• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from the wrong lie

Triton

So somebody in my club has a question, or thinks he found a loophole in the rules. I have an idea of how the ruling goes on this but wanted to hear from others before I answered him.

He said "I think I found a loop hole in the PDGA rule book. Correct me if I'm wrong but according to 803.10.a, if I throw into a lake and the other player booms a 450 ft throw, couldn't I throw from their lie and take a 2 stroke penalty and theoretically still get a par or better on that hole? Just playing devils advocate here. Let me know. The rule says "a player who has thrown from another players lie shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. The offending player shall complete the hole as if the other players lie were his own. No throws shall be replayed." so in theory if I just walked right up and threw from their lie I would receive two penalty strokes and could keep playing from that spot no matter how close to the basket. "

So would he take the 1 stroke penalty for throwing in the water, then a 2 stroke penalty for throwing from the other lie? That's what my thinking is. Then he'd be throwing for 5 on his 2nd shot correct? I'm not positive, so wanted to make sure. Thanks

His actions would be considered a blatent attempt to circumvent the rules, which would involve DQ and potential PDGA disciplinary action. It would be highly unlikey that not a single player on his card saw him throw OB.

Forget trying to figure out his score on the hole, the situation would never happen.

Dusty5150 said:
His actions would be considered a blatent attempt to circumvent the rules, which would involve DQ and potential PDGA disciplinary action. It would be highly unlikey that not a single player on his card saw him throw OB.

Forget trying to figure out his score on the hole, the situation would never happen.

I would say this is correct.

For the sake of argument tho I believe he would "play the lie as his own" with a 2 stroke penalty, not take the penalty for the OB and end up with a four. This could come up on a blind hole with OB near the basket and the guy honestly mistook the other lie for his own. But in this case, near the basket, he would be better off from his own lie because he could potentially get a three and probably no worse than a four.