 10-15' range and try a putt with style points:
> Opposite hand
> Under the leg
> Around the back
> Two at once
> Etc.
So, when they miss the conversation was, "it was a gimmie, I was just messing around" but then you play a tournament or league round with them and they routinely miss putts from the same distance. :thmbdown:

Speaking of odd things;
Came upon a group last week drinking and smoking away on a bench. They let us go through, but one of them had a stroller with their 4-5 year old daughter in it. Future pole dancer perhaps?

a guy i played a lot of golf with in the 90's used to bring his toddler son out in a stroller. when someone walked up him and started talking the toddler would start coughing. i asked the guy if maybe he shouldn't be dragging him around in the woods if he was getting sick, to which he replied "he isn't sick, he's trying to communicate". i must have looked like i didn't understand so he continued, "you know when we all meet here and everyone is smoking and laughing and coughing, he's just trying to fit in". i have never forgotten that lesson. kids are watching ALL the time.

Yeah, I don't let that fly in my groups. If someone paces it out, I count with them and make sure they get to at least 11 (I suggest 12 just to be sure) before they declare themselves outside the circle. Also have to watch to be sure they're taking full, 3-foot-ish strides. Sometimes the terrain forces a short stride or two to step over/around an obstacle and you have to be aware of that as you count.

You should actually be looking for 14 steps for men, 16 for women to be safely outside the putting circle!
https://livehealthy.chron.com/average-walking-stride-length-7494.html

But they know. They know.

Yeah, I don't let that fly in my groups. If someone paces it out, I count with them and make sure they get to at least 11 (I suggest 12 just to be sure) before they declare themselves outside the circle. Also have to watch to be sure they're taking full, 3-foot-ish strides. Sometimes the terrain forces a short stride or two to step over/around an obstacle and you have to be aware of that as you count.

While I agree, I find that the 10 M circle is always way closer than my expectation when playing events where it's painted. I'm pretty confident now just looking because I don't like step/jump putts until about 38 feet or so.

Things dgers do, but why: Listen to music with earbuds because it helps them concentrate, but expect other players to be able to concentrate while having to notify them for everything

I was teeing off on hole 18 at the local course the other day, right as I threw a guy, disc golfer, wearing earbuds just strolls on the fairway, I'm yelling my head off at him, driver flies behind and he never noticed it. Part of me is glad it missed him but part wishes it would have smacked the idiot in the head.

Players who use DGCR to record thousands of courses played yet never leave a single review in 11 years of use....WTF? !

I have played 94 courses, soon to be over 100, I've only left 1 review....
I usually do not read the reviews for any given course, I look at the course info, the rating (based on the reviews, I get it), and the course photos...I also look for video flyovers of any course I am thinking of playing. Those factors are what determine whether or not I play a course, NOT the opinion of someone else.

And besides, even the worst course I've ever played, (Flanacher Park, Baton Rouge) was
a reasonably good time, in spite of the horrible course layout. For those that like Flanacher, more power to you...just not a good design for my likings. Hole 3 was a nightmare.

I do not see myself ever reviewing another course, there are plenty of DGers that write really nice critiques....I will leave that for them....

I've wanted to do that (say it was a gimme) but you just can't. People should not call their own gimmes. It's awkward.

A friend of mine spent 4 months down in Phoenix last winter and played as much DG as he could find time for. He told me that some of the guys he played with down there considered anything inside 15' a gimmie. Now when I play him I'll ask if my putt is an "Arizona gimmie". *I don't take gimmies but I have to razz him.

To be fair he sometimes played with Anthony Barela so I guess it really was a gimmie for him.

Players who use DGCR to record thousands of courses played yet never leave a single review in 11 years of use....WTF? It's disc golf course review, not Disc golf courses i've played, give a little back fer gawds sake. (Yep, I just found the members stats pages for the first time and shocked to see how many people just use this as a course bagging record without ever helping other players make a choice of where to play. Play it, review it, or at least review some of them!!
Some pepel dont right so good
Some people don't write so easily.
Sometimes people don't have anything new to add.
Some people don't want to subject themselves to the overly critical (and often outright jerks) DGCR audience.
Some read the great reviews and feel unworthy.

Anyway, lots of reasons not to write reviews.

I write reviews when I think I have something to contribute as far as a given course is concerned.

Some pepel dont right so good
Some people don't write so easily.
Sometimes people don't have anything new to add.
Some people don't want to subject themselves to the overly critical (and often outright jerks) DGCR audience.
Some read the great reviews and feel unworthy.

Anyway, lots of reasons not to write reviews.

I write reviews when I think I have something to contribute as far as a given course is concerned.

Amen!! Especially the "outright jerks" part.....I have experienced that first hand.... I may have been that "jerk" at some point....and to others, I may still be that "jerk"....

which leads to valuable words of wisdom from my Dad:

"Do not concern yourself with what others think, unless those "others" are friends or family."

:thmbup:

played a lot of courses but don't write reviews. again, if I don't feel I'm contributing significantly to the description I don't feel my comments are all that important....

I hate the loud guy at the course who yells and curses at the top of his lungs after every crappy throw he has(which is about every throw). Then when he does have a good throw, he yells just as loud so that everybody on the course knows. The only time anyone should yell on a course is if you hit an Ace or you're close to hitting somebody.

People on Udisc that who lie about having great rounds all the time at your local courses. Then when you actually play them, the player doesn't have the slightest clue of which disc to use for the situation, and shoots nowhere near the course par. I know that we all have bad rounds, but this was no bad round for this guy.

Latest posts