• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things that DGers do, but Why???

Anything dogs do is utter perfection. Up to, and including, being rabid and tearing into my leg.

Haha I miss my old dog but I don't miss the leg humping... but damn he could find lost discs and errant drives like a champ. "Feed Jake, he's been a good dog..."

Dogs are very honest they tell you what they are thinking. My new guy Lobo is a super sweet Mexican rescue, unfortunately he's also some part whippet or greyhound I don't know if he will ever be off leash discing but I'm glad the crowd I play with help me manage him, one dog on a leash is a lot of luggage. I think the crowd is just happy I'm playing more again , half the excuse I do it is to get the dog out. Yes he craps in the woods and only seems to bark when I throw..

Everytime I read this thread I see more stuff I'm guilty of.

I learned a lot from playing with a buddy of mines dog who used stand 30ft in front of the tee pad and bark.
Learned to focus and zone out noise. All those guys demanding quiet while they tee off? Me, nah, you could have a party going on and I wouldn't notice while I'm on the box.

Dogs are fine by me. Just don't expect me to hold his leash every time you throw; I came to play, not baby sit. And don't expect me to stop my round so we can search for your dog that picked up the trail of some furry animal and disappeared.

Speaking of odd things;
Came upon a group last week drinking and smoking away on a bench. They let us go through, but one of them had a stroller with their 4-5 year old daughter in it. Future pole dancer perhaps?

In my short 6 years of playing, I am guilty of some of the things mentioned in this thread....I have SEEN nearly everything mentioned in this thread...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far in the 8 pages I have read through....very annoying to me, at least (especially when I am guilty of it)..

Players who are totally UNAWARE of when their disc is now the farthest from the basket, hence, it is now YOUR turn to throw. How hard is this concept? It happens to all of us, occasionally. Once they do realize or are told, NOW they can start the process of : getting to their disc; looking at the shot; determining what disc to throw; cleaning said disc; and going through their routine....finally throw the thing....then the whole process starts again on the next throw....AAARRRRGGGHHHH !

As an aside, and again we all have done it....following other players to their disc, when your disc is somewhere back there, and you have just walked halfway to the basket....DONE IT!!

We have guys in our leagues that bring their kids in strollers. I actually don't mind that as much as dogs. The kids just sit in the stroller and are quiet. I guess I don't know what I would feel like if they were crying incessantly. It's worse when they bring their toddler children. I have been on a card where the kid was grabbing discs out of bags while we were throwing and tossing them randomly.

Still less of a distraction than a dog though. I understand that people love their animals, but I promise you that no matter how well behaved you think your dog is, it is far far less than that. I don't want to turn this thread into a "dogs on the course?" discussion, but there is a reason why you can't have them in a sanctioned round.

...I have been on a card where the kid was grabbing discs out of bags while we were throwing and tossing them randomly. ...

If the kid's throws were not made as a competitive attempt to change the lie or to set aside an unused disc or to return a disc to a player, call the kid a caddy and add practice throw penalties to the parent's score.:D

If the kid's throws were not made as a competitive attempt to change the lie or to set aside an unused disc or to return a disc to a player, call the kid a caddy and add practice throw penalties to the parent's score.:D

This would cut down on parents that dont tell little Johnny "No"

What is NBK?

Coincidental

Natural Born Killers was a movie, and there is a famous scene where a joke is told, and the punchline is "Johnny NOOOOOO!" Just thought I would check.

One thing that has always been odd to me is the way that it seems anyone who has been discing over a year or two seems to assume that they know more than whoever they are playing with.

Happens to me a lot when I'm playing and I'm a good player. Like I'll park a a 350 FH and an older player who has been playing 3 years was all, "oh yeah I used to throw a ton of forehands when I started playing. But I've really evolved my game and throw a turnover on that shot now".

Okay man, I've been playing longer than you... and you left your shot 100ft short. So maybe climb down off your high horse.

We should play a round. I never assume I know more than anyone and never offer unsolicited advice. Well except "have fun".

People who won't carry water. Beer, yes. Water, no. Never will understand. I carry 40oz in warm weather. Sometimes only 20 in cooler. But I carry water.

Part of playing an individual sport played in groups is that everyone does the basics to not put another person in the group in a dangerous/emergency situation. Watch where you throw. Keep yourself in playing condition during the round. Look out for one another. It's not hard.

"Water is for cowards, water makes you weak. Now we are going to up-downs until Blue here is no longer tired or thirsty" Coach Boone Remember the Titans

We should play a round. I never assume I know more than anyone and never offer unsolicited advice. Well except "have fun".

Always down for a round. If you find yourself in Atlanta or close PM me.

I always think this is funny too. Whenever I see someone do it I reply "Yep, looks like gravity still works".

Gave that same response to someone today, it was all in good fun though because it was windy when he leaned down. Not so much when he dropped the grass, then again after the putt.

Don't know if it's been said yet, but players who treat a disc like it's the talking stick. You know the ones. They're just about to throw, but they have to tell a story first? Then everyone else is held as a story hostage. Just throw the bleeping disc!

Don't know if it's been said yet, but players who treat a disc like it's the talking stick. You know the ones. They're just about to throw, but they have to tell a story first? Then everyone else is held as a story hostage. Just throw the bleeping disc!

Ive been guilty of telling a story of how I throw it, not why it's the disc, I just say what I like abou it.

"ITS A TEE BOX NOT A SOAP BOX!!"

There is a division for those guys... Senior GrandMasters

Old-Mans-Talking.gif

I learned a lot from playing with a buddy of mines dog who used stand 30ft in front of the tee pad and bark.
Learned to focus and zone out noise. All those guys demanding quiet while they tee off? Me, nah, you could have a party going on and I wouldn't notice while I'm on the box.

Dogs are fine by me. Just don't expect me to hold his leash every time you throw; I came to play, not baby sit. And don't expect me to stop my round so we can search for your dog that picked up the trail of some furry animal and disappeared.

Same. In fact I feel like I can focus and hit my lines BETTER when there is a bunch of mayhem around me. Can make me giggle when i'm on a card with people that need absolute silence for every single shot no matter how not technical it may be.

I wish my dog would be mellow. I don't take him to the course because he takes to much effort and focus but I play with a lot of people that have super awesome well behaved dogs and are good owners to boot.

Latest posts