• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to learn rollers, need advice on disc selection.

Things must roll different outside CO. I watched a local here who averages 480 on his normal drives launch this roller about 275ish before it landed and took off and parked it on a close to 600ft hole.
It was pretty controlled.

I like beat dx discs for rolling as well as the roadrunner. The RR is good because it will go along way on a fairly steep angle before it stands up, this made it a good learning disc for me because I had a tendancy to pull the disc out right often. The RR would track left a long way and still stand up and end straight ahead on this type of shot. Beat DX discs are nice for rolling too and I have a DX Valk that will roll very straight and long.

fritz:

the roadrunner does not have the same roll characteristics as basically any other disc on the market.

I don't throw many rollers, because few of the courses in the UK call for it, but I always thought a beaten Roc was supposed to be money for them, am I wrong?

The only time I really bust out the roller is for something controlled and shortish, and for that shot I prefer a midrange (Roc would work, but I'm normally reaching for an Element). Personally, I think you've got to force a mid down on it's edge more than a flippy driver, and get it down quick. You don't have to throw it super hard, and the weight and large diameter seem to roll for days. But I'm not the best person to give roller advice, since my roller is "below average." :).

A heavy dx stingray is my choice. A beat up stratus is also a good one and I've never gone wrong with a DX leopard. New they're stright, used they turn more, beaten they hyzer flip great and and are easy to roll at the end of their life.

Dut said:
Was considering just buying a stingray as they seem to do all the types of rollers well, but wanted your opinions first. Would any of these make good rollers? (I already have them in the bag)

All in Champion:
Valkryie
Leopard
Orc

Would any of them be a good fit? Or would I be better off just getting a stingray?

Side note: Would the stingray be a good distance roller?

Right or Wrong I purchased a Sidewinder. Already had some nice tosses on the practice field, and beyond that its a nice disc airborn. Only got it today so dont have a ton of experience with it but first impression is that its a good choice.

174 Champ Sidewinder

I throw rollers with a real beat up TL but I don't really have to throw rollers that often. TLs are great discs because they start out straight, then get good and flippy and then finally end up as pimp rollers.

dut:

you will find the sidewinder is rather craptastic as a roller as you get better at rollers since it pans topside way too quickly if you have any gas on it.

fritz:

my earlier comment was mainly focused at why you should not learn how to roll with a roadrunner. you are best off learning how every other disc on the market will behave as a roller and then messing around with a roadrunner, as it shares none of their characteristics when it comes to rolling (and it will only take rolling 2-3 regular discs to understand what the ground behavior is "supposed" to be).

it will only take rolling 2-3 regular discs to understand what the ground behavior is "supposed" to be

OK, I kind of get it, but I don't fully get it. Are there any particular qualities of a disc, like rim shape or stability, that determine its ground behavior? For example, if I throw a forehand roller are there certain types of discs that are more likely to turn left, go straight, or turn right? Or will they all turn left and flop over onto their tops, just at different distances? My roller throws aren't consistent enough for me to always be able to tell whether it's the throw or the disc that is causing some differences in behavior.

Blake_T said:
dut:

you will find the sidewinder is rather craptastic as a roller as you get better at rollers since it pans topside way too quickly if you have any gas on it.

:( :cry:

OK, I kind of get it, but I don't fully get it. Are there any particular qualities of a disc, like rim shape or stability, that determine its ground behavior? For example, if I throw a forehand roller are there certain types of discs that are more likely to turn left, go straight, or turn right? Or will they all turn left and flop over onto their tops, just at different distances? My roller throws aren't consistent enough for me to always be able to tell whether it's the throw or the disc that is causing some differences in behavior.

think of it this way:

standing a disc up while rolling = high speed stability
how hard the disc banks to the right = low speed overstability (harder bank = less low speed overstable)

a champ firebird or z pred = very hard to stand up, and very hard to turn topside... however, if it does turn topside it will have a very gradual bank right.

a maximizer = very easy to stand up, very easy to flip topside, if it turns topside it will bank hard right and flop.

every disc has a speed range where it will stay vertical without wanting to pan or cut.

I like to use a beat 150 leopard or a beat stingray for my short, controlled rollers. For distance and sky rollers, I use a beat 163 pro orc. I played with that orc for about a year until it was too flippy to throw, but its a great roller now. i realize they are discontinued but I assume any beat/flippy distance disc would make a good roller

Has anyone tried a Kite for rollers? I just aquired one and all its doing is collecting dust. I might actually try and use it to learn a roller with...

Latest posts