• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing distance

Jakemaster444

hello I'm new to this forum, I need help with my distance and not sure what to do about it. I know its my technique because I'm a relatively strong guy.
I throw RHBH this is my video I know not a lot to go off of but I hope you guys can give me a little advice thanks

https://youtu.be/nrAKcE18UTM

Take this with a major grain of salt because I am not a guru or anything

1) You mentioned being a relatively strong guy, but that usually leads to "strong arming" and that causes you to tense up more and messes up your ability to throw it well. Think about being loose and smooth not tense and strong. Look at the reciprocating dingle arm info on here. It helped me get it in my head how to improve my throws.

2) Your right foot looks like it is pointing back way too far as you go through your x step. That will rob you of some of your forward push.

3) it looks like you are "hugging yourself". There are some good videos and info on here to check out (they will be better than my ill-advised description).

3) Also if you stop the video at the max point of you reachback, the disc is (at least it appears to be) almost behind your right shoulder (kind of like crossing the midline of your body) so there is virtually no way you can bring in forward on any kind of line and therefore you end up rounding a bit. Rounding is going to kill your distance, accuracy, etc.

Those are just a few things that I noticed, but I don't know much so you should wait for Sidewinder and some of the other gurus to really tell you what you need to hear, they are really good at improving technique

Last edited:
Oh and the distance is about 230 ft

What were you throwing? It looks like a mid or a putter. I'd first check your grip before worrying about your form as it looks like you have a lot of wobbly OAT (off axis torque) which hinders distance. You should have a firm, but not too firm of a grip and the disc should rip from your grip, not you letting go of the disc. I know it will feel weird, but try seceral grips out and see what you find the most comfortable.

I'm sure SW22 and others will have more specific advice and drills you can do.

What were you throwing? It looks like a mid or a putter. I'd first check your grip before worrying about your form as it looks like you have a lot of wobbly OAT (off axis torque) which hinders distance. You should have a firm, but not too firm of a grip and the disc should rip from your grip, not you letting go of the disc. I know it will feel weird, but try seceral grips out and see what you find the most comfortable.

I'm sure SW22 and others will have more specific advice and drills you can do.

It is a innova thunderbird

thank you both for the replies and yes I agree that I am strong arming it. I am very new to the sport but so far I am having a blast!

Alright, so first off, I am the 1st like on your youtube video. Because of that, you are obligated to read my entire advise blah blah now..... I will start with what you did right....

Right:
Big open field, and a sunny day.

Now, for what you did wrong....

Wrong:
Your hat is not a major brand, like Innova or Dynamic Disc.
Your shirt did not have a rock band or beer company on it.
You shoes do not have proper tread on them, I could tell because you kinda slide around.
Lastly, you did not hit an elder person/ kid with the disc and claim that park to your affliated gang/crew (i am guessing you are in a gang because your hat is backwards)

In all, I can't help you anymore until you fix these minor/major noob mistakes. While I am at it, buy the biggest bag you can find on the market. On a serious note, it's your elbow!

Latest posts