• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw & disc strategy

Phil Esra

Par Member
Consider this hole (hole 9, Oak Grove):

b4e38e54.jpg

The basket position is 30 feet left of the power lines, 320' away. You are throwing LHBH. You have basic command of anhyzer and hyzer throws, but you have only enough power to throw a driver flat 270'. Sorry, these are just the rules.

You are diligently working on your form--don't worry, your distance will get better eventually. But for now, what the f:gross:ck are you going to do about all these bushes and trees? The low point of the brush (center of pic) is 8 feet high, 30 feet away from the tee.

What shot and disc type do you use off the tee? I have been throwing drivers, but the high line required to clear the brush often results in a stall that puts me in the trees on the left, or way out right with a big tree blocking the 2nd shot. Should I work on a flex shot with a very understable disc? Maybe a glidey midrange?

Oops, I said flex shot but I meant hyzer flip--hyzer release on a US disc. Whatever--all input will be appreciated.

top down shot of the hole would be nice, there isn't anywhere you can layup and play a second shot?

A smart shot that leaves you an open 50ft run at the birdie. Not enough info in the pic to help much more.

For this hole I would work on my 50' putts. What is the next hole that I can't reach?

Last edited:
Given those restrictions, I'd probably look for a way to throw a midrange with a little hyzer to a place that has an open shot for a second shot. You may also want to try throwing a thumber (this breaks the rules, but is something you could pick up easily, I think)

If I were actually throwing that hole, I would suggest hyper flipping a really under stable disc with enough height to get over the bushes.

Oops, I said flex shot but I meant hyzer flip--hyzer release on a US disc. Whatever--all input will be appreciated.

Not that I have much of a knowledge base, but what does it look like past the close in brush? Is is pretty much that narrow dirt path from the tee to the basket? Is there spots to land where you won't be going on an easter egg hunt for the disc?

Flipping a US disc is looking for a straight shot right? The basket is LEFT of the power lines?
So why not try a flex shot? I would think a Teebird on just enough anny to get around the tree on the left and let it fade back to straight 30' left of the power lines. Give you a 50-70' second shot straight at the basket?

I know that hole well and about your only option is hyzer flipping something so US on a high line that it borders on flipping to a cut roll the entire way. I had a ultra beat star TL that would hit that line and get that distance if thrown properly with the stars aligned.

Is there a line to get out left of those trees that engulf the power lines? You could try to get outside those and fade back toward the basket.

Given the constraints you outlined, it seems the ideal objective would be to land in an open area with as clear a shot at the basket as possible, which may well be more than 50' from the basket.

It looks like you might want to pick out a fairway driver that's been well-seasoned. I'd throw a G* or beat Pro Teebird RHFH here (same line as LHBH). Another possibility is the overhand throw. A crafty thumber from a lefty could slide right in there under the basket!

Given those restrictions, I'd probably look for a way to throw a midrange with a little hyzer to a place that has an open shot for a second shot. You may also want to try throwing a thumber (this breaks the rules, but is something you could pick up easily, I think)

Can't break the rules!

Is there a line to get out left of those trees that engulf the power lines? You could try to get outside those and fade back toward the basket.

Left of trees is blocked solid and a parking lot full of cars. 270' of low, flat fairway driver power/distance can be stretched another 50' with an uber understable hyzer flip, anny to the ground on a high line.

I know that hole well and about your only option is hyzer flipping something so US on a high line that it borders on flipping to a cut roll the entire way. I had a ultra beat star TL that would hit that line and get that distance if thrown properly with the stars aligned.

Nice. This thread has been really helpful--until now I hadn't thought about trying to work on that shot on that hole because I hadn't seen it thrown.

Throw a mid down the middle so you have a fair chance at parking the approach. You don't have to get close, you just need to land where you can get a high percentage par.

With those "rules", you aren't going to birdie this hole. Play smart.

Nice. This thread has been really helpful--until now I hadn't thought about trying to work on that shot on that hole because I hadn't seen it thrown.

I play with a lefty who is working on that line because let's face it, most holes here in so cal are for right handed players and if your sidearm is short by comparison to your backhand, you gotta get creative.

We can't really see what is open and only know that the bushes are high, the pin is to the left, and if we go too far left or right on our initial drive we hit trees. With a weak lefty thrower it seems like the safest option is to throw a neutral or slightly understable mid straight over the bushes. You're less likely to hit the trees and you won't get a bad fade or stall. Worst case scenario you get stuck in some crappy bushes rather than landing in an open spot but I don't see a way to guarantee that doesn't happen and either way you'll be a lot closer to the basket than when you started and you should easily be past the trees and within range to make your next shot a dumb hyzer at the basket. Remember dumb hyzers are called that because they are unimaginative, not because they are bad decisions. They are almost always good decisions.

With a max range of 270 on a 310 hole you basically have no chance at a birdie so the best route is the one that is most likely to get you par. Anything that might hit the trees on either side, fade way out, or come up short leaving you unable to get up-and-down in 2 afterwards is therefore bad. I think a high shot with a glidey mid over the top gives you the best odds of not doing any of those things.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have a good bird's eye pic of the hole. I practiced the hole a bit today--I tried hyzerflips with a few of my most understable discs. My 2nd-most US disc went high enough that it eventually pulled out of the anny and faded when it ran out of steam. But my *most* understable disc, a 109g(!) DX Leopard, thrown without too much power and on a nearly vertical hyzer release, flew a nice S line and landed in a clear spot for a short, easy approach shot. Good times!