• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on my tee sign design?

I looked at all the best signs in the area, pro tour, etc. to try and create something simple and modern, but useful! I wanted to include the hole elevation but couldn't work out a way to include it without it looking messy. Let me know your thoughts.

atrnlYc.png

Pretty sharp.

I have no use for meters, but perhaps a random Canadian or Lithuania will wander onto the course. I would love to see the hole number a bit more pronounced. I like the ability to really see the sign and hole number from a distance. Especially on a course where there are a couple/few signs visible from a basket.

Looks pretty good, but I completely echo ru4's comment about the hole # being large enough to to easily see from a distance.

If you stop to think about it, hole # is the only thing that needs to be visible from a distance. Everything else just needs to be legible from the tee/surrounding area.

Tee markers are a valuable aid to navigation. When things are done right, players shouldn't have to use a map or U-Disc to navigate the course.

On a well-marked marked course, upon grabbing your disc after holing out, you should be able to look around and see either a tee marker with the next hole #, or a next tee sign pointing toward the next tee marker.

Why do some trees have black holes in the middle?

Alt pin locations, and they plan to use MVP baskets? :p

My guess is:

The black holes represent trunks that can result in a bad kick. The rest is just bushes, shrubs, brush, etc... something that's more likely to swallow a disc than give you a bad kick.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, but I completely echo ru4's comment about the hole # being large enough to to easily see from a distance.

If you stop to think about it, hole # is the only thing that needs to be visible from a distance. Everything else just needs to be legible from the tee/surrounding area.

Tee markers are a valuable aid to navigation. When things are done right, players shouldn't have to use a map or U-Disc to navigate the course.

On a well-marked marked course, upon grabbing your disc after holing out, you should be able to look around and see either a tee marker with the next hole #, or a next tee sign pointing toward the next tee marker.

Great points. I might further add that tee placement, in the tee area, is a very important decision, as well. Try to choose the side of the tee that allows the face of the sign to point toward the last basket.

For readability: make the hole number straight (bigger was already mentioned), and there is no need for tenths of meters. Meters, yes, just no decimal point. Use lower-case "m" for meters.

Why do some trees have black holes in the middle?

I took the idea from the signs that the DGPT use. They show tree trunks. It will be especially useful on the wooded holes that this course primarily consists of. I only included the trunks on trees that are specifically in play. Those which are way off the fairway are just shown as a clump of trees.

Like I said, in the thick woods which the very tall trees, it will allow me to show the obstacles more clearly and give points of reference.

Couple of thoughts after having done some of these myself:

1.) Maybe the drop shadows are confusing in some locations. When any gradation fades to paper white your output device will often not be able to render the lightest part of the transition so you get a hard line instead of a soft fade.
2.) Type is good. Setting hole numbers at an angle is not going to help it read at distance.
3.) Consider the key. You may need OB or Mandos, so something like the black dot in the center of certain trees could be used to inform.
4.) Consider the scale and what value there might be in making each hole on each sign to the same scale so a short hole would be smaller/less space on the sign vs. the longest hole which would be at max size for the sign dimensions.

I took the idea from the signs that the DGPT use. They show tree trunks. It will be especially useful on the wooded holes that this course primarily consists of. I only included the trunks on trees that are specifically in play. Those which are way off the fairway are just shown as a clump of trees.

Like I said, in the thick woods which the very tall trees, it will allow me to show the obstacles more clearly and give points of reference.

Cool. I like it.

Very nice looking signs.

I agree with comments made.

Important info... Hole Number ( large to see from a distance), hole length, and color coded for intended skill.

I would suggest putting elevation as a measurement with an arrow showing up or down below the length measurements. Just do overall elevation change. In my experience that's more useful than showing the intricacies of elevation change.

I'm not thinking knowing the elevation measurements on tee sign is that important.

with rangefinders already legal, depth perception skills aren't required to be a good player.

Can wind speed & direction be provided?

I'm not thinking knowing the elevation measurements on tee sign is that important.

with rangefinders already legal, depth perception skills aren't required to be a good player.

Can wind speed & direction be provided?

I'm not sure it'd be all that practical, but maybe it's not a half bad idea for Bushnell to build an anemometer into a range finder.

I won't be helpful at all when the wind is at your back but the trees 200' down the fairway are bending to the right :|

I like it a lot, and I agree with the comments that suggest making the hole # more prominent.

Two additions to consider:

If there are any spots on the course where someone standing at a basket will see the back of a tee sign, add the hole number to the back of the sign (obviously this is very layout-dependent, but it's frustrating to have to walk around to the front of a distant tee sign to find out which one it is...)

For holes that have hard doglegs/turns, consider adding the distance to the turn onto the map itself. I just played Lufbery Park in CT, and loved the additional information to help me select my disc/power on doglegs (you can see pictures of the signs on this site). The only other course I remember seeing this feature is Eurana Park Pool in PA.

Latest posts