• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumbers - good discs to buy

Firebird - I also find it useful for short really stable BH/FH shots and short straight get out of trouble rollers.

See a few people throwing really good thumbers with t-rex's.

Star Whippet gives you a really neat looking thumber shot that in many case you can get to just glide down on its back to the left. Throw it high and it glides for a while to the left and then spikes back down right, dead straight away.

There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for thumbers. I use my for distance overhands and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

If you have a good strong overhand throw, I'd suggest the Lat64 XXX. It absolutely BOMBS thrown overhand! It's wicked overstable, so if you have a strong arm it can give you good distance. Plus it's only avaliable in premium plastic, which you want for overhand shots as they are very rough on discs.

There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for thumbers. I use my for distance overhands and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

Thanks for all the great info. That really clears up a lot of questions I still had about throwing a thumber.

Thanks for all the great info. That really clears up a lot of questions I still had about throwing a thumber.
No problem. I agree that overhand shots shouldn't make up the majority of your game but don't count them out. There's been many many rounds where I've been accused of "cheating" because I know how to shape an overhand line drive around obstacles or skipped a thumber under low tree canopy.

i throw thumbers a good bit, and i use a tee-rex , for most of my OH, but a x-caliber and firebird are good too.

I'm not a big arm overhand thrower, but ever since switching to the Flick for overhands more lines have opened up for me because of the distance it gets compared to other drivers I had been using. I'm getting near 300' thumbing the Flick, which is probably an 80' distance difference compared to the Teebird and 50' compared to a Destroyer.

i dont usually go for longer thumbers, but i get max d (230'-250' or so on flat ground) with my flick.

i prefer something flippier the closer i get (crazy flippy star valk from 50'-80', not-so-flippy goldline vision from 80'-150').

i dont usually go for longer thumbers, but i get max d (230'-250' or so on flat ground) with my flick.

i prefer something flippier the closer i get (crazy flippy star valk from 50'-80', not-so-flippy goldline vision from 80'-150').

Pardon my noobishness, but what does "flippy" mean?

I have a friend named Tony that was a pro ball player. His drives are exclusively thumbers and tomahawks and is deadly accurate. He can throw over 375'. He uses 150 over stable discs. One of his favorites is the Wraith. Usually in pro plastic.

flippy=understable.

if you throw a disc (right hand backhand) with a release like this / and the disc turns ("flips") to - and then \, it is considered flippy.

I have a friend named Tony that was a pro ball player. His drives are exclusively thumbers and tomahawks and is deadly accurate. He can throw over 375'. He uses 150 over stable discs. One of his favorites is the Wraith. Usually in pro plastic.

A 150 Pro Wraith is not overstable.

I've discovered through others suggestions that the XXX by Lat 64 goes quite a bit farther.

I have converted to the XXX, previously I used Firebird, Banshee, Reaper and Max. All great discs for thumbers.

For shorter controlled shots I use 150 Flick.

I've discovered through others suggestions that the XXX by Lat 64 goes quite a bit farther.

I have converted to the XXX, previously I used Firebird, Banshee, Reaper and Max. All great discs for thumbers.

For shorter controlled shots I use 150 Flick.

I tried looking up reviews for the XXX and couldn't find too much. How does it compare to a Champion Firebird?

I find the champion plastic tacos a little more than the star plastic on impact which can help prevent roll aways. The Elite-Z plastic hardly tacos at all....but man does it go far.

I agree with Huck. I throw thumpers a lot. I have used Orcs, Wraiths, Banshees, Firebirds, Roadrunners, Panthers and the XXX. I am more accurate with a Champ Firebird, but the XXX gets me more distance. I also use the Panther for short approach thumbers. The Panther, Roadrunner or anything else less stable make nice approach discs that are easier to land like a pancake a stop right by the basket. Just take it slow and build up your arm strength. Then keep throwing it. Good luck.

Latest posts