• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Trilogy flight ratings update

"False ... more accurate"

Saint pro has a rim width equal to the saint, the XXX has a tremendously wide rim for a speed 7... I mean I get that these fly "slower" (what does that really mean) thanks to the blunt rims, but man, nothing about speed ratings is objective. Throw these with a rig and see how fast they lose speed, then we can talk about facts.

I'm just giving my opinions. There probably are no facts that can be called upon about disc speeds, so if we stick to them we will end up saying nothing.

I realize that a XXX has a rim that is bigger than what you expect a speed 7 disc to have. It flies shorter than a speed 8 or 9 disc though. It flies shorter than pretty much every speed 7 disc. Compare it to a Firebird. In my experience, it is shorter by a fair bit. One could try to attribute this to lots of overstability, but my Firebirds fade as much as my XXXs. The XXX is just shorter; that is my experience.

I don't know of any formula that disc manufacturers use to determine speed ratings. I don't know if an objective definition for this even exists. So, I throw them and categorize them myself.

Lat65 and DD just recalibrated their speed ratings on lots of discs, and I happen to think that most of these new ratings match my opinions better than before.

If you think a XXX should be categorized as faster based on whatever formula it is that you have made up for speed, fine. I don't care. I have my own ideas, and these manufacturers just reinforced my views. That is what I am saying.

Core is a speed 6, while Warship is a speed 5? If you throw these discs side by side, which I have done plenty, this is false. I have a passing understanding of aerodynamics, and I fully understand that a SPEED is not DISTANCE, as distance is the combination of all the flight numbers. For Example, A glidey disc will travel further than a non-glide disc for the same speed number. But the Core is clearly slower in flight than the Warship, which to me flies pretty close to a Innova Leopard, an agreed upon speed 6.

Agree about the Core.

Pure should have a glide of 4+, not 3. A Pure is a touch more glidey than a Warden or a Judge, not less than. I'd put the Pure at 2/4/-1/1 (and move the Judge and Warden up to speed 3)

Somewhat agree about the Pure. Definitely agree that the Warden should be 3,4,0,(0.5 to 1), and the Judge at 3,4,0,1 might be right. The Marshal already is 3,4,0,1 and the Warden is definitely as glidey as the Marshal.

Some crowd-sourcing to check these numbers before they finalized them would have been warranted before they make a final judgment ;)

Agreed. :thmbup: :popcorn:

WESTSIDE DISCS
Sorcerer | Speed: 13 Glide: 5 Turn: -0.5 Fade: 3
World | Speed: 14 Glide: 4 Turn: -0.5 Fade: 3

So these numbers don't tell anything about stability? I am confused. What is "stability"?

So these numbers don't tell anything about stability? I am confused. What is "stability"?

For Joe's Flight Chart from the good folks at Gotta Go Gotta Throw

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/stability-ratings

High Speed Stability* (HSS) This is measured on a scale from -3 to +2. The HSS value describes the disc's tendencies during the first part of the flight. A negative value indicates the disc has a tendency to turn (to the right for a RHBH throw) during the early flight. The stronger the value, the more pronounced this turn will be. A positive value indicates the disc will tend to fade (to the left for a RHBH throw) almost immediately. Discs with an HSS rating of zero will tend to fly straight during the first part of its flight.

Low Speed Stability* (LSS) This is measured on a scale from 0 to +5. The LSS describes the disc's tendency to fade (to the left for a RHBH throw) during the later part of the flight. The stronger the value, the more pronounced the fade will be. Discs with an LSS rating of 0 will have a tendency to hold the line it is flying on through the later flight with very little fade.

Yeah, the HSS and LSS do a better job of describing the flight than just overstable/understable. In theory a disc with a HSS 0/LSS 0 would be dead-straight stable. A disc with a HSS -2/LSS 2 would do a big 'ol S curve. All things the same they in theory should land on the same line, though. They would just get there in different ways.

Of course the fun with flight numbers is that it never works out that way since discs fly differently in different plastics/different stages of wear and react differently to backhand/forehand, power level, etc. Throw a -2/2 disc into a strong headwind and watch it flip and never come back as you wonder where the LSS went. That sort of stuff makes the whole thing impossible.

Flight numbers are pretty much a fool errand. They are just there to try to sell stuff to you. I wouldn't sweat them too much.

Last edited:
I can see the Core being faster than the Warship. For most people the Warship is going to go farther b/c it has better glide but the Core is beadless and shaped more like a Buzzz whereas the Warship is shaped more like a Roc. Big arms could plausibly pump the Core out farther on lower lines than the Warship. I'd put them both at speed 5 IMO but it's not an egregious error.

Now the Freedom with a fade of 3? The ones I've thrown had .5 fade at best.

Now the Freedom with a fade of 3? The ones I've thrown had .5 fade at best.

I've got two Lucid Freedoms, got them when they first came out. One is about 172g, the other 167g. The 167g Freedom is very flat and overstable; not Firebird overstable, but pretty darn overstable. It's a fade of '3', fer sure.

The 172g is a lot more mellow, but still not what was hyped when they first came out. Maybe a fade of 1.0 to 1.5 or so, depending on wind and such factors.

So the Freedom is all over the map, and that's probably one reason it wasn't a huge success relative to the massive hype they gave us for it...

Beats being the dead worst. (See: Salient.)

Not really, if you are the dead worst, you can't continue being the worst. Trilogy is just terrible, everyday until they go bankrupt.