• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Thoughts on utility disc putters and their definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be upset because I feel like my short game is one of the stronger parts of my game and a league to help me keep it tuned up is something that interests me. Why are you so worried about who throws what? I throw Zones for so much more than utility shots, and I often work quite hard to shape my shot to the line I have. It's not for everyone, but it's how I do it.

If you have weird lines to shape every week, you help me learn what Zones can and can't do, just as much as people who are throwing more traditional putt and approach discs. Isn't that what your league's about? Finding what you can and can't do with your putters?

But this isn't what you are asking about so it's all for naught.

Two ways to fix this:

1- Buy a bunch of putters and make that the putter you have to use. When you sign up for league you pay an extra $20 for the discs which pays for the plastic and the remainder goes into the pot at the end. Initial buy in rewards the consistent players.

2 - Limit it to one putter per person. Nobody will want a Zone for everything. And if they do then sucks to be them, they will miss a bunch of putts and have a crappy time on straight holes.
I don't really have to fix anything. The league is already working. It just needs to be tweaked.

Here's what happened. Someone showed up with a Harp the first week and pulled off some amazing trick shots with it. Week 2, half the field has a Harp or something similar. It immediately turned into something which I didn't want to participate in. The other folks who had the same idea for the league that I did were turned off by it, because it's not how they envisioned the league. I want to maintain the original vision for the league and not have it morph into something else. I'm not going to tell the Harp throwers to go away, that's silly and asinine. But I don't see anything wrong with telling them that's not the direction I planned for the league, so I'm making adjustments to correct course.

That wasn't feedback that I asked for. I didn't ask for whether or not people liked the structure of the league. I asked for feedback on how to define a utility putter.

Come on... did you really think you could post a question on here and have every response be on point and what you're looking for? :p

I really dont think you can define a utility putter because it boils down to "to each his own". I could bag an Aviar and use it soley for thumber rollers from a knee to get out of or around bushes, and that would be a utility disc for me, and not a putter by how I use it.

I think you should have a master list of putters. People register online and they have to check off which putter they're entering with. If they're putter isnt on the list, they cant register. If they show up with something different that isnt on the list, then you can decide how thats handled.

If that's why you're asking, approve a list of acceptable molds, explain why discs tailored to the lines you want to see aren't allowed, and don't look back. People will always try to push the rules. Write them so that they can't.

What you guys said above, this is exactly what I've done. I've posted a list of allowed discs and ask them to tell me what they're throwing when they check in.

I think I could have done a better job of explaining the point of the league. It's primarily as a form-tuning tool, with some cheap, friendly competition thrown in. That's it. That's why I don't like the OS stuff, because I don't feel that helps teach form.

Turning a Harp over directly into the ground so it then skips in the opposite directions to S around a line is a super cool shot. No doubt. I don't think that does much to teach form.

I don't really have to fix anything. The league is already working. It just needs to be tweaked.

Aren't you a semantic pedant :|

To be honest you seem like a salty butthole that lost at league because people pulled off "unfair" shots (are more skilled than you). So if someone uses a roller on a hole are you going to ban rollers because that's not what you envisioned?

...Turning a Harp over directly into the ground so it then skips in the opposite directions to S around a line is a super cool shot. No doubt. I don't think that does much to teach form.

Sure, it teaches form... for that one specific shot. If that's the only shot in your bag then you will easily lose anyway. That might be the motivation you need to broaden your shot selection.

If you don't want people to throw the overstable discs (Zone, Harp, Pig) then do you have the ability to change the course so that are not good options? Can you make sure the players need to perform a full array of shots in order to be competitive? Maybe tight OB, hazards, mandos, etc?

Aren't you a semantic pedant :|

To be honest you seem like a salty butthole that lost at league because people pulled off "unfair" shots (are more skilled than you). So if someone uses a roller on a hole are you going to ban rollers because that's not what you envisioned?
I couldn't care less about winning or losing. You should consider whether you'd say the same thing to a persons face as you would on the internet.

I've reported my own thread, hoping it will get deleted. I've failed to properly communicate what I was asking for, and for every useful post, there are several which are off-topic, insulting or generally unnecessary. Continue to post if you want if the thread remains, but I'm done. Think of me what you will, I really don't care, but I'm not interesting in trying to have a conversation with the likes of this guy involved.

I couldn't care less about winning or losing. You should consider whether you'd say the same thing to a persons face as you would on the internet.

I've reported my own thread, hoping it will get deleted. I've failed to properly communicate what I was asking for, and for every useful post, there are several which are off-topic, insulting or generally unnecessary. Continue to post if you want if the thread remains, but I'm done. Think of me what you will, I really don't care, but I'm not interesting in trying to have a conversation with the likes of this guy involved.

Yup, ok then buddy cya later :clap:

Who wants to bet he posts again in this thread?

Theres mid to high teens of people showing up.
Theres nothing wrong with the league.
Its not about winning or losing.

This league isnt what I want, it needs to be tweaked back to how I want it to go.

There's not a lot to do in Wentzville is there?
Maybe you should stop going to the league and let the 15+ other people enjoy it... since they are paying for it, and put on a clinic for those who would rather work on form.

Two ways you can do this without it making people angry. When they buy into the league give them a choice of discs to be their "tournament/league disc" and you include one with entry fee.

Or put a speed cap on it. Nothing over speed 2 for instance takes out a high percentage or very OS discs.

I've done some ace races with just Scales/Serps etc and people loved it, but partially because everyone had a disc they weren't super familiar with.

...include one with entry fee.
Honestly, this is the only way I see you being able to restrict the discs people use.
Gateway, MVP, Discraft, etc all have challenges that force the entrants to use a specific disc. This disc is issued to you at the start of the tournament. It seems to be a good model.
I'm not sure how to stretch that out into a multi-day event... maybe collect the discs at the end of each event? It starts getting a little hairier when we are not talking about a one day event.

1. It's your league set rules as you see fit as long as they are written down and fair.

2. Grow some thicker skin for f***s sake

3. If it needs to be "tweaked" then it needs to be fixed

Going back to the OP, if my understanding is correct:

People are OK paying into the league for which you dictate a specific speed class of disc
-- BUT --
That's not good enough? You also want to restrict the range of disc stability approved for use in your league so that everyone will conform to the type/style of shot you want?

If that's really the intent here, then I think this is the disc you're looking for:

s480690932172168176_p2505_i4_w1967.png

I bag a Rhyno that is like the Mamba of putters. Does that qualify as utility even if I use it for putts when it is wet/windy out? The mold idea is a good idea but some people putt with OS putters like Rhynos. I've seen people putt with Pigs, Zones, and mids like the Wolf and a super beat Shark3. Trying to ban putters is much harder than saying that you can't throw that type of shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts