Trebs One Leg Stuff

Open to feedback here. I feel like I finally have some clarity on how to explain what I want people to take from my one leg drills.

@TrebuchetDiscGolf

I appreciate your clarity, style, and pace of presentation. I agreed with a lot of the instructive points.

I tend to focus on the demonstrated mechanics regardless of who says or shows it, and I appreciate you being here.

1. I have seen your own balanced tilt improve across videos. I think before you tended to have more tipping back or away, whereas you have more control now.

2. Your own move has a more rotational component overall than for instance a seabas dingle arm drill or Simon. Your move and balance are functioning somewhere between his and mine here.* That is related to how you carry/extend your leg when you load back to plant, and where your head is relative to your rear leg counterbalance when you show your extreme hyzer posture. I could show it a few ways, but for instance at 7:44 you tend to move your center over a narrower range than e.g., the sidewinder drill set and conceptualization relative to your feet (i.e., the tilted North-South tilted balance plane is slightly truncated). One result of that is that your motion has more of a rising shoulder and lower arm a bit at odds with the postural unit rather than allowing the leading shoulder to more freely dangle/dingle/swing/pull over the leading hip leg and knee (like Simon). Also related and very common: you have the humeral abduction component, but not the shoulder abduction component and phase Simon has that a dingle arm exaggerates. Thus your own arm move gives the appearance of more hinging and folding and unfolding like a series of gated hinges rather than a smooth anatomical whip coiling and uncoiling.

3. I do think that it is possible you and sidewinder have at least somewhat different ideas about how balance from head to toe works. I think your head and fundamental balance is held slightly more between your feet, or at least does not move completely in a Figure 8 pattern from heel to outstep to instep/toe. It's kind of close so you make it work getting foot to foot, but a ground pressure reading would probably reveal differences.

Again, none of this is personal or from a position of special affinity to any one set of ideas, just observations about mechanics. Once again, I appreciate that you are here and am open to discussions, differences in opinions or emphasis, the notion that there is more than one way to throw a disc, and evidence. :)

*And just in solidarity, while my own balance has improved, it still has shades of the issues he summarized there and I am working on them.

Last edited:
Open to feedback here. I feel like I finally have some clarity on how to explain what I want people to take from my one leg drills.

Treb, I think it might be helpful for everyone to weigh in on what I call the "Model 1 and Model 2" contrast in weight shifts/form styles. From the ground up, I think you move more like "Model 2." I think there are more differences in the upper body action I described, but since you and Sidewinder and I all think a lot about balance this might be a constructive place to talk more. Basically this came from watching a ton of players, every DG person's one leg and standstill drills, and then watching a ton of players again.

I also was trying to figure out why sometimes my standstills have an "accumulating acceleration" effect and the second one has a "burst" out of the backswing peak.

The first one is what some people call the "swing."

The second one is what some people call the "pull."

The first one is what I've "trained" with sidewinder at DGCR. I think it's an important foundational concept and form.

The second one I kind of encountered "accidentally" when I was throwing on the very rocky uneven course near me. That's when I really can't move my CoG very far, but I still need to get power. It loads the backswing up through the coil much more sharply and dramatically at the peak of the rearward move, then accelerates much more abruptly from there. I am still shifting weight, I am still getting foot to foot, and if anything I've got just a bit more springiness and abruptness in the move. This is also related to the "Thighmaster" dimension of hip adductor recruitment. I also think it is what Josh tends to mean when he compares "swing" vs. "pull" styles.

Anyway, all my half penny, FWIW etc.