• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to get a grip on push putting

DiscDumpster

I could really use some advice on the proper grip/ technique for push putting. I watched some of the David Feldberg clinic on YouTube, but still have a hard time understanding what he's actually doing. (video quality is not that great)
I thought it seemed fairly simple, until i tried it. The results are laughable. My disc just kind of wobbles away w/ zero spin and falls like a dead duck (never in the basket). I am assuming my grip is the problem, but not positive.
I searched this forum some, but could not find what I was looking for. Any advice, or a link to a good tutorial would be very helpful and much appreciated. If need be, I could try to put a video together showcasing my failures for a critique.

you are lacking what is referred to as "finger spring" check out some info which is posted around regarding that topic and it should clear up your issues. a clean release will wobble less and allow for more consistent flights.

Grip

Grip is often overlooked when putting but how you hold the disc and its orientation in your hand have significant affects on the trajectory, spin, and repeatability of your putt.

I recommend using a grip that has all 4 fingers under the disc and at least 2 fingers extended out under the flight plate. The grips that fit this bill are the fan grip that has the index finger and pinkey on the rim and the middle and ring fingers under the flight plate or a grip that has only the index finger on the rim and the other 3 fingers under the flight plate. The fingers under the flight plate will give you greater contol over the disc angle as well as increase your "touch" on putts. Thumb placement should somewhat oppose the index finger and whatever is comfortable should work but I recommend avoiding having your thumb too close to the center or edge of the disc. Your grip should be firm but not overly tight and your wrist should be loose enough to sway freely. I do not recommend grips without the index finger under the rim as they often lead to consistency problems with off axis torque and not generating enough rotation to keep the disc flying without wobble.

A good sign that your grip is stable and in a position to get a clean release with maximum control is if you can lift your thumb off the disc and still hold the disc and vary its angle.

The orientation of your grip is also very important in terms of controlling and repeating your putt. I recommend orienting your grip somewhere between 2:30-3:30 on the disc. This is a fairly wrist neutral grip that gives the greatest freedom of angle adjustment and you can make adjustments as you see necessary. Open wrist grips at 4:00 or lower will generate less spin and have a greater nose-down tendencies. Loft putts and hyzer putts are also easier with this grip orientation. Closed wrist grips at 2:00 or higher generate more spin and make it easier to keep the disc level both in hyzer/anhyzer and nose up/down terms. While this may seem advantageous, a closed wrist grip gives the least freedom to adjust angles and is the most difficult to repeat as it requires a very quick motion to get a clean release. If your putting motion is too slow there will be a tendency to pull the disc to the right. For the sake of repeatability and on a basis of strengths and weaknesses, a neutral wrist grip should be the best choice for most players.

Finger Spring

The clean line, finesse, and rotation of this putt are the result of the spring of the fingers off the disc. The spring is actively removing all of the fingers leaving the disc at the same time. This is similar to throwing a dart. A uniform dart throw requires all of the fingers to leave their pressure points at the same time. A clean putt release will have the same requirement. The spin needed to keep the disc flying without wobble is generated by the slight tension of the fingers "popping" off the disc while the disc is being accelerated forward. Your hand should finish fully open. While this may take some practice to perfect, a good release should occur somewhere near the top of the stomach while feeling very clean and the disc will hold a tight line with some rotation and no wobble. The spring of the fingers is one of the most important parts of the putt.

To be a little more explicit, the spring of the fingers is achieved by actively letting go of the disc but making sure that all of your fingers leave the disc at the same time.

The entire range of motion covered before you physically release the disc by actively springing your fingers off the disc will be small. The disc will only cover 12-18" of distance before you release the disc. The entire motion needs to happen very quickly. The compact motion powering the disc is what separates this form from the elongated stroke and slower motion of the long-arm putt.

from the "short-arm" putting article which has different body mechanics but points above are the same-- https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/shortarmputt.shtml

you are lacking what is referred to as "finger spring" check out some info which is posted around regarding that topic and it should clear up your issues. a clean release will wobble less and allow for more consistent flights.

Finger spring....yes. I had the same problem the first couple hundred times I tried feldberg's style. And to be honest, occasionally, I still get a wobble here and there. But when I see my disc pathetically flutter, it acts as a reminder that I need to use the opening of my hand to eject the disc out.

Keep working at it, it will come with more practice. Also, I can't emphasize the importance of a quick hit if you are push putting. Without that it will be hard not to wobble.

Also, my opinion is that Dave tells us to make sure and release the disc so that the stamp is visible, he says that without doing this, you aren't giving it a chance to go in. But....his stinkin hit is so fast that it looks like he is releasing the disc with a downward angle, so it can be confusing when you watch him.

I had the same issues forever! This clip of Cam Todd really helped me solidify it.

5:36 into that video is where it starts. Hope it helps!

Hey, thanks. Some really good info here. "Finger Spring" must be my issue. Heading to the course later this afternoon and plan on having another go at it. (when no one's looking)

Romans 5-8 mentions a good "quick hit". Could you elaborate a bit on exactly what this means? I seem to remember hearing something about that on Feldberg's video maybe.

Thanks again.