• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest PDGA Tournament

The 21 hole Salute at R.L. Smith in charlotte was the toughest I have delt with. R.L. has lots of terrain and is a pretty tough grind of a course during tourney play. But the major factor is the tournament takes place in June which ment High temps and Humidity for the entire tourney which would be bearable in a mostly wooded course normally however 3 temp holes are added in the WIDE open soccer fields.

The tournament is great but it is a true test of your stamina imo. It was the only time I have ever made a final 9 and I was actually kind of upset I had to go back out on the course.

I played RL Smith during the early spring last year and it was exhausting. I am sure it is even more brutal with the foliage not to mention the heat and humidity.

The 21 hole Salute at R.L. Smith in charlotte was the toughest I have delt with. R.L. has lots of terrain and is a pretty tough grind of a course during tourney play. But the major factor is the tournament takes place in June which ment High temps and Humidity for the entire tourney which would be bearable in a mostly wooded course normally however 3 temp holes are added in the WIDE open soccer fields.

The tournament is great but it is a true test of your stamina imo. It was the only time I have ever made a final 9 and I was actually kind of upset I had to go back out on the course.

This year, it's in July! :D
July 13-14, start drinking water today to be ready!

hmm....never really thought of stumpy as that brutal. i guess i'm just used to playing courses with some terrain being closer to western nc.

not a 4-rounder but first day with two rounds at the high country up at ashe county is always tough. at least first round is longs and second is short, though. makes for some sore disc golfing on sunday if you aren't ready for saturday.

This year, it's in July! :D
July 13-14, start drinking water today to be ready!

Good lord. Im gonna have to start walking on a tredmill set on full incline in a sauna to prepare for this year.

With great heat comes a great tournament.

(It's way easier than a P90x session. That guy tried to kill me with his videos)

the year we played the 27 hole layout in the pouring rain at paw paw was pretty brutal- rounds were in the 8 hour range. i ate lunch twice during the round.

Saturday of SECO at the IDGC was pretty exhausting this year.

Morning round of team doubles on Warner (long tees, 18 holes), 10:00 - 1:00ish

Afternoon round of singles on Steady Ed/Warner (long tees on all 18 holes of Ed, short tees on front 9 of Warner), 2:30 - 7:30 ... yup, 5 hour round, 27 holes with mostly 5-somes, played the last two holes in the dark :gross:

... and then the booze ... er ... glow round later that night.

I played around 9 hours of disc golf that day :)

We played two rounds (27 holes each) @ the Flyboy meetup last year on the Saturday @ ~ 4hrs a round. That was more mentally exhausting, rather than physically.

Last edited:
The only equivalant I could think of would be a session of P90X.

Advanced men played RL Smith twice at worlds this past year, both times it was in the mid 90s and incredibly humid. Nothing like a wait on hole 3 in the burning sun drowning in your own sweat. Ugh. Once you got under the foliage it wasn't as bad.

the year we played the 27 hole layout in the pouring rain at paw paw was pretty brutal- rounds were in the 8 hour range. i ate lunch twice during the round.

I forgot all about Paw Paw. Not as much elevation, but it can definitely be a mentally devastating round. Especially in the rain, ugh.

I thought about Iron hill when I made the OP, but I've played the course, and while long, its not very hard to get around. I didn't feel tired after a round there or carosel (I've played both in the same day) like I do at Stumpy Creek. Usually when I play casual rounds I throw a couple shots per hole, even with that I think Stumpy Creek take a little more energy... but I was a few years younger when I played up north.

Vibram open...especially if its your first year competing

/thread

edit: vibram is not taxing on your body as far as hills, number of holes etc...but as far as course difficulty and level of competition...imo it certainly takes the cake

I'm signed up, and fired up, but a tad concerned about my stamina. Stumpy is a tougher walk than some of the NC mountain courses...I find it more tiring than, say, Richmond Hill, for example. I often compare these two in my mind, because they feature some very similar holes. But, where Richmond Hill does some contouring with the design to flatten out the walk some, Stumpy really revels in using all the elevation change available, so there's more straight up and down humps, and I think it's harder playing, esp from the longs.

The short vs. long tees, for the most part, don't change the distance walked, but obviously adds some throws. I.E. #10. You still have to scale the dirt wall that's the first leg of the fairway from the longs, to get to the short tee, no? Maybe not, I might not be remembering correctly, if there's a transition to 10 short from 9's basket, though it would still involve a climb.

At least it's not mid-summer...however, they're now calling for a high in the mid-40s and some rain maybe, which being out in the cold/rain all day can be as tiring. (Climbing muddy 45 degree slopes.)

I think the size of the field may play a role. Right now on PDGA.com they list like 65 players. Smaller cards will help. But if it gets filled to 90+, like the US Masters fundraiser at Kilborne, that will make for a longer day(s), and even more of a focus/mental game challenge, for me at least.

A 90's/90's day at Renny can be rough, and Nevin wears me out if I have one of those "fall apart" rounds, but I feel like Stumpy may be the biggest physical challenge in the area.

I'm looking forward to it, and thanks to Spikehyzer (and the OP/CDGC?) for getting a B-tier on this awesome, challenging, underrated course.

These courses sound like a beautiful nightmare! Haha someday I'll get to try some of then out.

I've got an iron man coming up thats 18 holes at a par 54 flat but longer course. Following that is a par 82, 27 holer. (9 short tech, 9 medium open, 9 long hilly) and then 18 more at another course that is a pitch and putt. All in one day in about 2 weeks.. I'm pumped!

Having never played Stumpy before, you guys weren't kidding! That course was up and down a hill every freaking hole. The first round from the longs with the sleet was brutal on my lazy butt.

Another shout out to Chuck, Spike Hyzer, and the States Vegas Club for a great tournament.

Has to be the delaware disc golf challenge...played on the course with the highest SSA for any public, permanent course in the US. 2 rounds of Iron Hill gold to gold and 2 rounds of carousel gold layout in the summer months. Absolutely brutal

Latest posts