• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TN/NC road trip ideas

GratefulDread

Hey folks, I'm taking a weeklong road trip from Western PA to Tennessee and North Carolina for disc golf and some camping and hiking. Tentative plan is Eastern TN (Harmon Hills), Great Smoky area, Asheville, Charlotte (what courses are musts?), maybe hit up courses near Wilksboro and Roanoke on the way back.

I'd be grateful for your recommendations! What can't I miss? What are the best parks breweries, scenic roads, food, etc.?

Tommy Schupert above Knoxville is super cool with 3 pads and 3 baskets per on the side of a ridge.

And Cades Cove is a great drive/bike ride with Rich Mountain trail and Abram's Falls along the way. Laural Falls, Grotto and the Sinks are also cool. Mingo Falls if you get over to Cherokee is cool to. I like water falls, haha.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is easily the most scenic road.

Among my favorite courses anywhere, and located in the NW corner of NC, are Ashe County and Sugaree. Be sure to catch them if you can.

Can't help with breweries or food, most of my mountain hiking has been on the other side of Asheville, and the rest depends on what you like to do.

You might look up Cataloochie Valley. It's like Cades Cove, without the people. It's close to the interstate but a bit of a long gravel road drive, into a valley in the national park that still has some old uninhabited buildings, fields, and some good national park grails leading out of it. Very beautiful and peaceful.

There are easily two to three dozen excellent courses you'll pass between eastern TN, NC, and southern VA. Too many to list here, especially as everyone's tastes will vary.

My suggestion is to use the map function on this site, set your filter to 4.0 (or 3.5) or higher rated courses. The masses are pretty clear on the courses that are must play.

My second suggestion is to pace yourself and vary it out. You may be in better shape than most. But from experience, most players are going to wear themselves out playing several days of mountain/extremely hilly courses. So, if you're playing Harmon, Panther Creek State Park, Richmond Hill, Ashe County, and Rolling Pines on back to back days, your legs and arm will feel it by day 3. I wouldn't recommend following that up with Nevin, Hornets Nest, Renny, and/or Bradford in Charlotte on day 3.

Panther Creek is amazing and Morristown is a great disc golf area!!!!

Latest posts