• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things that DGers do, but Why???

Or in my case being a minor, nobody will let me play though unless I can prove I can throw better than them, really pisses me off.

Lots of players refuse to play though during casual rounds when or if I am playing slow, sometimes it takes a bit to find the disc I am looking for on the ground. They can tell I am slow so they purposely tail me.

These are often the people who play with 3 discs and never ever mark a lie past the tee pad and in a tournament you have to remind them before every throw to mark lie with a mini or use previous disc. You have to lend them a mini that they will lose during the tournament at some point, maybe even lending another they will then keep.

840-rated players with pre drive and putt rituals that don't really seem to help them at all and just waste time. Some of these guys I like and respect alot as people but drive me nuts to play golf with. I like to keep a steady pace, and playing with these guys sometimes determine whether I will get in the 2nd round I also wanted to play. A two hour round quickly becomes 3 and a half. :wall:

I got that, a player who was Grandmaster but in some smaller c tier tournaments he would play Open Pro if not enough Pro players and he was playing in my group one or two tournaments. He abused the Free and clear of distractions rule when putting then took the max amount of time to allow that. He did other things but were not related to this so no need to talk about those.

I got that, a player who was Grandmaster but in some smaller c tier tournaments he would play Open Pro if not enough Pro players and he was playing in my group one or two tournaments. He abused the Free and clear of distractions rule when putting then took the max amount of time to allow that. He did other things but were not related to this so no need to talk about those.

You piqued my interest... Let's talk about 'those'... Did he use a smashed beer can as a mini? I'm guilty.

You piqued my interest... Let's talk about 'those'... Did he use a smashed beer can as a mini? I'm guilty.

Nope, he had a mini, played by the rules, he felt you should only use a mini to mark discs with. I just used only the mini the whole round with this guy who also argued other rules when a disc was under a tree and just because mr. long legs 6 foot 4 inches grandmaster could fit a leg under the fallen tree to throw the disc did not mean that me 5 foot 2 inches could fit a leg under, I was going to play on top and had to make two throws a top set on the log for that throw and as best as I could fit as close to behind the disc as I could get. The one I said was right. Also you needed unanimous ruling to let a group play through if yours is playing slow. This was on the same hole I took a provisional the other group got mad and one player purposly hit me in the head during play. Well the guy was Disqualified and the other friends in that group left except the guy who's discs they were using, he got Disqualified in second round as he was found releasing the disc when feet were over the cement teepad, he was in the gravel that was after the pads to protect the ground. He said: I thought the gravel was the end of the teepad, that is how my friends and I always played this course, in fact watch everybody else in tournament do the same. No one else did the drive that way.

Over 5 min mark in above post

His abusal of the free and clear of distractions was to the point of waiting until nothing else was in line of sight behind basket, I get that but waiting for the rare moment it was dead silent not even other baskets with the ching sound was really dumb. Then he had the twich 50 times taking the full amount of time to putt and some time by taking the full amount a new distraction would appear and we would have to start that process over again.

People who bring their dogs and remove their leash, and then spend the next 2 hours yelling at their dog to come back. Shut up! You are way more annoying than anything your dog is doing.

I play with a guy who does this INCESSANTLY.

Insists "he's been doing great, I'm just going to leave him off" and then of course it's charging you and barking while you're teeing off, chasing discs and interfering with rolls etc. SUPER inconsiderate.

He leaves him off leash and you can hear him across the whole course screaming at the dog after every throw to leave it- which of course he goes last making everyone else deal with his charging and barking because he doesn't want the dog to touch his discs. It's gotten out of hand and the dog is about to be banned because dad doesn't have the sense to keep him on leash or leave him tf home.

Beyond annoying and really inconsiderate to make everyone else put up with his dog- which is otherwise an awesome pup- and simply make excuses for the bad behavior rather than put in any real effort to stop it. I literally dread him bringing he dog. I hate playing with it. HATE IT.

Step up to the practice basket with 6+ putters in hand, stand 35'+ away, send them in at a rate of 1 putt/second, and contact metal maybe once. Repeat. Yeah that's going to make you drain putts today.

Related...players who warm up prior to a tournament round with a stack of putters (4+) and insist on putting all of them even when everyone else using the basket is throwing at most three, forcing them to all stand around while he finishes before they can retrieve their discs. In my experience, those guys aren't the rapid fire types either. They're the run-through-the-whole-routine-on-each-putt guys.

If there are multiple people using a basket to putt (practice basket or the closest one to your starting tee before a round), don't use more than two putters and don't throw 50+ footers. Respect the pace set by everyone else present.

Insists "he's been doing great, I'm just going to leave him off" and then of course it's charging you and barking while you're teeing off, chasing discs and interfering with rolls etc. SUPER inconsiderate.

He leaves him off leash and you can hear him across the whole course screaming at the dog after every throw to leave it- which of course he goes last making everyone else deal with his charging and barking because he doesn't want the dog to touch his discs. It's gotten out of hand and the dog is about to be banned because dad doesn't have the sense to keep him on leash or leave him tf home.

