• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing to the right, right.

Traver

Par Member
Let me preface this by saying I throw RHBH.
I can't throw sidearm or maybe it's better to say that I don't want to learn. I also can't throw left-handed - I'd like to but really, I just can't.

This leaves a huge gaping hole in my game. This is especially true when you consider that I don't have anything sufficiently understable for me to feel confident that I can turn over with regularity, which brings me to my point.
How the hell is the proper way to throw an anhyzer?

Our local pro said to simply grip the disc in your hand so that it is at the angle you desire -whether you want to throw a hyzer or an anyhyzer- and then to throw the same way as you would throw any other backhand throw.

While the "attachable angle" idea sounds nice, I have my doubts. One of these doubts is based on what little I know of Off Axis Torque. It seems obvious that if my arm is traveling through a 90 degree horizontal plane and the disc is not level with that plane then the outer edge's torque will not travel around the axis of the disc on the same plane, thereby producing OAT.

Am I off axis here, or is this way flawed? Instead isn't it better to adjust the angle of the plane that your arm travels through for hyzers and anhyzers?

I tried to write this as cleary as possible but that obviously won't do much good if I'm totally misunderstanding what our local pro was saying or the physics behind OAT. Any insight, opinions, our references to reliable information would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

I think i just got a headache from that... oh wait its just late, i just learned to throw a forehand than understand all the physics of disc golf fight and consistant turnover shots. although you just buy a kite and that thing will turnover for days with every throw! and i think when the disc is tilted it is not imparting OAT, it is simply giving added direction to the disc so that it will fight it's slow speed turn, dont know much and disc flying- ask about thermodynamics and i might have a answer!

Throwing a thumber shot will also give you the turn to the right. But the best way to get your right hand turns....learn to throw forehand.

he said he didn't want to throw forehand...

my suggestion would be to get a nice slower speed understable disc and visit a field for some practice. a disc like the innova stingray or the discraft stratus would be good to start with. you shouldn't even need to put any anhyzer on them. if you throw them flat they should turn right for you. spend some time practicing. that's where i would start.

don't want to improve your game? if you do, learn forehand...field practice whether you do or not...forehand is easier to throw and more predictable than an anhyzer

"This is especially true when you consider that I don't have anything sufficiently understable for me to feel confident that I can turn over with regularity"

If you don't have the right disc for the job - learning to throw anny will just frustrate you - as the overstable stuff will be fighting the turn the whole way.

Much in the way that the outside edge of the disc starts lower to the ground for your hyzer shot, an anheizer is the opposite. So you were correct in your assumption that changing the angle of the plane is the correct way to go about it.

Honestly though - get a disc that makes it easier to turn - get a stingray or a cobra or a leopard or a cheetah. These are discs that you can mostly throw flat and they will move right for you - and they don't have so much mass on the rim that they will be fighting the turn the whole way. Trying to learn that with high speed discs is a tough road to hoe.

Let's point out to the original poster that an anhyzer and forehand don't have the same flight path. Both turn right, but they have different uses.

Eventually you'll need both. But there's nothing wrong with mastering one (anhyzer) before attempting another (forehand).

I'll add to those suggesting anhyzer discs that, if the thrower doesn't find them turning right enough, get them in DX plastic and beat'em up.

Our local pro said to simply grip the disc in your hand so that it is at the angle you desire -whether you want to throw a hyzer or an anyhyzer- and then to throw the same way as you would throw any other backhand throw.

While the "attachable angle" idea sounds nice, I have my doubts. One of these doubts is based on what little I know of Off Axis Torque. It seems obvious that if my arm is traveling through a 90 degree horizontal plane and the disc is not level with that plane then the outer edge's torque will not travel around the axis of the disc on the same plane, thereby producing OAT.

Am I off axis here, or is this way flawed? Instead isn't it better to adjust the angle of the plane that your arm travels through for hyzers and anhyzers?
You're correct that it will create OAT and that adjusting the angle of your arm and shoulders will make an anhzyer shot without OAT. Both will give you right turning shots, just different lines. In fact, you can throw a hyzer an purposely add OAT to get a shot that starts off straight and eventually turns. It all depends on the shot you want.

After reading all the posts I've decided it might be better to just get some understable plastic. I used to have a Champion Roadrunner that I would turn over while driving but it was a bit too high speed to be useful on many of the short, right turning holes that I play. So I'll probably look for something lower speed, or maybe just a lighter Roadrunner in Star or DX.

