• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros This Year

That was kind of creepy, asking a little kid if he is a virgin. I like how Simon raises his brow at that. Looks like he is having fun and really proud of that shot.

I thought the same thing, kinda creepy to say that to a kid.

But damn, Simon throwing crazy lines at about 10yrs old, too funny.

I would really like to see Philo have a great season. He was just off the lead card at the AO... I'm an underdog/darkhorse kind of guy, so I'd be thrilled to be rooting for some new faces to be on the lead cards. I'd like to see more under card coverage too for that matter.

Ricky and Eagle played amazingly at the AO, but I honestly can't believe that anyone wouldn't have McBeth as the top dog in the field at this point. We are only 1 major in to the season. He would need to lose a handful more tournaments before it's even a statistically valid argument. He's not my fav necessarily, but dethroned he is not. I realize that much of this thread is just everyone's opinion on how the tour may pan out, so just sayin'.

My $0.02: First the women:

IMHO Valarie Doss leaving Innova and starting new projects (and making beer) will impact her DG playing in 2017, and she will likely not have the same year she had in 2016. She and other old pros, like Hannah Leatherman, might spring up and win the occasional tournament or title, as Hannah did at the 2015 USWDGC and Val did at the 2016 Worlds. But I'm not expecting Val to be top-tier this year. Hope I'm wrong, but that's the call there.

We are fortunate to have many young, up-and-coming women on the DG FPO Tour, many of which have been already mentioned. I'm hoping some of them can improve and have breakout years, a'la Eagle having a breakout year.

All-in-all, though... it's the big three: Catrina Allen, Paige Pierce, and Sarah Hokum. They will be the dominant women players this year, IMHO. Now that Paige is out of the (Hades) Prodigy put her through in 2016, she is fired up to show not only her own greatness, but how well she will do with her new sponsor and their discs. Catrina will be remembering the (for her) disaster at the 2016 Worlds, and will be motivated to crush in 2017. And Sarah is IMHO the only woman right now that can consistently challenge the other two women, and she will do so. I hope she has something behind her to fiercely motivate her.

Until the other women can throw like girls like Catrina and Paige, who can challenge the Boys... I think it's be mostly these three top-tier talented women on the FPO lead cards in 2017.

My $0.02 on the men:

The Aussie Open was a great event, and it showed some things. First, Ricky Wisocky is ready for another big year. His putting continues to be awesome, he continues to throw extremely accurately, he's dialed in, and it looks like he's still motivated to win.

Eagle played a great Aussie Open, and he'll be challenging the others in 2017. He's still young, he's still gaining experience, but he has a tremendous game and will only improve, IMHO... provided he doesn't let the close loss at the Aussie Open affect him mentally.

Simon Lizotte - before his injury he was beginning to win tournaments. He won in a playoff over McBeth and Sexton (don't remember which tournament), and was looking poised for greatness until his injury. If he can overcome that and get his game back in shape, he'll be a top-tier challenger. But part of overcoming the injury is overcoming the mental aspect of it all...

Big Jerm is now with Innova. Switching discs might hold him back some this year, but IMHO he'll begin to to challenge more and more as time goes on. Big Jerm and Innova will be a monster matchup.

Nate Sexton... I think he's the one that is going to have to win a big one to get over the hump. He has the skills, he has a solid game and good decision-making... but he lost to Ricky in a playoff last year in a tournament he should have won, he's lost leads very late in other tournaments... I'm less worried about Eagle's mental game when it's all on the line than I am Nate Sexton. I really hope Nate breaks through.

Philo has flashes of brilliance, but is often up-and-down, hot-and-cold, on-and-off. If and when he hits "on", it'll be "on", fer sure.

A bunch of other players have been named in the thread, and any of them can pop out and win a tournament here and there... someone may break out and begin competing with the very top players.

