• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 20 - 2018 PDGA Pro Earnings

Well, we are still using imperial measurements. Be kind to us. :p

We do to. . .sometimes ;) oddly enough

car rims, speaker cones, TV size, bicycle frames and many other tings we use inch as measurements

Top ten still made more than an average kindergarten teacher here. I guess live must be good...

Most Kindergarten teachers have an education and experience. How many touring pros have a college degree and real life job experience should they be injured or decide to pursue a career outside of dg? This is why it seems some of the touring pros are Trust Fund babies. Not to call out anyone individually, but a few of the touring pros seem to never finish in the top 10 at major events where payouts are larger but travel constantly in RVs and/or coach surfing.

IIRC, Dave Dunipace (Innova founder) was a Trust Fund baby, and turned it into a Pro career and then patented the bevel-edged disc. The rest is history.
If someone has a trust fund or inheritance and wants to use it to tour on the DG circuit, more power to them.
I don't envy them. Their life, their choices.
However...I'm not necessarily inclined to support them further.

OTOH, I agree with those that say travelling Pros make life decisions when they tour.
Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they learn that better options exist.
Even so...I'm not necessarily inclined to support them either.

I am a recreational disc golfer from KC and enjoy watching the MPO when they are in town or over at Emporia. I believe I would pay $20 to watch a final 18 or maybe $40 for a weekend pass... I just enjoy watching the top dogs throw. Also I work a 40 hr week job and realize these guys work a hell of alot harder then I do. I just wish someone could find these guys more money. However they are young and having fun so I guess that counts for something.

One of the pros' problems is that there aren't a whole lot more of you.

It's hard to find a lot of people who will watch for free, let alone pay $20 or $40.

I am a recreational disc golfer from KC and enjoy watching the MPO when they are in town or over at Emporia. I believe I would pay $20 to watch a final 18 or maybe $40 for a weekend pass... I just enjoy watching the top dogs throw. Also I work a 40 hr week job and realize these guys work a hell of alot harder then I do. I just wish someone could find these guys more money. However they are young and having fun so I guess that counts for something.

So what branch of the government do you work for?

Lol....I am not begrudging them the chance to make a living at disc golf, but not on my PDGA dime. Much like David below, I would rather see my money go toward building the tournament and sponsorship infrastructure, to allow them to succeed. At the same time building a framework that would improve the amateur experience.

I also an AM btw, but "building the tournament" , etc, our fees already do that I'm assuming to cover insurance, etc.

IIRC, Dave Dunipace (Innova founder) was a Trust Fund baby, and turned it into a Pro career and then patented the bevel-edged disc.

Dave Dunipace was NOT a trust fund baby. Dave put himself through college and graduate school by working several jobs. There was absolutely no such thing as a "Pro Career" in disc golf in 1983. Dave Dunipace won a whopping $300 as a Pro Disc Golfer in 1983: https://www.pdga.com/player/987/stats/1983

Please listen to Harold Duvall explain how Innova started on First Round Radio #117.

At 13:10 Harold explains: Dave had the design, Tim had the contacts at Wham-O, Charlie and Harold had some money.

http://finalroundradio.libsyn.com/harold-duvall

Listen to the entire interview for the full story from one of Innova's founders. 10:40, how Innova founders met. 16:25, Innova East was started in a spare bedroom in Harold's apartment.

As far as I know, she is not a teacher. It is perhaps what she used to do or went to school to do (I don't know), but Sarah Hokom has been a full time touring player for quite a few years. Definitely not a weekends/summers-only kind of player.

Perhaps you're confusing her with Sarah (Stanhope) Cunningham, 2010 FPO World Champ. I believe she is a teacher who only toured during her summer break, and now only really plays locally since becoming a mom.

I don't know much about Hokom, but you are correct about Cunningham. She did a lot of summer events and picked a select few school-year events to attend, but nowadays she stays local plus maybe one or two traveling events per year. Two kids and another on the way and a full-time job makes disc golf more of a hobby than a career.

Dave Dunipace was NOT a trust fund baby. Dave put himself through college and graduate school by working several jobs. There was absolutely no such thing as a "Pro Career" in disc golf in 1983. Dave Dunipace won a whopping $300 as a Pro Disc Golfer in 1983: https://www.pdga.com/player/987/stats/1983

Please listen to Harold Duvall explain how Innova started on First Round Radio #117.

At 13:10 Harold explains: Dave had the design, Tim had the contacts at Wham-O, Charlie and Harold had some money.

http://finalroundradio.libsyn.com/harold-duvall

Listen to the entire interview for the full story from one of Innova's founders. 10:40, how Innova founders met. 16:25, Innova East was started in a spare bedroom in Harold's apartment.

Thanks for the correction.
My apologies for the misinformation.

I've always wondered why the PDGA can't initiate some kind of additional pay out program for the top 3 players from each major, nt event. I would have no problem knowing some of my yearly dues, money from local tournaments, etc, went to this program.

I would have a big problem with it, like a cancel my membership style problem.

I think we have beat this horse to death before. No surprise that tour winners aren't making more money.

But I do recall hearing last year that with disc company endorsements a few made six figures.

We can't argue the fact that more and more are touring and the love of the game is driving this rather than money.