I realize that a forehand shot and an anhyzer are going to have different lines but it would be a lot easier to put some annie on a sidearm than a backhand.

I plan on learning to throw sidearm sometime but it will be awhile before I'm comfortable using it in a round, hence why I wanted to learn to throw an annie to stop the bleeding. But, from what I've heard they're difficult to throw and somewhat unpredictable.

So what I've read of OAT, courtesy of the resident physicist (Garublador), it's not strictly a bad thing and actually has a use. I thought that any disc traveling with OAT would wobble, which I can only imagine is bad considering that that wobble must kill your spin. But based on reading this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846 that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have a tee bird-l that I can get to turn over if i throw it hard enough and I've been told I can do the same with my ESP Buzzz. Any thoughts on turning over stable discs?

If you want a stable mid range to turn over get a dx roc and beat it to hell. The more stable the disc you're trying to turn over the harder it will be and the more speed and anyhzer angle you'll need. When throwing an anny, try to get your arm to follow through on a high to low angle as if you were you backhanding a little person. Rolling your wrist over where your palm faces the sky after the throw will help put some beneficial OAT on it as well. Leopards, Roadrunners, Monarchs, Sting Rays, Skeeters, etc will all turn over pretty easily, depending on your particular style/attributes.

Good luck.

A stingray is a great understable mid. I have one in DX plastic, and it is a slower version of the Roadrunner. I throw RHBH as well, and can't throw a forehand at all, I'm horrible at it. I know that some situations would work better with a forehand shot, the forehand will definitely produce different results than an anhyzer, but 9x out of 10, I can use some understable plastic and accomplish what I'm trying to do with an anhyzer shot.

You don't have to release a disc on an anhyzer angle to throw an anhyzer. An understable disc, when throw with the right technique can be released flat, or even be released with a hyzer angle, and will still flip up and turn over, finishing it's flight to the right. I am really horrible at forehand, so I have worked hard on the anhyzer, and it has become very versatile for me.

I have watched several DVDs (Clash Renny, Clash Winthrop, Worlds 08, Skylands Classic,) with a lot of very talented DG'ers (Climo, Feldberg, Doss, Schultz, Jenkins, etc...), and these guys can all throw forehand very well, but from the footage I've seen, they tend to prefer the anhyzer over the forehand, unless a specific situation calls for the forehand shot. Several scenario's where either shot would work, they have elected to go annie ILO forehand. Granted, I do not know their reasoning, or why they choose annie, but out of all these videos, I saw very few forehand shots, probably 5-10% (just a guess).

when i throw a big anny i release it with my arm all the out and with my arm higher than normal like around the top of head or above it , where as when i throw a helix or s-turn i throw more like my normal drive and release around my chest just at a different angle.

In the Disc Golf Fundamentals Vol. 1 with Climo and Feldberg they bend at the hip to go from hyzer to anhyzer. I've tried it some with little success (it just feels weird), but I think it works. Basically they say to keep your form straight across your chest, just lean back or forward a bit to get the direction you want. Lean back for anhyzer and forward for hyzer.

Edit: I should add that by doing this you are changing the angle of release like the pro told you. You just don't have to change your form a whole lot.

After reading all the posts I've decided it might be better to just get some understable plastic. I used to have a Champion Roadrunner that I would turn over while driving but it was a bit too high speed to be useful on many of the short, right turning holes that I play. So I'll probably look for something lower speed, or maybe just a lighter Roadrunner in Star or DX.

I realize that a forehand shot and an anhyzer are going to have different lines but it would be a lot easier to put some annie on a sidearm than a backhand.

I plan on learning to throw sidearm sometime but it will be awhile before I'm comfortable using it in a round, hence why I wanted to learn to throw an annie to stop the bleeding. But, from what I've heard they're difficult to throw and somewhat unpredictable.

So what I've read of OAT, courtesy of the resident physicist (Garublador), it's not strictly a bad thing and actually has a use. I thought that any disc traveling with OAT would wobble, which I can only imagine is bad considering that that wobble must kill your spin. But based on reading this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846 that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have a tee bird-l that I can get to turn over if i throw it hard enough and I've been told I can do the same with my ESP Buzzz. Any thoughts on turning over stable discs?
I use my Buzzz almost every time I throw anhyzer. It's much MUCH more controllable than any of my drivers for this shot. I control how far right it will go basically by changing how high I throw it. If I want it to continue to go right the entire time I will throw it fairly low (not too low or it won't get any distance and still higher than a normal straight shot) and if I want it to flatten out at the end I give it a bit more height.