And I saved the best for last: McBeast. I was (unhappily) surprised at Paul's 2016 season. I know he was injured, and I hope he fully recovers. But I did not understand his play at Worlds... he was throwing out of bounds a lot, seeming to take too many chances. Ricky played conservative at Worlds and built a huge lead. Sexton plays conservative and is in the top-tier. But Paul had a lot of damaging OBs at Worlds, and a few at this year's Aussie Open. I hope he gets his mental mojo and course management thinking back. If he does, I think he can begin crushing Ricky again. If not, 2017 will be like 2016 for him. Paul's putting is becoming stellar again (as Ricky's continues to be), and if Paul stops the OBs at inappropriate times (meaning every time), he'll start winning again.

TL;DR - I want some McBeth 5x discs. Make it so, Number One.

2 thoughts:

1-koling keeps mentioning a recurring injury that comes and goes. This may affect his season substantially if it doesn't get a chance to heal up

2-mcbeth may have beefed up with too much strength workouts, leading to a slight reduction in muscle control for things like putting, but possibly making him less prone to injury...

Ok, thoughts?

2 thoughts:

1-koling keeps mentioning a recurring injury that comes and goes. This may affect his season substantially if it doesn't get a chance to heal up

2-mcbeth may have beefed up with too much strength workouts, leading to a slight reduction in muscle control for things like putting, but possibly making him less prone to injury...

Ok, thoughts?

Don't know about Kolling. The too much muscle argument was made about pitchers up to the 80s. Then Roger Clemens happened.

On McB and putting. Putting has two components, skill and confidence. It seems that the skill part takes nuts and bolts work and lots of it. Distractions are deadly. Paul's efforts on the marketing side this year have been a huge distraction. I suspect that more than anything else for the lessening of his putting. Of course, only Paul really knows and his lessening means that he plays like Batman instead of Superman. Life sucks ya know.

SD, I think you're right on in terms of Paul's OB woes. But it seems to me that his putting still isn't where it was.

Hmm.. Baseball pitchers do need to be pretty accurate, good point. You think bulking up helped, or hurt Avery? Obviously, he won a worlds, but it seemed like he was poised to take more big wins at one point in his career..

SD, I think you're right on in terms of Paul's OB woes. But it seems to me that his putting still isn't where it was.

I thought Paul's putting was good in the Aussie Open, and really began coming on in the last round. This is one place the "metrics" can show us something, and Paul had out-of-the-circle putt numbers better than the others on his card. We'll see how it goes as the season progresses...

Hmm.. Baseball pitchers do need to be pretty accurate, good point. You think bulking up helped, or hurt Avery? Obviously, he won a worlds, but it seemed like he was poised to take more big wins at one point in his career..

I don't really think I have the skill to assess. I just remember the ad nauseum discussions. Clemens was built like Avery with a belly. And was pretty darn accurate. Avery is hard for me to assess. He seems more motivated by his roll at Discmania than winning.

I thought Paul's putting was good in the Aussie Open, and really began coming on in the last round. This is one place the "metrics" can show us something, and Paul had out-of-the-circle putt numbers better than the others on his card. We'll see how it goes as the season progresses...

Man, you can't do that and not wheel out metrics from last year and compare them to AO. :D

i think it would be a great move if prodigy focused on Chris Dickerson and had him go to Europe, big NT's, and all the majors.

his game is similar to Brad Williams', sans mental issues and better putting.

solid everything backhand, forehand, scramble game, putting. also in just in his early 20's !

legit threat to be in the top 5 or even higher if properly exposed in the big stages.

I'd love to see Nate Doss make another run at a world championship.

Me too, but as great as he is, I just think he's got too many other things going on. The one thing I've learned from Paul vs Ricky, focus matters.

"Stay on target. Stay on target."

Red Leader

Does Ricky ever get noticeably upset with a bad drive or a bad putt?

BTW what I meant to indicate is that Ricky became more focused last year, and Paul became less. It's more complex than that but Ricky's focus paid off for him IMO.

BTW what I meant to indicate is that Ricky became more focused last year, and Paul became less. It's more complex than that but Ricky's focus paid off for him IMO.

Don't think this is true at all. But like you said, Ricky has just elevated his game a couple notch or two.