• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips and criticisms of drive

Well, after watching your clip several times I found myself thinking you had a better drive than most. I am guessing that you may struggle a little bit with accuracy or consistently hitting lines. This guess comes from the fact that your reach back seems to go more around your body rather than straight back. The disc should travel on the line of your desired flight path for as long as possible from the furthest point you reach back until you snap on the release. I am no master at this myself but have found that when I think about pulling the disc on a straight line I can be more consistent with my accuracy. The other tip I would have comes from the Discraft, "More Distance Now" video. You could probably afford to pull through a little bit lower and the keep the same height for your finish. The arm will naturally pull through quicker and therefore add distance. I am sure with another angle the advice might be more accurate and complete. If only it were easier to do a top down angle that would help. Keep having fun with it, you appear to be doing well.

1) I would focus on bringing the disc straight back and forward on as straight a line as I could.

2) Slow your footwork down.

3) Practice in a field, not on the course.

Just my $0.02.

Daniel

Make sure your form is comfortable to you and improve from there. I agree with slowing down. Another option of throwing in a field is throw 3-4, or 5-6, drives a hole on every hole during practice rounds. Most shots are not straight shots like you do in a field, doing that on a course makes you practice more of your shots.

I've been working on my reach back lately as well. I found my habit of holding the disc out in front of me before the run up was horrible for my reach back. Your vid clip illustrates it perfectly. My rigid arm never bent at the elbow and my drive accuracy was all over the place.

To break the habit, I stopped holding my disc out in front and started holding it like a bowling ball close to my chest.

Watch the dude at 3:24 mark. This is what i'm trying to achieve for reach back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY

You don't need to keep your arm so straight at the first part of your reach back

Thanks, ill try to work on what yall have suggested. Oh and my fast footwork and my very rigid arm are due to the fact that this is a max D form. It was the only recent video of my driving that had my most recent driving form. But still ill try what was suggested.

Last edited:
You've got a solid foundation but I think you may be strong arming it too much. Your arm should be loose, relaxed, and used to guide the disc whereas the power comes from the body (hips, legs). Your timing is really good I think, just work on throwing with your body more and your arm less.

Thanks, ill try to work on what yall have suggested. Oh and my fast footwork and my very rigid arm are due to the fact that this is a max D form. It was the only recent video of my driving that had my most recent driving form. But still ill try what was suggested.

Doesn't matter. Even max D drives need to be controlled in footwork for the timing of it all. If your timing is off, you WILL NOT get max D. Dave Greenwell (multi world champ from around here) stresses this tremendously. For a guy well into his 50s, he puts it out there 400' or so with pinpoint accuracy and is VERY slow and relaxed on the pad.

Dave Greenwell was the first golfer that ever showed me the potential distance someone can get with a disc. Greenwell had/has more shots in his bag of tricks than any other golfer I've seen, and he does each shot like he practices them all the time.

I went out discing on Sunday and tried out the advice given to me. After around a round and about 30-40 drives I noticed that the discs were going as far but with less effort and less high speed turn. My question is about the decreasing high speed turn. I always would drastically turn over my beast whenever i threw it relatively flat but yesterday I was throwing very nice S curves with a very slight hyzer angle. I was throwing at the same velocity. Why is this happening?

You probably had some OAT and are getting more snap/spin now which will cause them to fly straighter with less effort.

Ok...yeah looking at your vid, your reach back is way off axis and your run-up is for annie creating more off axis torque. Try x-stepping(not running) left to right of the tee pad and keep your reach back loose and low. Don't really focus on the reach back, it happens naturally from the x-step, just keep the disc on the right plane. Also you are pulling early and not leading with the elbow(I think hard to see from that angle), try getting your shoulders more forward(weight forward) before pulling. Looks like you threw nose up in the vid, getting your weight more forward will fix that.

Latest posts