The good thing about the Buzzz is even on the continuous right anhyzer shots it won't roll out at the end like a lot of the understable drivers tend to do if you don't get it just right.

Last edited:
In the Disc Golf Fundamentals Vol. 1 with Climo and Feldberg they bend at the hip to go from hyzer to anhyzer. I've tried it some with little success (it just feels weird), but I think it works. Basically they say to keep your form straight across your chest, just lean back or forward a bit to get the direction you want. Lean back for anhyzer and forward for hyzer.

Edit: I should add that by doing this you are changing the angle of release like the pro told you. You just don't have to change your form a whole lot.
it sounds like to me theyre talking about throwing more of an s-turn , throwing from your chest at that low angle your going to have a hard time throwing anny that wont come back and you wont be able to get alot of spin without slamming into the ground .

now if you raise your arm up higher youll be able to throw a shot that will truely look like a hyzer in reverse or anti-hyzer(anhyzer for short) and youll be able to put all the spin you can muster on it makeing your righthand shot mimic what a left hander or sidearmer can do.

it sounds like to me theyre talking about throwing more of an s-turn , throwing from your chest at that low angle your going to have a hard time throwing anny that wont come back and you wont be able to get alot of spin without slamming into the ground .

now if you raise your arm up higher youll be able to throw a shot that will truely look like a hyzer in reverse or anti-hyzer(anhyzer for short) and youll be able to put all the spin you can muster on it makeing your righthand shot mimic what a left hander or sidearmer can do.

I think we are describing the same thing. When they do it on the video they do the motion as I described earlier, but it turns into kind of an arc looking motion because they are leaning backwards ( I believe they describe it as a rainbow). But it appears that the mechanics of throwing straight across their chest is still there.

Obviously they are able to get the spin required and their throws don't come back. But when I try this is does look more like an s-turn.

Keep in mind that I am not that good :eek:; so I am only trying to relay what I saw in the video. I could have completely misinterpreted what they where trying to say.

i was describing a rainbow shot which when someone says anny thats what i think of as a true anny shot not just a shot released at a anhyzer angle which can also be descibed as a helix or s-turn .

i think alot of these pro videos are great but they dont always translate well for us mortals so thats why i was suggesting the style i use for someone thats not a pro , when i combine my style with alot of spin and a lightweight stable to understable disc i can do some crazy matrix style stuff

I think i just got a headache from that... oh wait its just late, i just learned to throw a forehand than understand all the physics of disc golf fight and consistant turnover shots. although you just buy a kite and that thing will turnover for days with every throw! and i think when the disc is tilted it is not imparting OAT, it is simply giving added direction to the disc so that it will fight it's slow speed turn, dont know much and disc flying- ask about thermodynamics and i might have a answer!

So yo understand the first and second laws of thermodynamics? Interesting.

"This is especially true when you consider that I don't have anything sufficiently understable for me to feel confident that I can turn over with regularity"

If you don't have the right disc for the job - learning to throw anny will just frustrate you - as the overstable stuff will be fighting the turn the whole way.

Much in the way that the outside edge of the disc starts lower to the ground for your hyzer shot, an anheizer is the opposite. So you were correct in your assumption that changing the angle of the plane is the correct way to go about it.

Honestly though - get a disc that makes it easier to turn - get a stingray or a cobra or a leopard or a cheetah. These are discs that you can mostly throw flat and they will move right for you - and they don't have so much mass on the rim that they will be fighting the turn the whole way. Trying to learn that with high speed discs is a tough road to hoe.

I was given the same advise and it works. I chose a kite first and have gotten very consistent with it, and have added a cobra. I have also been using an aero for shorter ones. It is an approach and putt disc that is understable and is very predictable. Throw it flat and it will go annie.

As far as turning over stable discs I do that to my champ valk all the time. When I need a long flight I crank up the speed and it turns over. At the end it will fade back a little if I need an "s" throw. The valkyrie is also a slower speed than the roadrunner so if that is still a problem than try the valk.

Latest posts