• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tin Cup

Chunks

Playing at Towne Lake DGC in McKinney Texas with Roc1time yesterday...After birdieing hole 1 I step up to hole 2, and it was all down hill from there.

Hole 2 is a very wooded hole with a creek that runs along the right side of the fairway for 350ft or so. After that 350ft the creek (and fairway) dogleg right and it is another 150-200 feet to the pin. The shot here is a simple straight/hyzer shot that flies 360-400' and falls left harmlessly, away from the creek and in position to execute a simple upshot.

My tee shot on hole 2 did not go as planned.

Shot 1- Destroyer- turned over smacked the tree that leans over the creek and splash.
Shot 2- Drop
Shot 3- Option 1:There is the tinniest of tiny little gaps between limbs over the creek. It is about 75' to that "gap" and then another 100' straight (finishing a little left). Option 2: play safe. Flick around the dogleg, throw easy upshot, tap in putt for 5. My choice...Option 1. Result...Buzzz off the tree, in the water.
Shot 4- Drop
Shot 5- I am now convinced that I need to make this "gap". The only way I am not going to hit this "gap" is if I run out of discs to throw. I make my intentions known to the rest of the card. (I think they were ecstatic at this point since we were playing for money). Buzzz #2...smack, splash.
Shot 6-Drop
Shot 7- Wasp...smack, splash
Shot 8- Drop
Shot 9- Drone...through the gap, over the dogleg in the creek. Parked
Shot 10- Tap in

My score card after 4 holes: 2, 10, 2, 2...how often do you birdie 3 of 4 and sit at +4!

I know there are more stories similar to this one out there, and I'd be interested in hearing them.

Disclaimer- I am really not interested in stories of weenie arms that play 1000' holes and take big scores. If you have these stories please feel free to start a new thread.

Playing #3 at Huntington, the lie about 30 feet from the pin. No clear run at the chains though. The upshot lands a bit short and rolls sideways, then turns and rolls the other way, then turns again and rolls back - all the time generally heading downhill, just baaaack and foooorth, baaaack and foooorth, until it finally decides that enough is enough and picks up some serious speed.

The disc takes off down the hill, misses about 23465729348 trees, and winds up sitting by the lake, maybe 200 feet from the pin.

Five shots later, we hear chains.

SHEESH!!!!

haha, wow that sucks man...I woulda given up and went swimming :p....I HATE water courses and I have a tournament outta town coming up this weekend..so we will see how I do...I love the hilly courses too, but not like open hilly, wooded hilly...the kind where you are looking at 150ft mach 1 basket with a shallow POS basket...line up, throw a great hyzer shot through the trees, hit the basket, lands IN the basket, boucnes OUT of the basket, and then rolls down the long hill in order to receive a 4 instead of a 1....becuase everytime you putt it likes to hit a stump or root and roll back down to you...lol

It might have been one of the greatest things EVER!!! Just kiddin but it was funny as hell. And yes I have one too...

Long 17 at AC across the street. A couple years ago I had a 5 stroke lead over 2 more of our buddies one of which was there yesterday as well. Long 17 has a nice little anny line that you can hit pretty easily with a midrange turnover shot or you can throw a big hyzer but you cant get there for a bird that way. Anyways I threw my first roc and splash, drop 2, throw second roc and splash, drop 4, throw third roc and bang off the tree and go across the creek, drop 6, throw fourth roc and splash, drop 8, throw fifth roc and splash again, drop 10, and throw my last roc, and walla I made it, parked it under the basket for my 12. Needless to say I lost the overall but won most of the skins so I still came out on top. Go Kevin Costner!!!:eek:

It might have been one of the greatest things EVER!!! Just kiddin but it was funny as hell. And yes I have one too...

