• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest PDGA Tournament

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
This weekend Spike Hyzer is sponsoring a B - Tier at Stumpy Creek in Mooresville, NC. Everyone will play the longs at least once, ADV and OPEN twice. It is a 2 day 4 round event.

This has to be one of the harder PDGA events you'll go to. I know there are 100 holes of hell and things like that, but for 4 rounds 72 holes... what is a rougher tournament.

What else is out there? AmNats is on a hilly course but its only 1 round a day. There is a different feeling after 1 round at Tobaggan vs Stumpy Creek IMO.

4+ round tournaments are always hard. They're physically and more importantly mentally draining. Especially on technical courses like Stumpy. I can't imagine having to play a 4 round tourney at Idlewild. I have enough of that place after just 2 casual rounds :)

Solitude Full Throttle with the extra 9 holes is a beast from what I am told.........Especially at 9,000 feet. Bring your big boy pants for that one!

Solitude Full Throttle with the extra 9 holes is a beast from what I am told.........Especially at 9,000 feet. Bring your big boy pants for that one!

YES! I played this course with the "Monster 9" (sponsored by Monster Energy), and it was a terror. Those extra 9 are nothing to f*ck with! Very fun, though!!

YES! I played this course with the "Monster 9" (sponsored by Monster Energy), and it was a terror. Those extra 9 are nothing to f*ck with! Very fun, though!!

Dang great idea! Maybe next year Oscar Pistorius will sponsor the "Stumpy 9" at Stumpy Creek.

Toughest one I've played was in Delaware with two rounds each at Iron Hill and Carousel in 80+ degrees with average SSA 71.5 for the four rounds. Probably record for highest SSA 4-round event.

Toughest I played was the 10,000', par-70 Still Waters Farm, mostly shadeless on a steamy South Carolina summer weekend, 2 rounds Saturday, 1 on Sunday.

4 rounds at Stoney Hill, only about 7300' but pretty hilly, also does me in.

Depending on the format, the Ozark Mountain tournaments can be torturous. 2 rounds on Akitas and 2 rounds on The Mountain...kick in the nuts.

Now it's one round on each of the three courses, Spencer Davis is a par 63 course that plays tough but not as long as Ozark. It's still a long set of rounds with lots of hills though.

Toughest day of DG for me would be during the CAC. I think i played Renny and Nevin back to back.

Either the US Masters or HOF at the IDGC we (old guys, advanced masters)played the Jackson and Warner courses on Saturday which was around 16k - 18k feet of courses I would guess up and down hills. I cannot remember which course we played Friday but we played the Ed course in the shorts Sunday. Also, 4 rounds at Stoney Hill is tough in 2 days. No matter how brutal they are to play, they are still 4 of the best courses in the world and worth it.

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge. Two days, four rounds, 40,000'+, Par 288. One total woods, almost no OB. The other 75% open OB on over 1/2 of holes. Nice elevation changes on both.

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge. Two days, four rounds, 40,000'+, Par 288. One total woods, almost no OB. The other 75% open OB on over 1/2 of holes. Nice elevation changes on both.

This one which is the same as:

Toughest one I've played was in Delaware with two rounds each at Iron Hill and Carousel in 80+ degrees with average SSA 71.5 for the four rounds. Probably record for highest SSA 4-round event.

That one. Silly stuff. . . Just silly.

For me it would be VT10 (Deaf Nationals at Vermont in July 2010) due to 5 rounds in mountains and I hurt my neck badly and wanted to quit during 5th round but I stubborned kept playing and ended up 2nd. My 2nd toughest would be another Deaf Nationals at Austin TX (TX11) and it was during memorial weekend and there was heat wave. Man I never played in hotter weather than this. My water needs more than doubled than what I normally drink in Florida during peak summer months.

Yea it's funny this one comes right after DBs in the same conference which had to be cut to two rounds thanks to snow and ice. They should call it the punishment conference. The SSA was 64 there.

Last edited:
The 21 hole Salute at R.L. Smith in charlotte was the toughest I have delt with. R.L. has lots of terrain and is a pretty tough grind of a course during tourney play. But the major factor is the tournament takes place in June which ment High temps and Humidity for the entire tourney which would be bearable in a mostly wooded course normally however 3 temp holes are added in the WIDE open soccer fields.

The tournament is great but it is a true test of your stamina imo. It was the only time I have ever made a final 9 and I was actually kind of upset I had to go back out on the course.

Either the US Masters or HOF at the IDGC we (old guys, advanced masters)played the Jackson and Warner courses on Saturday which was around 16k - 18k feet of courses I would guess up and down hills. I cannot remember which course we played Friday but we played the Ed course in the shorts Sunday. Also, 4 rounds at Stoney Hill is tough in 2 days. No matter how brutal they are to play, they are still 4 of the best courses in the world and worth it.

Yeah, the Jackson course kills me. HOF has been 1 round per day when I played. Pam Childs was 2 rounds in a day, 1 of which was the Jackson, which is pretty tough on my old self. I haven't yet played a 4-round event at IDGC; not sure I'd survive.

Yeah, the Jackson course kills me. HOF has been 1 round per day when I played. Pam Childs was 2 rounds in a day, 1 of which was the Jackson, which is pretty tough on my old self. I haven't yet played a 4-round event at IDGC; not sure I'd survive.

Thinking back on it, I believe we played the Warner on Friday starting at 1pm. So we played Warner, Jackson, Warner, Steady Ed. The first 3 rounds were at least 4 hours each in the Spring. If this would have been during the summer (90degrees plus 80%-100% humidity), I am sure I would have needed a medic to follow me around.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/78052

I played this year and it was just rough. Especially Carousel in the 80+ heat with no shade. An average score of 65.25 over the 4 rounds won open, all on 18 hole courses...

Latest posts