• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumbers and Tommys KILLING My Shoulder

Discslinger00

I can throw some great overhand throws but after 8 or 9 holes my shoulder is shot. I think this past time I even threw my arm out. It doesn't make sense to me because my friends I play with are using overhand throws for every toss besides putts and they don't ever have a problem. I'm normally a backhand guy but those overhand throws are so useful in certain situations. It's not like I'm weak either, I lifted collegiately for two years but I can't seem to figure out what's going on with my Tommys and Thumbers. I throw them like I would a football with correct form. If anyone has any suggestions on building endurance or stamina in the shoulder I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you think I might be throwing it incorrectly please give suggestions for that too. I'm really trying to up my game.

Well, did you go out and bench press 300 lbs or whatever you life the first time you tried? You need to warm up, build up to more throws and follow through. There is an old thumber thread out there somewhere with lots of good tips. And if it hurts, stop. And rest does a body and arm good. Non over hand days are good to let your body heal.

DON'T STOP.

Seriously, you need to follow all the way through, and not stop your arm mid swing.

I have to tell myself to do this every time I throw a thumber, it never sinks in, but if you let your arm continue through the windmill, unwinding the momentum, it doesnt hurt.

Stopping the arm as soon as you release will tear your shoulder apart.

DON'T STOP.

Seriously, you need to follow all the way through, and not stop your arm mid swing.

I have to tell myself to do this every time I throw a thumber, it never sinks in, but if you let your arm continue through the windmill, unwinding the momentum, it doesnt hurt.

Stopping the arm as soon as you release will tear your shoulder apart.

^ this is a very important point that cant be stressed enough ^

Imo, long thumber shots are more javlin style than football style.
Youre putting all the work on your arm...try popin your hip.

I tore a meniscus in my shoulder playing HS football, and I have 1 or 2 max thumbers in me per round. That's life. Stretch, warm up, etc. and you ought to be able to throw all the overhand goodness you want.

Put more elbow and wrist in it and slow down the initial shoulder roll.

Also make sure you are getting a good weight shift, minimizing any extra movement.

Great tips thanks! Special thanks to captain jack, I think that is exactly what I'm doing to hurt my shoulder. Ill definitely focus on getting the full follow through. And nolangherity, GREAT advice haha.

Latest posts