• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

total gym models

this site has good pictures showing the different levels of build... when i was shopping around i took a while before i could see the differences.

http://totalhomegym.net/

yah, that's a good summary.

doesn't quite cover the 852 other models (mostly low end), but pretty much every model that isn't listed there falls somewhere between the 1100 and 1500.

Hopefully no one here actually works for Total Gym....
What about the Weider Total Body Works 5000? It got great reviews (50 of them) on amazon, and is for sale at walmart.com for $140, free shipping to store. It includes the pullup attachment, and a squat attachment. Instead of being able to add weights, it includes 4 elastic cables to increase the resistance up to 50 lbs.

I've been unable to find any Total Gym models over the 1500 model for less than $200.

the bayou total fitness is superior to most of the total gym models (with the exception of the 5-digit model ones). the weider ones, not so much.

the 1700 is a great value if it has all of the attachments (it has everything but the squat plate and ab crunch boards).

it's more of a patience game. just about everyone i've helped track them down has been able to score a 2000 or higher for under $200, it just might take a few weeks. try sending out some offers on the ones that are already out there and see what happens.

Claytoon said:
Hopefully no one here actually works for Total Gym....
What about the Weider Total Body Works 5000? It got great reviews (50 of them) on amazon, and is for sale at walmart.com for $140, free shipping to store. It includes the pullup attachment, and a squat attachment. Instead of being able to add weights, it includes 4 elastic cables to increase the resistance up to 50 lbs.

I've been unable to find any Total Gym models over the 1500 model for less than $200.

Have you only been looking for new ones, or have you been looking for used too? I'd definitely steer away from buying one new since you can get one for like a 1/4 of the price (often much less) used. I've got a feeling that there should be some decent deals coming along soon, now that a lot of people have fallen through on their New Year's resolutions.

Hell, I guess I could fall into that group...not quite ready to sell it off though. Does anybody know where to find a good deal on persistence and motivation?

Blake_T said:
the bayou total fitness is superior to most of the total gym models (with the exception of the 5-digit model ones). the weider ones, not so much.

According to the bayou website, they manufacture the Weider one. (or are they just a distributer...)

And yes I am only looking at used ones, but I want to make sure I get one that has the wing attachment, would like the squat attachment, and my main concern is I want one that has the weight attachment, to add more weight. So...now I realize that I am primarily looking for the 1700 or above. I've emailed a couple people from Craigslist, as Blake recommended, and am hoping to hear back today.

I wouldn't sweat the weight attachment too much. In the browsing I did, I don't know if any of the total gyms had that included. You'll find you can get a plenty good workout without the weights, and if you do want to add weights, you can always buy the attachment later. It probably wouldn't be hard to rig one up either, if you had the tools.

yeah, even if the top position isn't hard enough for something like squats, you can always do 1-legged ones instead.

i haven't gotten *too* bored yet but i do find i have to try something a little different each time.

According to the bayou website, they manufacture the Weider one. (or are they just a distributer...)

And yes I am only looking at used ones, but I want to make sure I get one that has the wing attachment, would like the squat attachment, and my main concern is I want one that has the weight attachment, to add more weight. So...now I realize that I am primarily looking for the 1700 or above. I've emailed a couple people from Craigslist, as Blake recommended, and am hoping to hear back today.

ah. i just know from fitness trainer types that the bayou one is supposed to be better and the weider ones are supposed to be kind of crappy. i've found weider ones on CL before for like $25, and at that price it's probably worth it.

use the 1800 club as a base price reference. those are $350 new and basically have everything except a squat plate. press up bars, dip bars, wing, leg pulley, pilates bar, ab crunch boards, weight bar. basically, like $250 worth of add ons if you have a 2000/3000/xl/xls.

honestly, with the squat plate being as short as it is, you are almost better off doing body weight squats than doing squats on the TG. that is really the only exercise most people will crave more weight.

in most cases it's a bit shocking as to how much harder it is to do exercises when your feet aren't on the ground.

So I picked up a 1700 club today for $200. A little more than I wanted to pay, but I got tired of waiting for a deal on Craigslist in my area, AND it is basically brand new. Most of the accessories were still in the packaging. Basically, it was a very sad story...involving the death of the original owner's husband :(, but I learned everything from the seller...
But it came with the wing accessory, dip bars, push bars, leg straps (prob won't use, maybe for stretching), and pilates toe bar, which works fine for me for squats, since I only weigh 150.
This thing is fun! and I have it setup in front of my TV, so that will definitely keep me motivated. I can plan my workouts around my tv watchin' time! The ONLY thing I was surprised about was the size. I was oringinally going to put it in my "man-cave", but wouldn't fit, so I am going to have to keep it down stairs, and slide it under the couch. Doesn't fit under the couch completely, but I just read in the manual that the glide board can be removed, so I'll have to do that everytime. Figure after just a few times I should be able to knock out the setup/takedown in about 2 minutes.
Bonus, my awesome little dog apparently doesn't want to be left out, so whenever I'm doing workouts where I'm laying down, he jumps up on my stomach or back and rides along... :lol:

Anyone still getting good use out of the TotalGym? My wife and I are looking to buy one and there are a few XLS models around on cragslist. A new one for $500, but I don't want to pay that much even if it cost $1200 or more. Maybe a hundred or more less.

I'm kind of a sucker for trying to get the best of whatever possible within my means so is $400 for a basically new XLS a good deal?