• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Thrasher vs. Mystere

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Today was a battle of speed 11 understable drivers. I took both to the field for a head to head comparison. I've thrown both molds before, but not much/often.

Mystere is champion, 175g. Thrasher is Big Z 174.

Thrasher has a nice dome. Mystere is on the flat side.

Thrasher is listed at 12, 5, -3, 2. Mystere is listed at 11, 6, -2, 2.

Both discs flew similarly from a distance standpoint. The Mystere turned easier and had more S curve than the Thrasher. The Mystere doesn't have the 6 glide as advertised. It didn't glide poorly, but the floaty glide simply wasn't there. Also, the Mystere seems to have a very shallow rim. I noticed it immediately, and it led to a few slips/bad releases. The Mystere seemed to have more late fade than the Thrasher. When it slowed down it just dumped left hard. The Mystere reminded me of a shorter Tern with a harder late fade. The Thrasher had a better hand feel, and I got more consistent releases out of it. Despite not having a super wide rim, I feel like the Thrasher is a legit speed 12 disc. It flies well and covers distance easily. Thrasher flew like a Raider or slightly flippy Destroyer.

Numbers I'd give these discs based on what I saw today....

Thrasher: 12, 5, -2, 2. Not quite as flippy as I was expecting. I've thrown other Thrashers in the past that had way more high speed turn. Overall a pretty mellow, neutral flight. I could give the Thrasher full force rips without it flipping all the way over. The Thrasher is faster than it looks. Thing gets downrange and penetrates well.

Mystere: 11, 5, -3, 3. IDK, I just never got a great feel for the Mystere. I had some good rips with it, but quite a few bad ones too. The Mystere has some fairly noticeable high speed turn, but then seems to dump left pretty abruptly. Lot of side to side action. Big S curves. The Mystere turned and burned a few times, while the Thrasher didn't. Shallow rim, which led to some poor releases. The Mystere had an overall clunky feel to me. I also didn't see the advertised 6 glide. Harder late fade than the Thrasher.

Top distance with both discs was probably 430' or so. Not the longest drivers I've ever seen, but the Mystere and Thrasher will still cover a lot of ground if thrown hard. If I had to bag one of these it'd be the Thrasher. I got more consistent results out of it. I feel like the Mystere is a weird mold, and I'm not sure why Innova released it. The disc sits somewhere between a Mamba and Tern. Maybe Mystere is an apt name for the mold. I feel like in time this mold will be quietly discontinued by Innova.

I'm not sure if Discraft has retooled the Thrasher or not, but all 3 super swirly ESPs I got (really just to collect them, but I had to throw them at least a couple times) have been beefier than their numbers indicate. One of the three I've actually bagged for a little while. It even was decent at fighting headwind. I'd rate all 3 at 12/5/-1.5/2.

Then there was an older BigZ Thrasher I had, very flat, but still really good at gliding. Super easy to get turning. I bagged it as a consistently easy massive air turnover kind of disc. I'd rate it as 12/5/-4/2.

... Also, the Mystere seems to have a very shallow rim.

That's the worst part about these damn 6-glide discs from Innova, they all have the shallow rim. I wonder if they (mamba, Mystere, Tern, not the Shryke actually) all share the inner rim mold piece. I have come to realize that I quite like a deeper rim on my DDs if I can find some that I can throw.

I'm not sure if Discraft has retooled the Thrasher or not, but all 3 super swirly ESPs I got (really just to collect them, but I had to throw them at least a couple times) have been beefier than their numbers indicate. One of the three I've actually bagged for a little while. It even was decent at fighting headwind. I'd rate all 3 at 12/5/-1.5/2.

Then there was an older BigZ Thrasher I had, very flat, but still really good at gliding. Super easy to get turning. I bagged it as a consistently easy massive air turnover kind of disc. I'd rate it as 12/5/-4/2.

Fascinating - I have actually struggled to find a "stable" thrasher in most premium, Ti coming the closest. Funny, if these were Innova molds I'd pick up the domiest disc in max wt Champ I could find and be almost 100% certain there would be a big stability jump from the same mold in star or whatever.

Fascinating - I have actually struggled to find a "stable" thrasher in most premium, Ti coming the closest. Funny, if these were Innova molds I'd pick up the domiest disc in max wt Champ I could find and be almost 100% certain there would be a big stability jump from the same mold in star or whatever.

I've thrown 3 Thrashers. 2 Big Z's, and 1 regular Z. The 2 Big Z's were nice. They turned, but weren't overly flippy. The regular Z was absolute garbage. Super flippy, and all it would do is roll.

I'm not quite familiar enough with the Thrasher to know if it has serious inconsistencies, but that would be my guess. The one I threw today was solid, though. I tried to hyzerflip it and it wouldn't stand up. I had to throw it flat to get any turn on it. To be honest, I was expecting something way flippier.

That's the worst part about these damn 6-glide discs from Innova, they all have the shallow rim. I wonder if they (mamba, Mystere, Tern, not the Shryke actually) all share the inner rim mold piece. I have come to realize that I quite like a deeper rim on my DDs if I can find some that I can throw.

I usually don't have an issue with shallow rims, but today with the Mystere I noticed it bad. I've thrown all sorts of Terns and Shrykes, and the rims have never bothered me.

Somewhere I have a star Mystere I need to dig out. The one I threw today was champion. I just didn't really like it that much. The jolly launcher plastic was super hard and slippery too.

My Z Thrasher was slow to develop it's -3 turn, but it's there now. I use it for extreme hyzer flip and continue in turn. If there are no trees left and high, then it's an extreme bomber for me.

Both molds were disasters for me. The Thrashers have been basically rollers, and my one Mystere had very little turn and low glide for its design. So many better options out there.

Both molds were disasters for me. The Thrashers have been basically rollers, and my one Mystere had very little turn and low glide for its design. So many better options out there.

For sure. I see both molds as a little obscure. They don't fill a slot in the bag I've ever felt like I needed. I wouldn't bag either one. That said, the Mystere was (IMO) the worst of the two.

The Archon (another obscure mold) is better than both.

Latest posts