• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill

Better driving means shorter putts though! ;)

The Dan Beto video from the technique sticky goes one step further and has you starting by throwing from a standstill and with no reach back.

Hmmm... That's a really good point. That vid can be frustrating; it shows what to do but you are really left to figure it out on your own; or at least, I am just too thick for it to get through.

it shows what to do but you are really left to figure it out on your own
That's actually the point. It's not super clear, but the point is to first use the right pec drill to get the feel for the hit.

The video was done before the hammer pound drills so now you'd do the hammer pound drills to get the feel and then translate them to the right pec drill. That's much, much easier than trying to just do the right pec drill.

Once you're feeling the hit from the right pec drill you build your throw backwards. You first add a reach back, then you add a step, then another until you have a whole throw. Your full throw is just a standstill throw with steps added. If you build your throw from the begging of the x-step forward, you might never be in the best position by the time you plant your foot. It's easy to see that this is normally true because most people that build their throw that way (which is most people) can't effectively throw from a standstill.

I use standstill shots quite a bit these days, primarily with FH. You can see some BH and FH ones here.

Some things I've noticed with throwing standstill...

-It's a lot easier for me to keep clean form. My discs all tend to fly a touch more overstable too...I don't know if this is due to reducing OAT or what is causing it exactly, but it's easier to keep a disc straight and tougher to flip it over on accident.

-Like someone else mentioned it makes it real easy to feel weight shift.

-It's very useful for spots with poor footing. Flooded teepads, iced over teepads, throwing a fairway approach from the mud etc. It's also incredibly useful for throwing from hills where it's difficult to get a run-up.

-For forehand specifically I find it roughly 8000x easier to not accidentally OAT the disc and turn it over throwing from a standstill, which is why in that video I throw FH exclusively standstill.

-It makes it easier for me to focus on the HIT and feeling the snap. I can really feel the disc rip out of my hands, and feel when I hit good late acceleration vs when I did not. Less focused on the rhythm of my footwork and not tripping my clumsy old self and more focused on the body mechanics leading up to the hit.

I think it's something everyone should experiment with. I used to drive a lot of the shorter holes at my course (Basically all the putter length holes) from a standstill, and I think I'm going to try and get in that habit again.

I base my "standstill" shots off of Feldberg's explanation of the towel snap drills. Most of the time, I'll throw my weight forward too fast for my feet, and end up putting my right foot forward another half-step, so I don't fall.

I played a round a couple of weeks ago right after a storm where we got sleet and snow mixed making for some poor footing. I threw all of my shots that round from a standstill and I shot my best round in months. I lost a few feet in distance but it helped my accuracy quite a bit. Since then I've been using the standstill on shorter holes and for approaches and its been working great.

@ garu, I guess I just feel like the video with Colin explaining some basic footwork/body positioning should be a precursor to the right pec drill. Dan talks about weight shift, but not as in depth. The video with the golfer explaining the weight shift that sidewinder22 posted was also great.

And yeah, by the time the hammer pound drills came out, I had already given up on the right pec drill, since I really didn't even know what I was trying to accomplish.

I am hoping these three things will really help me out:

1) body positioning and correct weight shift
2) hammer pound drills
3) right pec drill and standstill work

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I think it's valuable to know how to throw from a standstill. You'll learn a ton about the basics of the throw and the importance of core strength. I would, however, suggest learning multiple ways to throw. One step, two steps, side step and the run up.

Jen, there is still a pivot and follow through. Always follow through.

this

a throwing from a standstill drill, reaching back and twisting hips with follow through helped my game more than anything. It also helped me with my off hand which I didn't know I had:)...I do use a run up for almost all shots but the drill showed me where I get power from. Also the other day I was by some railroad tracks with a bunch of rocks making a runup almost impossible...no problem, just used the "drill"...