Long 17 at AC across the street. A couple years ago I had a 5 stroke lead over 2 more of our buddies one of which was there yesterday as well. Long 17 has a nice little anny line that you can hit pretty easily with a midrange turnover shot or you can throw a big hyzer but you cant get there for a bird that way. Anyways I threw my first roc and splash, drop 2, throw second roc and splash, drop 4, throw third roc and bang off the tree and go across the creek, drop 6, throw fourth roc and splash, drop 8, throw fifth roc and splash again, drop 10, and throw my last roc, and walla I made it, parked it under the basket for my 12. Needless to say I lost the overall but won most of the skins so I still came out on top. Go Kevin Costner!!!:eek:

reading all these horror stories about water is making me wonder why im going to this tournament..im bring my swim trunks!!! :|

Just be smart. Dont do stupid $hit and dont throw where you can get yourself into trouble. Let me know how you do

Sorry Chunks, E-Bully (Justin B.) has you. Sanctioned play, same hole. He was ob in the tree to the right of the fairway with all vines and thorns from his tee shot. I don't know if it took one or two more shots before he got to the "tin cup gap" that you were at. Quad-circle 14 in sanctioned play. He was under par with most of the round behind him going into that hole.

1Time, This makes me think of the story about John G going berserker on his bag. lol

Ya but he didnt do it because of water or OB, just playing bad

I just need to quit this pesky job and I can come play with you guys durring the day!

I'm down to a few rounds a week. After being in the AC all day 100+ outside isn't an option.

Charleston Classic, temporary course at Hampton Park, there's an island hole with with water before and on either side, concrete on back. Usually windy, sometimes very windy.

I've known of a pro getting a 13, and heard stories of Ams getting 20+, and one running out of discs 2 years ago.

Not "tin cup" in the sense that they were foolishly going for it---just failing to execute.

At Vista del Camino, in casual play, with a big headwind, I once threw a hyzer in the creek, an anyhyzer in the creek, tried to lay up on the near shore and skipped into the creek, etc., etc., to the tune of a 13 on a birdie hole.

Long ago in my earlier days, Crooked Creek in Chapin, hole 2, about a 300' anhyzer with basket just beyond OB creek. I'd never cleared it to the green before, but did so twice in warmups. So....Round 1, tried to clear it, land in creek. Round 2, tried to clear it, hit far shore and fell back into creek. Round 3, hit tree on other side, rolled back into creek.

Too bad it was just a 3-round tournament. If there'd been a 4th round, I KNOW I could have cleared that creek!

Last edited:
Hole 14 at Kaposia, Throw way right, into bushes, takes two hard tomahawk throws to get it out of the brush, proceeds to roll into the brush on the other side, throw way too hard, well past the basket, then hit a tree branch on first putt, and make it on second putt

Chunks?LOL.I bet Rob had a goodtime with this one?A few years ago at the Waco(Atier) tourney I was on hole 17(not beast)and in water, in water again,so to make sure I didn't throw in the water I threw in the road,triple circle 9.

Giles- Yes, you should quit that job of yours...golf is more fun, you could turn to a life of crime to pay the bills.

Ron- Even Rob felt a little bad for me...that's how bad it was. If the shoe was on the other foot I probably would have kicked him in the crotch a bit more than he did to me...might have had something to do with the round I had just before this disaster. All in all some POOR golfin'!

I almost went into "Tin Cup" mode yesterday at Great Blue Heron on hole 21.
da30c176.jpg

310' to carry the water from the tee (and I google earthed it to verify)

Now I generally throw my Pro Leopards 275'-300' range and have hit 320' before with them but not often, then I have my Vulcans for anything more than that usually but I wasn't going to throw them here. Walking up, my buddy said "I know I can't clear that; I don't know if I could clear that if I laid up. Think you could, though."

So, I gave it ago with a couple of throw away discs I had with me. First was a 150 DX Valk that just a flick of the wrist BH and it crashes and burns, so I put it on about as steep of hyzer as possible. It flipped up and hard right and splashed probably 100' short. Next one was a 170 DX Valk which was about equally beat but with the weight, it usually is more workable. Think I got it about right but it carried a bit more right than I would have liked probably giving it a little further to go and splashed 10' short or so.

I was pretty frustrated thinking I should be able to make it and was close trying some more, but I did manage to get myself to just walk away. I know I dont usually throw Valks but man; I really think I should be able to get that far with one. It was self humiliating.

kudos to that guy for not blowing up, if I did that I would probably just leave. Not that i would try to throw over that, I'd go do what the old guy did.

The year the Discraft Z Crush came out was awesome. I saw many tin cups on hole #10 on the Blue Course during the Homie Tournament. There was a large gap that allowed a clear shot out over the pond. It took a huge pump to get to the pin. Guys were blowing up on that hole one group at a time. There was a 3-4 group backup watching. Dozens of Z Crushes were floating on the tops of the lilly pads.