• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tie-Dye type dyeing?

phishbrained

Par Member
I've watched a few tutorials and read a few treads about disc dying and I get the idea just have to get a space to do it. I was wondering about the more traditional tie-dye look, like the ones on t-shirts. Is this just cutting a stencil pattern out in vinyl like usual dyes or do you guys induce bleed? Basically how do you dye those sick, swirly tie-dye discs? Thanks for your time guys.

I read further and found out that innova does splatter dying where they spin the disc and drop dye on it. Is this the only way to do the tie dye style or is there something a bit easier for just one or 2 people to accomplish?

I think that the spin and splatter is the easiest way to achieve the effect you are looking for. There were some toys out on the market in the 90's that you can purchase and will allow you to create the the tie-dye look on a on paper. I've done some searching on the net and couldn't find anything, so I don't know if they still sell them or not. I would think that is wouldn't be that difficult to make something that would spin so you could get the look you wanted. I would go with a small crafts engine and attach some wood to the rotor to make a base plate. You could even get a bicycle tire and attach a metal pole to it, and then push the pole into the ground. Just make sure you secure the disc well, and you probably would want to do it outside. The RIT dies will really stain your floor. I don't know if this is what your looking for, but I hope I helped.

I know very little on this stuff, but I think you can use acetone for the swirl look in the dye. You can also use cotton balls or terrycloth/fleece materials for applying the different colors to help blend them. These are what I have heard or read about.

An old belt-drive turntable and a large tub to put it in. If you adjust the diameter of the drive pin, you can slow it down so it spins at a slow speed.

I'm curious as to how the dye would have to be mixed for the plastic to take and hold it. When dyeing in a pot, I leave the disc in for sometimes a few minutes for the plastic to take the dye.

Hey Phish, was wondering if you had tried this out yet or if anyone else had with any success. I have a Dye that i want to do and am thinking of either stright splattering or spin splattering.

Spin dye/Tye dyes

Ok, so I have been doing dyes with vinyl for over 2 months and have got that down and I'm ready to move on to tye dying discs. I have done alot of research on this but haven't gotten any real answers on how to do this.
I'm not needing ideas on what to use to spin the disc, but what to mix with the dye. I am using Idye Poly and have 7 of the 8 colors so I'm ready to go. I have heard hits about using Dawn dish soap but not what exactly for. I'm not trying to sell these dyes but I would like to make my own collection. It seems this process if coveted by anyone that knows how to do it so that we don't take there sells. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could go over how the mix should be and what needs to be applied onto the disc if anything to do this. The rest I'll figure out on my own. I just know that to do the dyes that I have done they need to be soaked in warm dye for 10-25 min depending on how warm the dye is and what type of plastic. I'm assuming we have to lay the tye dyed disc out for 24hours or so after the process.
Please someone... anyone that knows how to do tye dyes, respond to this for myself and everyone out there that would love to play around with some ink and plastic.

Glen

Last edited:
You can also get a very cool effect with the shaving cream method. If you look at the link in my sig you will find an orange cryztal challenger with a bear's logo and a tie-dye pattern. You could get a more traditional tie-dye with the same method and more colors.

Ok, so I have been doing dyes with vinyl for over 2 months and have got that down and I'm ready to move on to tye dying discs. I have done alot of research on this but haven't gotten any real answers on how to do this.
I'm not needing ideas on what to use to spin the disc, but what to mix with the dye. I am using Idye Poly and have 7 of the 8 colors so I'm ready to go. I have heard hits about using Dawn dish soap but not what exactly for. I'm not trying to sell these dyes but I would like to make my own collection. It seems this process if coveted by anyone that knows how to do it so that we don't take there sells. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could go over how the mix should be and what needs to be applied onto the disc if anything to do this. The rest I'll figure out on my own. I just know that to do the dyes that I have done they need to be soaked in warm dye for 10-25 min depending on how warm the dye is and what type of plastic. I'm assuming we have to lay the tye dyed disc out for 24hours or so after the process.
Please someone... anyone that knows how to do tye dyes, respond to this for myself and everyone out there that would love to play around with some ink and plastic.

Glen

I used 10% acetone and 10% Dawn then 80% Dye mixture with warm/hot water.

Latest posts