• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

time to get your groove on

I got a first run that was really over stable, more than my first run Boss even, so it has stayed on the wall. My arm is finally letting me throw 300' + consistently now so I might try it out again but I'm liking my ESP Surge right now.

I wanted to try one but couldn't see spending the money on yet another driver that is bigger than any local course here. I was doing some test runs with my double box of Discraft misprints to see how they all threw. My buddy tossed me his Boss and Groove to see how I would like them cause he was getting tired of me talk about discs. I didnt like the boss. I didn't like my Xcal either. I want a little turn before it comes back for the fade. I can't get accurate distance on a constant hyzer. I tried to bomb on the Groove, and tossed it just over 450. This was with a slight hyzer release and it had a nice tight S-curve. I tried again 4 more times and found it completely repeatable within 20 feet each time and nice minimal skip at the end. I could throw my wraith similar but with very tiny turn and much bigger sweeping hyzer finish with a huge skip.

So I feel when thrown with the nuts outside the skirt, The Groove that I have is way more controllable.

I love the Groove. I throw FH and nothing I've thrown goes as far. Now if I can only get consistent with the accuracy. When it goes astray, it goes ASTRAY!

I don't have a big arm and I've taken heat on here for using a disc beyond my ability. :p I say. I use a lighter weight 166g, it seems to make up for my lack of snap.

I have to agree with the FH'ers here, I tried my Champ Groove RHBH initially and was very disappointed with how over-stable it seemed to me.. Throwing RHFH however this disc has a place in my bag..

I can tell it's getting more flippy, maybe one of these days it will earn a place in the RHBH lineup

I throw RHBH and can get good distance out of it if I throw it 100% flat. On top of that it skips a decent amount for me for some extra D. But if my throw is off a bit, it crashes and burns. Bad.

i bought a 174 ch groove when they first came out cuz i wanted something a lil less stable than the boss which is what was advertised, but i was shocked when it was just as strong if not stronger, so i sold it, i later bought a 167, and while still stronger than any 167 disc ive ever had, its weak enough you can see the difference. So maybe its too big a disc for you, maybe youre not throwing it correctly or in the right conditions, i prefer to throw it on long, open holes, with a tail wind and a long s curve and it suits me just fine

I picked a champion groove 175 up yesterday.
Only thrown it a few times, but it seems to throw very similiar to a champ. xcaliber 175.
I throw a very strong righthand forehand. The groove definitely pulls to the right harder than the Xcal which pulls harder than the Boss, but this might be because it is brand new and not loosened up yet. I'm going to throw the hell out of it and see how things progress.
Anyone else think it throws like an Xcaliber?

I lost my Groove in a lake due to an errant shot + crosswind. I threw forehand with a left-to-right wind, so when the disc faded, it went straight in!

Only thrown it a few times, but it seems to throw very similiar to a champ. xcaliber 175.
I throw a very strong righthand forehand. The groove definitely pulls to the right harder than the Xcal which pulls harder than the Boss, but this might be because it is brand new and not loosened up yet. I'm going to throw the hell out of it and see how things progress.

You and someone else said this and i'm confused. I thought it was supposed to be a understable Boss and your saying it turns right on you(rhfh)? Good thing I didn't buy one or I might of been surprised. I swear it's supposed to turn instead of just hard fade.

I got a 175g Champ Groove, and it was much more overstable than I had thought it would be. However, it's starting to beat in and go a little straighter. This disc supposedly has more glide than the boss?! I call bull$#1T, Innova! Maybe I just need a lighter weight? (I actually weighed mine in at 177g even though it says 175 on the back).

I only use it on forehand shots, too much fade for my backhand. And if I'm going for a forehand bomb, I might as well just use my Star Boss instead... it goes farther than my groove pretty consistently -- but everyone's throw is different.

You and someone else said this and i'm confused. I thought it was supposed to be a understable Boss and your saying it turns right on you(rhfh)? Good thing I didn't buy one or I might of been surprised. I swear it's supposed to turn instead of just hard fade.

You are misinformed and would have been suprised. The groove is not understable at all. Pulls right (forehand) like a mofo and flies just like the Xcal.
For reference, discs like Destroyers and Orcs can be understable for me sometimes. I am throwing max weight champ. plastic. Maybe a lighter groove would be less stable?

Wow we must have very different throwing styles. In my opinion, the Boss pulls the hardest, then the Xcal, then the Groove (all 175g) this is the exact opposite order you put them in, ha. I wouldn't call myself a "very strong" forehander, but I can chuck 'em out there past 400 ft. I am about 50/50 on forehand/backhand drives.

My champ groove became much less overstable once I started breaking it in -- out of the box it was quite a hog. I think I would like a lighter groove (167-168) for my backhand throws.

Wow we must have very different throwing styles. In my opinion, the Boss pulls the hardest, then the Xcal, then the Groove (all 175g) this is the exact opposite order you put them in, ha. I wouldn't call myself a "very strong" forehander, but I can chuck 'em out there past 400 ft. I am about 50/50 on forehand/backhand drives.

My champ groove became much less overstable once I started breaking it in -- out of the box it was quite a hog. I think I would like a lighter groove (167-168) for my backhand throws.

Cool - I think we have similar styles ( I do the backhand/forehand thing past 400') but maybe our discs are at different degrees of wear. My Boss is definitely beat when compared to my groove or xcal. I did throw someone's new star boss, and I was *shocked* by how stable it was. Way more stable than any of my discs. Maybe I am underrating the stability of the boss.

They just take a while to break in, Ive been throwing a groove for a while now and it is way less stable than my wraith. It flies like a broken in valk. now. When I first got it she was just as stable as my champ boss, not even close now though! I mean its really touchy now and its 174g.

The groove is the biggest meat hook in my bag, Ive thrown it probly 4 times, Ill be trading it in the future if someone wants it. (170 champ groove). I dont care for it at all, I have discs that will go 100 feet further for me.

huh for everybody who is saying that the groove is super stable... how many times have you thrown it? Once? twice? I have one and it started out being super overstable like everybody is saying but after a week or so of use, it started turning over really easy. Now that it's a few months old, it's practically useless for forehand, unleses there's a strong tailwind, and even then it turns into a roller often.
I would have to say max is most stable, then xcal, then boss, then... like everyother disc ever, then groove. The only disc I can really compare it to forehand is a sidewinder I used to have.
Keep in mind i'm talking about for forehands only. I have however had some of my longest backhand drives with it.

Latest posts