• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to learn rollers, need advice on disc selection.

_.-Dut-._

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Was considering just buying a stingray as they seem to do all the types of rollers well, but wanted your opinions first. Would any of these make good rollers? (I already have them in the bag)

All in Champion:
Valkryie
Leopard
Orc

Would any of them be a good fit? Or would I be better off just getting a stingray?

Side note: Would the stingray be a good distance roller?

Champ orc is good for laying it down quick, advise getting S, D, or DX plastic in a stable driver to beat up. Roadrunners, inferno's, spectra's aree popular. Or if you got money, 1st run CE TL

I use a beat up S illusion for rollers. I found out the harder the disc better it is for rollers since it wont get as much bounce

with what you have the leopard would be best. I perfer cheaper plastic for rollers because its easier to maipulate the flight angles and the speed of the flip.

good choice would be a DX valk.

I've had good luck throwing a pretty long roller with a beat up star wraith before.

Also I like the stingray for rollers that have to end right. I can throw it flat with less than full power and get the desired results. Depending on the hole and angle of the turn I will throw this instead of an anhyzer sometimes.

DX Viking.....
They beat in so fast and become GREAT rollers. I have had one in my bag since I started playing and it flips over and rolls for me every time.

My "BUTTER" bh "consistant" roller is a "pretty flippy" valk. It holds for a lil bit and always stands up............. and........... turns over (face down). KEY for me with backhand roller is always stands up. If CUT roller is called for I reach for one of my X Preds. Forehand rollers get one of my X or Z preds.

williethekid said:
Champ orc is good for laying it down quick, advise getting S, D, or DX plastic in a stable driver to beat up. Roadrunners, inferno's, spectra's aree popular. Or if you got money, 1st run CE TL

I've got a 1st run ce tl if you're interested

what about the sidewinder? I hear its good but it only comes in Champ and star plastic.. which would be better?

You are better off learning to roll with DX plastic. Save the candy for air shots.

I think DX Leopards make great rollers.

Once you get good at rolling you can roll just about any disc at which point your selection would hinge on what sort of roller you need for your desired shot ie. distance, cut, standup, finesse, etc.

I'm still very much a novice but one of the things I forced myself to learn was how to throw a roller. On my home course they come in handy. I'm definately not an expert. That being said take my advice for what it is worth.

I've never thrown a Stingray right out of the box as a roller. I did try to use my beat-in Stingray and it was just flipped over way too soon. Trying to get it to hit the ground just right was difficult. It also didn't fly fast enough to eat up enough ground once it rolled.

One of the guys that I play with sometimes throws a great roller. He does some amazing stuff on the ground. I asked his advice when I started to learn to throw rollers. I was trying my Stingray and a Cobra. He told me that he never uses discs with broad or rounded rims...only sharp-edged discs. Whatever his logic was I took his advice.

The first disc that I starting rolling with both distance and consistancy was a DX Beast that had been run over by a car. It never flew correctly after that...did nothing but anhyzer like hell. Once I figured out how to get it to flip just right it rolled great.

Now I use a candy Sidewinder. For whatever reason it seems to just keep rolling after most discs peter out and start to 'corkscrew'.

The only other word of advice I can give that might help is start off by throwing the disc only a short distance before it hits the ground. I've seen much more skilled players throw rollers that start off by flying 200 feet in the air and then rolling. I just don't have the skill to do that.

When I throw mine I don't think they travel more than 40-50 feet before hitting the ground. After that they hopefully roll another 275-300+. I know I've rolled a few over 350 which isn't bad considering I have a rag-arm.

Not sure if any of that will help but good luck. [/i]

if you want to learn rollers meaning you don't currently roll at all, I would suggest getting a Little Flyer Maximizer.

I consider myself a decent roller with decent power but i still use the maximizer when i need a controlled roll or manipulated flight before the roll.

when the maximizer is new you may find it to be a fairly straight or good turnover disc from hyzer.

After it gets beat in (and it doesnt take long) it will roll consistantly from hyzer with some snap. It looses much of its value for anythign in the air, but it is still valuable when you need to get some distance without much room. a little flick of the wrist will send this disc straight for a long while.

Finally, the maximzer will help you with your form as well. Take it out in the field and try to hit hyzer lines with it, its understable nature will quickly reveal any flaws in your form.

roadkill said:
You are better off learning to roll with DX plastic. Save the candy for air shots.

I think DX Leopards make great rollers.

Once you get good at rolling you can roll just about any disc at which point your selection would hinge on what sort of roller you need for your desired shot ie. distance, cut, standup, finesse, etc.

Roadkill. I agree with you 100%

I've had my best backhand rollers with a dx Stingray, but I don't throw backhand rollers much.

I throw forehand rollers much more often, as I find them easier to place the landing and control the cut angle. I use a variety of discs depending on where I want them to end up. Typically, for long hole I use a Champ Starfire and for short rolls I use a Z Wasp.

OMG!

I can not believe anyone has said the most obvious choice for a roller. I almost didn't even look at the thread cause I assumed someone had already said it.

ROADRUNNER, in champion or star plastic. That's what it was made for. Hence the name.

Wow.

I'm stunned.
:)

The Innova Roadrunner is absolutely amazing as a roller.

i'd have to say meh on the rr as a roller

while it is good as a roller
its not as good as a power/distance roller as a beat base line driver: dx valk, dx orc, beat xl/xs etc

and its not as good of a control roller as a beat slower disc like a stingray, cobra, maximizer, leopard, gazelle etc

but
as an out of the bag straight roller
the rr is ok