• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Mid range MUCH further than drivers

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So, I am a primarily a RHFH player, but I have been working on my BH pretty consistently for about 2 months now. When I play practice rounds, I throw both off of the tee.

for whatever reason, I can throw a buzz/mako 320-350 pretty much every time and make it go where I want to go, but my drivers are lucky to hit the 300 mark. Most of the time, they dive off to the left out of my hand, even when I over compensate and try to throw it ANNY.

FWIW, I can't use the power grip at all. I am using a modified fan grip. I just can't seem to get my hands to "feel right" when I am throwing with the power grip or the fork grip.

It feels like I am doing the same thing when I throw the drivers, but maybe I am not. Thoughts on where to start? I am doing the Pec thing, as the video describes. I've field worked it to death, but I feel like that at this point I need another perspective. ( and yes, videos would help. I need to get on that.)

Thanks and junk.

You may be throwing your drivers "nose up" and/or on a bit of a hyzer angle, both of which can make them head to the left. What drivers are you trying to throw?

I would work at the power grip, though. as getting a good clean snap is crucial. The modified fan grip may not have enough strength and the disc could also be slipping out early.

Now, one last question: are you sure you're throwing 325-350 with your mids? That's a long way...If so, you're doing alot of things correctly that should translate into 400ft or further with drivers.

If you could post a vid, some of the experts here could give you a really good critique.

Its hard to get much power on a driver with a fan grip and it sounds like you are throwing nose up too so your issue is understandable. Play around with grips and find something comfortable.

You may be throwing your drivers "nose up" and/or on a bit of a hyzer angle, both of which can make them head to the left. What drivers are you trying to throw?

I've tried everything from a wraith to a roadrunner to a katana to a firebird to a teebird. Same issue.

Now, one last question: are you sure you're throwing 325-350 with your mids? That's a long way...If so, you're doing alot of things correctly that should translate into 400ft or further with drivers.

yes indeed.
End zone to end zone on a football field.
I figured that was the best way to get an honest assessment of distance.

If you could post a vid, some of the experts here could give you a really good critique.

You're too right. I need to get on that and break out the flip.

Its hard to get much power on a driver with a fan grip and it sounds like you are throwing nose up too so your issue is understandable. Play around with grips and find something comfortable.

Thanks for the links. I have seen the first one, but not the second.
I will check those out.

The grip doesn't really matter, you can get nearly the same distance with a fork grip or modified fork as you can with a power grip. But, to say you CAN'T do a four finger power grip is silly as hell unless you have some major physical deformation of the hand, or you're missing a finger. Which could severely limit your potential to use that extra digit. But, other than that, any major physical deformation of your hand would severely limit your other grips as well. There is almost NO reason ANYONE can't perform a power grip and do it correctly. You might not feel comfortable with it, or it might throw your entire throw off if you use it. But, doesn't mean you can't use it, if you fix your form problems.

As far as your problem, meh there it sounds like you could be OATing. Before you ask, no OAT doesn't always mean making the disc under stable, it can be over stable forms of OAT. It's just much more rare, as the body positioning doesn't normally promote this form of OAT. But, if you're throwing your mids that far, you really need to focus on doing the same thing with your drivers in your form as you do with your mids. How do your putters react BH? Also, the nose up thing and who knows what other problems in your form contributing to nose up could further assist in this. But, nothing like that usually causes dramatic left turns, other than OAT, or intentional hyzers.

Last edited:
I think you gotta get some sidearm-designed drivers to play with. Do you want to throw backhand drives or sidearm drives? If you are a sidearm player trying/learning to throw backhand, you might not be using the right approach for your grip and/or not creating enough snap on your backhand drives for the disc to fly correctly. You really have to find what kind of release is best for you and use a real backhand drive grip with some good snap.

I just played a round with a someone who threw everything sidearm except for putts and he just did not have the right mechanics for throwing a proper backhand drive. No snap, no good grip, no proper approach to throwing a good backhand drive. I tell people that you cannot over throw the disc, you can only underthrow them.

Sidearm dominant players are all the same... love the easy, low effort distance. For backhand, its much harder to find that good form than it is to throw a good sidearm drive.

Lithicon brings up a valid point on OAT. The dreaded wrist-roll down has nailed me many times. Nothing like a nose up hyser release with wrist roll to send your disc off to another zip code.

Most of the drivers you listed are fast, though the Teebird isn't a bad choice. I'd work with that, unless you have something slower like a Gazelle or Cyclone. If you can really drive your mids that far, it's just a few adjustments.

Are you trying to throw your drivers harder or are you driving them like your mids? You could just be tring to wing the crap out of them. Try to throw your driver the same way you throw your mid, same power and grip, but make sure the nose is down. You should at least get it to the same distance. It may fade more, but won't just hyzer out of control. That at least will establish a basis.

