• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why the PDGA has a dress code.

If we start having a dress code that requires me to where something I can't even drive in or stretch putt I'll be done playing tournys I'm not messing up my good clothes either.

While I've played with individuals wearing attire that was well past it's discard date, I don't like the idea of a dress code. I like disc golf because it represents 2 things I cherish about the USA; freedom and individuality. It would be harmful for the growth of the sport to deny participants the right to compete based on their attire.

The sentence preceding the one quoted by the OP should be included. The entire paragraph:
"In Augusta, drop such athletic terms as "greens," "putter" and "needs more mustard," and everyone assumes you're talking about the Masters, the legendary golf tournament held each April at Augusta National Golf Club. But on a recent Sunday, the players were neither sporting fancy pants nor wielding gleaming irons. Instead, they wore crumpled T-shirts and dusty sneakers, and toted colorful discs as small as dessert plates. These men, and a few women, represented the every-Augustan sport of disc golf."

They're comparing disc golf on a public course to the most highly manicured private ball golf course, club, and tournament in the world. I think even the wildlife use "proper decorum" there. The dress code for the public bolf courses in Madison pretty much just prevents people from playing shirtless, in a swimsuit, or in sandals. You can wear sneakers, jorts, and a tank-top.

I'm sure it does. But this is about perception rather than reality.
Perception becomes reality. So the question is: what do you want people to think about:
you?
the sport?
Do you even care?

Last edited:
I always wear a polo when I play. I just like wearing polo's myself. I wonder if the hats have to be a certain kind. I wear a safari hat I got at an army surplus.

Not to mention nearly every square inch of California which is not irrigated is dusty at least 6 months a year and probably more.

It's all about context like many of you have mentioned. A pdga event out in the boonies to me is a bit different than one in a highly visible public park.

Also while it's good to have some self awareness we definately should not actively be trying to be ball golf. Let's have our own identity.

I'm pretty sure all of the ball golf envy that pops up on boards like this is just a redirection of age old green envy.

bradharris - It shows an outsider's view of the sport and those that participate in it. While ball golf gets terms like "fancy" and "gleaming" we get "crumpled" and "dusty."
From a marketing standpoint, there's a much bigger market fine with "crumpled" and "dusty" (the 99%) than the market (the 1%) where "fancy" and "gleaming" is appealing. Note the 5% annual decline in the "fancy" and "gleaming" sport and the 15% annual growth in the "crumpled" and "dusty" sport.

some guy showed up wearing golf gear but with nice shorts not pants and i was thinking what a tool....then he throws a 600 foot impossible shot on the first tee....OMG! don't judge a book by its cover.

I wear boardshorts to play in because i go play volleyball after discin, i get teased for not being granola enough.

From a marketing standpoint, there's a much bigger market fine with "crumpled" and "dusty" (the 99%) than the market (the 1%) where "fancy" and "gleaming" is appealing. Note the 5% annual decline in the "fancy" and "gleaming" sport and the 15% annual growth in the "crumpled" and "dusty" sport.

I'm curious about these numbers. Are you referring to marketing and "viewership" growth, or participation growth?

While ball golf may be losing some of it's participation, it's popularity as a spectator sport seems (to my uneducated view) to be holding very steady.

Disc golf on the other hand is rapidly growing in participation, but doesn't seem to be any more marketable now than it was a decade ago. Whether or not that's because of it's image is debatable.

You really have to understand the context of the article first, it was written by a travel writer for the Washington Post doing an article about traveling to Augusta for the Masters. She was taken to a $10 non sanctioned Saturday tournament, basically a league day at a local course and thats what she saw. Really we should be happy that we are even included in an article like this let alone featured and it has been great press since it has been re printed in newspapers all over the country int he last 2 weeks.

Yes for sanctioned events/ high level disc golf events, i think we should be dressing in clean fashion forward attire to clean up the image of the sport and attract sponsors.

I'm pretty sure all of the ball golf envy that pops up on boards like this is just a redirection of age old green envy.

It's not ball golf envy. I don't ever expect to see disc golfers on the course in nice shoes, khakis and neatly pressed polos. However, I would like to see disc golfers dress like athletes, particularly when competing.

I'm going golfing after work (ball golf). I'll be wearing a crumpled t-shirt and dusty sneakers.

I'm not golf-ist. I dress that way when playing both. :)

I wouldn't mind if there was more of a professional atmosphere on the course. I usually wear a polo shirt and golf pants anyways, so following a dress code wouldn't bother me. I've even played in suit and tie before. The tie acts as a windsock during putting.

The rule for teachers, as it is in any profession, is that when you are a professional, look the part. If I am hanging out with students playing an afterschool activity or just out in public, I love shorts and a screen printed t-shirt. When I am in the classroom, I definitely have to dress up a little more.

If we are talking about a professional sport, look the part of a professional. The question really is, what should a professional look like in this sport?

If we are talking about a professional sport, look the part of a professional. The question really is, what should a professional look like in this sport?

27046854.jpg

This is pretty far down the list of why we aren't taken seriously.