Beyond annoying and really inconsiderate to make everyone else put up with his dog- which is otherwise an awesome pup- and simply make excuses for the bad behavior rather than put in any real effort to stop it. I literally dread him bringing he dog. I hate playing with it. HATE IT.

Dude, wtf are you doing allowing it to happen over and over again? Just politely explain to him that he is a ****ty dog owner, and the ****ty dog has to stay home from now on. Its not hard.

Related...players who warm up prior to a tournament round with a stack of putters (4+) and insist on putting all of them....

Agree. One reason why I usually walk way out on the course to find an unoccupied basket for warmup. At least it works for shotgun start mode.

I just read NovaPs post and another thing that gets me is players automatically assuming they know more than women players. Or have to explain something that they already know, but are too polite to tell them to buzz off.

I've seen a dude try to explain an X step to a highly rated female player when he was rated like 840 too many times.

That's pathetic. I have a "no advice to anyone unless they ask for it" policy. The only exception is if they tell me they are absolute newbs and even then I always ask permission to give them advice...

Or in my case being a minor, nobody will let me play though unless I can prove I can throw better than them, really pisses me off.

That's equally pathetic. Sorry people are treating you like that. Well look at it this way: Its a good life lesson for you to remember on how NOT to treat other dg'ers regardless of age.

I feel your pain. There is an individual, a very nice man with a sweet dog, who I actively avoid. He has turned me into a stalker. I follow group texts and emails trying to ascertain where he'll be playing and when. I feel like I need a new emoji for myself. One that says creepily antisocial.:p

Hey so the extra disc in hand... I do that too or try to if I'm missing putts, kinda like throwing short putts with the bag on, it is mentally to make me feel it is a more casual round then it is.

When I practice I have a stack of three or four in my off hand that I tuck behind my back, it does turn my shoulders different. In my round I don't because I think it looks dumb but.. If I practice like that why not putt like it.

The treatment of women... its a tough road, it's guaranteed there's at least one idiot in a group of ten "I'd follow that all day" or whatever comment. I also like the loud "Hey do you see that chick's ........ ?" and the assumption that they are all available and looking for some 55 year old guy that lives in a trailer on someone elses property without a shower, wears a bucket hat, rides a bike and cant seem to find steady employment.

FWIW I'm not intentionally spreading hate on bucket hats or bikes.

Worse is when you step in a pile of dog sh*t that some fool never bothered to pick up on a course where it is clearly marked "NO DOGS ALLOWED"! Almost every course I have played has this rule stated plainly in site, usually on a bulletin board at the course. What needs to be done in these cases is to have some type of enforcement of the rule by the people running the course, which is usually a park district around my parts. Some even threaten a fine for people violating the rule but I have never seen it enforced. Just within the last week stepped in a pile while on the newly re-designed West Park course located in Joliet, Il. On a course marked "No Pets Allowed" witnessed 3 separate people walking a total of 4 dogs. None were carrying along "poop bags". Another course located close to my home is notorious for this. Sometimes you even run into a pile almost dead center on the tee pad. No dog has that type of uncanny "accuracy" on its own!

How can you tell if someone is carrying poop bags? They take up as much space in a pocket as an empty sandwich bag.

BTW, I always carry at least two and clean up after my dog. She almost always goes into the woods now, near the first tee. She's a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The throwing up grass/leaves always gets me.

Like, don't your skin and eyes work? You can't feel the wind? Or see the movement of the trees and grass?

I always think this is funny too. Whenever I see someone do it I reply "Yep, looks like gravity still works".

This was not always the case. I've worked (forumed?) my butt off to get cred around here, and I put up with a lot of guff from some annoying edgelords back in the day.

I'm note sure what the edgelords said, but try looking at what the edgelords post in the Par thread. I think contempt, rudeness, and general childishness is universal.

I'd also note that you indeed succeeded, all on your ownsees.

Nope, he had a mini, played by the rules, he felt you should only use a mini to mark discs with. I just used only the mini the whole round with this guy who also argued other rules when a disc was under a tree and just because mr. long legs 6 foot 4 inches grandmaster could fit a leg under the fallen tree to throw the disc did not mean that me 5 foot 2 inches could fit a leg under, I was going to play on top and had to make two throws a top set on the log for that throw and as best as I could fit as close to behind the disc as I could get. The one I said was right. Also you needed unanimous ruling to let a group play through if yours is playing slow. This was on the same hole I took a provisional the other group got mad and one player purposly hit me in the head during play. Well the guy was Disqualified and the other friends in that group left except the guy who's discs they were using, he got Disqualified in second round as he was found releasing the disc when feet were over the cement teepad, he was in the gravel that was after the pads to protect the ground. He said: I thought the gravel was the end of the teepad, that is how my friends and I always played this course, in fact watch everybody else in tournament do the same. No one else did the drive that way.

This statement clears up several questions for me.