Have you checked your field on google earth to make sure it actually is a full sized field?

Are you trying to throw your drivers harder or are you driving them like your mids?

There might be something to this. I am definitely trying to throw the drivers "harder". I can look back on that and say that I am for sure.

Have you checked your field on google earth to make sure it actually is a full sized field?

I have not. I have a laser finder at the house that I will use next time I go out though. :)

Are you throwing overstable drivers?
trying everything.
seem to be getting the same results on every driver.

I think there might be something to "trying to throw the driver too hard" angle.
I will make sure that I concentrate on this tomorrow.

Go throw a full power drive with a putter. That throw is the same one you should use with a driver. You don't need to throw it any harder, that's just going to mess up your accuracy and timing. It's more about timing and late acceleration than throwing it hard.

Might be worth trying something a bit understable if you haven't. I'm thinking of discs like a heavy Star Leopard, TL, Roadrunner etc.

Do you have any drivers that you can make hold a relatively straight line, or are they fading out pretty hard at the end of the throw? How does a typical midrange drive of yours look compared to a typical driver drive?

Do you have any drivers that you can make hold a relatively straight line, or are they fading out pretty hard at the end of the throw? How does a typical midrange drive of yours look compared to a typical driver drive?

They are all fading super hard (minus the occasional good one that I throw).

And my mids go straight where I throw them and stay there. My broken in Buzzz flies like a laser beam, and then just a touch of fade at the end.

to back up the over powering point made by MikeC.... I've heard it said many times that you should aim for about 80% power on your drives.
Whenever I throw hard my drives dive to the left... when I'm smooth and relaxed throughout the walk-up and throw hard but comfortably (I'd guess about 80% power) the disc flies predictably as I visualized it prior to throwing it. Give that a try as suggested by MikeC. I'm sure that this is your problem.

And my mids go straight where I throw them and stay there. My broken in Buzzz flies like a laser beam, and then just a touch of fade at the end.

That right there tells me that you're not getting enough snap on the disc.

Which also tells me I doubt you're throwing your mids 350' but I digress, work with slower distance discs then work your way up.

Go throw a Leopard, It was one of my first discs and I've since outgrown it but it's a great annie disc. Any who I like the Leo because it's flight will tell you a lot about how you're throwing. You under throw it and it's lazer beam straight with a touch of fade at the end. Just right and it takes a tight 's' Too hard and it turns over as soon as it leaves your hand.

This all screams nose angle issues to me. Mids don't require as much nose down attitude as drivers to fly far.

I'd start with something like a Cyclone or Gazelle and work on getting them to fly farther than your mids. Make sure your wrist orientation is correct, that you're getting your weight over your plant foot at the hit and that you're starting your pull a bit lower than the line on which your throwing. Starting your pull higher will force the nose up.

Here's a drill designed to help you get the feel for throwing nose down:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34984#p34984

Go throw a Leopard, It was one of my first discs and I've since outgrown it but it's a great annie disc. Any who I like the Leo because it's flight will tell you a lot about how you're throwing. You under throw it and it's lazer beam straight with a touch of fade at the end. Just right and it takes a tight 's' Too hard and it turns over as soon as it leaves your hand.

It's not about how hard you throw it it's about how you release it. I can take any of my leopards and hyzer flip them at full power for 380+ feet.

OP: Throw something that's not too stable, like a Leopard, and make sure you're getting good snap and keeping the nose down. There was a good picture posted recently I can't find right now, where you place the disc in between the knuckles at the base on your hand of your index and middle finger, then grip it. This forces the disc to orientate itself more nose down.

I've tried everything from a wraith to a roadrunner to a katana to a firebird to a teebird. Same issue.

yes indeed.
End zone to end zone on a football field.
I figured that was the best way to get an honest assessment of distance.

You're too right. I need to get on that and break out the flip.

Try a 150 valk. All the other drivers you listed are going to be very stable when new and max weight.

It's not about how hard you throw it it's about how you release it. I can take any of my leopards and hyzer flip them at full power for 380+ feet.

OP: Throw something that's not too stable, like a Leopard, and make sure you're getting good snap and keeping the nose down. There was a good picture posted recently I can't find right now, where you place the disc in between the knuckles at the base on your hand of your index and middle finger, then grip it. This forces the disc to orientate itself more nose down.

Is that supposed to teach you to throw nose down or supposed to be a proper grip to be used all the time? Sounds pretty uncomfortable.

I've been using it all the time since I read about it. It felt really weird at first but it feels natural now, and I can see the disc penetrating the air much better as a result.

Latest posts