• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things that DGers do, but Why???

Playing my home course solo and two visitors from the next state over asked if I'd play with them to show them the course. Of course. We're on hole 6 and someone is walking around with no discs along if we found a blue teebird. We had not. Fast forward to hole 13, one of the guys finds the teebird, announced it and put it in his bag. 10 minutes later i see the guy who lost the disc, now playing another round and i call out to him that we found it. Man, I'll never forget the death stare the guy who found it gave me until he realized there was no way out and conceded that he had to give it back and acted cool about it. Awkward silence for the rest of the round made me kinda feel a bit guilty until they drove away immediately after 18. I'd do it again 10 times out of 10. What's with people?

I likely would have said something to them like "around here people don't keep discs that don't belong to them".

The player that lines up a shot with 10 pump fakes always directly on a line between him and the basket (ie never where you would want your contact point to be.) Then finally throws and does nothing like he just lined up. Why? Why did you do that? Why? It's like nails down a blackboard to me, it hurts my soul.

The player that lines up a 10', putt for 30 seconds then misses, why didn't you just pick it up and throw it in? Hmmm? ....oh yeh...that's me that does that... I've no idea why, I just like to torture myself I suppose, try and persuade myself I will make it this time for 30 seconds before missing.

A lot of the rest of the above i've probably been guilty of, i'm pretty sure I hold the disc on the teebox as a story stick way more often than the people I play with would like....

Finishing up on hole 18 last night, we hear "Look out muther ****ers I'm throwing!" We turn to see what was going on and there was a shirtless goofball up on the tee pad. He winds up and unleashes a tomahawk directly into the trees. Hahaha. It was pretty funny. He then lets loose a string of obsenities, ****in muther ****ers need to get the **** outa my way so I can throw... Pretty sure the dude was cranked up on something, it was a great way to end the round.

This criticism is not necessarily limited to 'chuckers'. I remember quite distinctly playing a tournament many years ago, when my group was waiting to tee on a hole, when a former world champion nearly 400' feet away on a hole a few back of ours, shouted loudly to our group 'get the f*ck out of my line' when lining up his putt (he was not joking)...incidentally, this was my first and only round I have ever played with Climo, who was a part of that (our) group...Climo shot an effortless -9 (par 54) and I dare say he appeared a little bored with the game that day...

Raffles. Most disc golfers are obsessed with raffles. Just take your money, and buy what you want.

In my short 6 years of playing, I am guilty of some of the things mentioned in this thread....I have SEEN nearly everything mentioned in this thread...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far in the 8 pages I have read through....very annoying to me, at least (especially when I am guilty of it)..

Players who are totally UNAWARE of when their disc is now the farthest from the basket, hence, it is now YOUR turn to throw. How hard is this concept? It happens to all of us, occasionally. Once they do realize or are told, NOW they can start the process of : getting to their disc; looking at the shot; determining what disc to throw; cleaning said disc; and going through their routine....finally throw the thing....then the whole process starts again on the next throw....AAARRRRGGGHHHH !

As an aside, and again we all have done it....following other players to their disc, when your disc is somewhere back there, and you have just walked halfway to the basket....DONE IT!!

Ummm, I've done this both ways. Ouch. Being out, and not playing, and being in and playing before the out player. Sigh. I have an excuse though, I'm old...

As penance you must throw a roller-only round. :| :|

;) :p :D

I've done this, and it is SUPER fun. You need a decent roller to do it, but if you have one, forcing yourself to throw really stupid rollers is a great time.

Mine is:
Noob buys OS Speed 14 driver
Noob hits one tree
Noob throws awful OAT turnover
Noob stops throwing disc because it is "too flippy now"

Last edited:
The first thing that I see many Disc Golfers do, but why??

Go heel to toe three times to measure out a meter. Good attempt at being accurate but I'm sure it is not. Drop your mini down "close enough", without the extra effort. If someone has a meter stick with them they can say something.
My size 13 boots are 12" long.
3x12=36" and a meter is 39" and some change so i'm within the parameters of the rule which is UP TO A METER relief from OB

I know a few guys, usually players who are not quite as good as they think they are, who will quit or want you to think they quit, if they are in danger of losing a round. They suddenly have to quit after nine holes or they start throwing rollers or other out of character shots to try to show that they were just goofing around the whole time and not really trying to put together a solid round. Some people have such fragile egos.

Players who use DGCR to record thousands of courses played yet never leave a single review in 11 years of use....WTF? It's disc golf course review, not Disc golf courses i've played, give a little back fer gawds sake. (Yep, I just found the members stats pages for the first time and shocked to see how many people just use this as a course bagging record without ever helping other players make a choice of where to play. Play it, review it, or at least review some of them!!

Piggy backing on the 3foots length thing:

When players measure out only 10paces thinking that 10yards/10steps is equal to 10metric meters to verify if a putt is outside the circle.

32.8feet is about 10meters so that's more often almost a normal 11 steps.

Piggy backing on the 3foots length thing:

When players measure out only 10paces thinking that 10yards/10steps is equal to 10metric meters to verify if a putt is outside the circle.

32.8feet is about 10meters so that's more often almost a normal 11 steps.

Yeah, I don't let that fly in my groups. If someone paces it out, I count with them and make sure they get to at least 11 (I suggest 12 just to be sure) before they declare themselves outside the circle. Also have to watch to be sure they're taking full, 3-foot-ish strides. Sometimes the terrain forces a short stride or two to step over/around an obstacle and you have to be aware of that as you count.

Latest posts