• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Transferring images to vinyl

Kaikias

Birdie Member
How do you tranfer the image to vinyl. I have used a light box and was unable to get really clean lines. I have also cut out a pattern on paper and traced it to the vinyl. The problem is when you have an image inside of an image you end up with several patterns you have to line up.

In the few hand cut dyes that I have done I have just taped the image on top of the vinyl and cut throught the paper and vinyl at the same time. It dulls the blade faster than if you are just cutting vinyl, but it works.

I use white "sign vinyl" you can by two rolls of the stuff on EBAY for 8 bucks I want to say they art 18"X 10' or 12' pretty heavy duty stuff. once I cut everything out I put clear el cheepo contact paper on the top to hold all the bits together until I get the vinyl on the disc. When you print on the shiny side you get the image you want facing the right way.... but you have to let the ink kick our you'll get coal miners hands when you cut the image out

OK Figured I would let everyone know what I did. I had the plain clear contact paper that I got from local hobby shop. Well I took Royden's advice about trying to print on it directly. Well my printer wouldn't pick it up because it was too slick, so I tapped a some paper to the back of it and it worked like a charm. Now I can print directly on the contact paper.

Here's what I do, I think some others on here do the same thing...

I use a light box and tape the image face up to the backing and trace right on the light box. With only a little pressure you can cut just the contact paper / vinyl leaving the backing intact which allows for easy transfer! It also doesn't hurt your hands as much if your cutting alot

OK Figured I would let everyone know what I did. I had the plain clear contact paper that I got from local hobby shop. Well I took Royden's advice about trying to print on it directly. Well my printer wouldn't pick it up because it was too slick, so I tapped a some paper to the back of it and it worked like a charm. Now I can print directly on the contact paper.

What printer setting are you using? Glossy picture? I just did a dye, & had a lot of trouble with cutting it out, so if i could print out the image that would be fantastic! Thanks.