• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumbers - good discs to buy

rhinos00

Par Member
I'm relatively new to disc golf and primarily throw a backhand. After watching a few videos I have really gotten hooked on thumbers. I used to play baseball so it sort of came naturally, not too mention I can finally make a disc go left to right. I was just wondering if there are any discs out there that were especially made for throwing a thumber or if there are some discs that are better than others?

Also, when using a thumber is it natural to have the disc land on its side and get a good amount or roll? Or is that just me?

This is my first post, so please be gentle :)

Anything overstable. I like to use a Star Firebird.

I prefer the firebird as well! I get the most distance from that disc.
How far and what disc are you currently using for your thumbers?

Flick. Mine when new would stick into the ground, and it might still and the ground is just hard since summer has been here a while, so it rolls a big now

But I would warn against leaning to heavily on an overhand throw. Use it, but consider learing a turnover shot with something slightly understable.

I started out using my old beat up cobras. But after watching a guy with a crazy tomahawk with a Monster, I was sold. Pretty much all I use the disc for. I have also started using a champion wraith for longer type shots.

lots of people like the Epic for OH shots but there are plenty that like to hate on it as well :)

If you have a baseball background it should come fairly easy to you. Most experienced throwers like more stable/overstable discs for longer OH shots. A less stable disc (Sidewinder, Beast, etc) can still perform the shot but will complete the turn and drop quicker, generally these are better for shorter shots.

Try all your plastic and see what works. It really depends on you. Also, I try to get my OH shots to land upside down, also called a 'pancake' shot. This controls the landing and prevents excessive skip.

I prefer the firebird as well! I get the most distance from that disc.
How far and what disc are you currently using for your thumbers?

I just started throwing thumbers today since I needed a viable option to get out of messy situations, which I am in often. Just for the hell of it, I threw a few off the tee using a Reaper. The throws ranged from 270 to 350 feet (the 270 not getting much roll and the 350 getting about 50-60 feet of roll because of the hard dirt.

172 champ firebird is the right combination of speed, glide and fade.

to be honest you will hear a lot of people suggest overstable for the fact that they produce great distance, I use a stable disc (innova orc) for a few reasons. I still get decent distance out of it which usually isnt the main reason for an overhand shot. The real reason I use it is because I can control it better and shape the shots with it a little cleaner. My best advice is to find some discs randging from overstable to stable maybe an understable one as well and throw them all and see what works for you.

Champ Banshee fits the bill for me, if I wanted something faster I would get a Firebird. I would stay away from cheaper plastic as your disc will wear fast with this type of abuse, champion plastic is perfect for this.

Champ Banshee fits the bill for me, if I wanted something faster I would get a Firebird. I would stay away from cheaper plastic as your disc will wear fast with this type of abuse, champion plastic is perfect for this.

Banshee is what I cut my teeth on for OH. Very good disc to start with.

Z-XS for placement thumbers (can't beat the accuracy and plastic durability of older runs)

Champ Firebird or Champ Monster for distance thumbers

Flick. Mine when new would stick into the ground, and it might still and the ground is just hard since summer has been here a while, so it rolls a big now

But I would warn against leaning to heavily on an overhand throw. Use it, but consider learing a turnover shot with something slightly understable.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far! Very helpful. I by no means plan on using this shot all the time. Right now, it's more for necessity. I am often in areas where there are four foot obstacles in my way, so an OH seems like the perfect throw. Other times off a tee, I don't trust myself throwing backhand, especially if there is a water obstacle on the left hand side, so this sort of gives me an option.

I know it will take a lot of practice, but I definitely want to learn the forehand throw. I tried it for a while today and sucked, hence using the OH off the tee for the holes with water on the left.

I like to use
KC avairs
Gazelles
Leopards
firebird

Everyone will tell you to get the most overstable possible however if you don't have the arm to throw it 325 overhand you would be better off starting with your putter or a gazelle.

A super overstable disc will not turn over as fast which makes it hard to get two flips out of the disc. If it only flips once you will lose a lot of D.

If you already have a baseball background and can throw hard then you are going to get good distance from the Champ Firebird. I always have one in my bag.

My go to Thumber disc is an Elite-Z Flick (171 g). It holds a much tighter line than the firebird so it doesn't need as much swing space. It does tend to roll on impact, which can be good, or horrible depending on where it rolls to.

For short range, accuracy shots i throw a DX Valkyrie. It is beat all to hell but I only throw it short (less than 200 feet) and it sticks like made on impact.

Whatever you choose, do not buy an Epic. They can be thrown far but they are a POS! They have zero consistency. I have thrown them 465, but have also watched it go hard right and 200 feet into the shule. Stay away at all costs.

The biggest thing is use the shot tactically and don't use it as a crutch. My thumbers used to be my go to shot and it cost me a torn rotator cuff and 8 months of healing. Now I use a backhand as much as I can and reserve the thumbers for tee offs and approach shots where there is a great risk reward for making the shot.

Agree with the poster who suggested the orc. I've got a well-seasoned (2-3 year old) 173g champ orc which has found a permament spot in bag for scramble shots. It is highly controllable for flicks, forehand rollers, and especially thumbers. It doesn't have the same distance potential of a champ firebird or 11x champ teebird, but it's gotten me out of a lot of jail. When I adjust the release angle, arm speed, height, etc ... I can achieve just about any result I want/need within 200' to 300'.

Latest posts