• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Thumbers...

nb2210

Par Member
So its a shot i'm looking to add. i've been trying to throw it with a destroyer or nuke ss, to really no avail. today i found what looks to be a one throw loss, opto scythe. should this be my go to thumber disc?

looking at flight paths and what not the Scythe seems like a longer option to everything listed? I don't know just a though super overstable

Firebird or Whippet-X. Whippet-X has a smaller rim that I find to be more comfortable throwing thumbers with.

zenbot's OH Rant: Copy and Pasted for your perusal.

zenbotticus "robotface" rex said:
There is conventional wisdom that can help you with disc selection. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should only use overstable discs.

Overstable discs will complete their turn more slowly. This increases the amount of time the disc is parallel to the ground which keeps it in the air longer.

Less stable discs complete their turn more quickly. Less distance but I find them to be more accurate as the disc starts falling to the ground quicker and is less influenced by wind and variances in your release angle.

One other note is that if you're throwing an understable thumber you need to aim slightly more left of the target than you would with an overstable disc. (Assuming you're throwing RH)

To get you started the Firebird is a very popular disc for overhand. I use my for distance thumbers and a Teebird for shorter shots. Keep in mind that overhand shots are rough on discs. I recommend premium plastic.

To read more about thumbers and tomahawks here's some other threads you might enjoy...but you don't have to take my word for it.

6380.jpg

Why overstable for OH?
Thumber disc poll
OH distance
overhand plastic
Thumber Tips
Whats your favorite overhand disc?
Tomahawk vs. Thumber
Overhand Throws: Does discing down still apply?
What was your overhand disc of 2010?
Thumber disc?
Thumber/tohahawk thing...
Disc Selection for Overhand Shots
best tomahawk/ overhand driver?
thumbers - good discs to buy
Overhand disc
What is the best overhand disc?
Favorite Tomahawk Disc?
Trying to incorporate the Tomahawk into my game.
Help: Overhand throws.
Thomahawk and Thumber
Overhead Discs
mid or putter thumbers?

Firebird, whippet, xXx and Predator seem to be the molds recommended for "max D" thumbers. The aerobie epic is as well, but it isn't as controllable due to the tuning that is required. Some have claimed the new MVP fairways are decent. You can throw the shot with any disc and get different flight paths for different situations.

Personally I throw a Firebird (I carry 4 for different flight paths) for a more right finish ( I throw RH), an xXx if I have room to go left and want a straighter finish, and a beast for short hooks right.

If your looking for accuracy the Firebird and the XXX are both killer. I can throw the Ape and Stiletto further, but not with the pinpoint accuracy of the FB.

To add to Zenny's post you should definitely have a non super overstable disc you feel comfortable throwing overhand. My go to discs over the past 6-8 years have been the [beat] Surge/OLF/Wraith area of the stability spectrum. I never use something truly understable (unless VERY situational) but it's amazing how different the flights are compared to say the FB or Predator.

Talking about MVP, the Motion has been in my bag since its release and I've been really diggin' it. That said I don't know if I care for it OH - I feel like once it starts the second part of the flight (coming back right on a thumber or coming back left on a hammer, right handed) it just stops flying. Normally discs accelerate after being upside down and penetrate more forward but the Motion just goes to sleep for me. The Crave however has been awesome for my not-so-stable OH shots. Any other Motion throwers have a similar experience?

I'm fairly certain I can throw a FB/Pred/xXx/whatever farther than my Motion OH. It would win BH though:|

Yes, I'm one of them. I get more distance and accuracy with a Resistor (compared to a Firebird). Maybe the smaller rim is just a tad more comfortable?

Maybe getting it up to speed better? One of the reasons I'm a super overstable mid advocate...I love overpowering an overstable disc and seeing it fly neutral until it slows down:)

Flat Champion Firebirds have always been my go to thumber disc. This is the consensus with many pros (that throw Innova). I only throw thumbers if I have to. To get out of trouble. They are very taxing on my body especially my shoulder. Could be bad mechanics but I think I just don't have the build for it. Had the same issue throwing footballs when I was young.

Latest posts