• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TRYING TO UNDERSTAND DISC FLIGHT

swellerdiscgolf

Birdie Member
I NORMALY THROW SIDEARM, BUT JUST NOW HAVE FIGURED OUT BACKHAND ENOUGH TO LEVEL IT OUT AND GET DISTANCE. THE DISCS I USE ARE THUS: SIDEARM: STAR DESTROYER 174, AND BACKHAND STAR TL 167. PROBLEMS ARE THUS: AFTER THROWING BACKHAND FOR A COUPLE OF THROWS, I LINE UP TO THROW SIDEARM (FOR DISTANCE OR RIGHT HAND CURVED HOLE) AND SOME OF THE TIME DRILL THE DESTROYER INTO THE GROUND ABOUT 75' IN FRONT OF ME. WHY??????

ALSO I'VE TRIED THROWING MY CHAMP SIDEWINDER 175 SIDEARM AND IT TURNS OVER ON ITS LEFT SIDE AND JUST ROLLS ACROSS THE FAIRWAY LEFT TO RIGHT. MY 150 CLASS DX LEOPARD DOES THE SAME THING. I'VE TRIED MY FRIENDS CHAMP WRAITH 168 BOTH SIDEARM AND BACKHAND, SIDEARM ACTS LIKE MY SIDEWINDER BUT NOT AS BAD AND DOESN'T GO VERY FAR, WHEN I THROW IT BACKHAND IT JUST GOES TO THE LEFT ALOT. (MY DESTROYER GOES PRETTY STRAIGHT BACKHAND BIT DOES FADE AT THE END ALOT TO THE LEFT SO I ONLY USE IT ON HOLES THAT NEED A BIG HYZER AT THE END.)

IS ALL THIS FROM PLASTIC, WEIGHT, OFF-AXIS TORQUE, OR JUST PLAIN OFF-THE-WALL BAD FORM. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

im not going to claim to be an expert but it appears that you have a decent amount of torque in your throw esp with the destroyer but not all discs can stand up to the amount of torque a destroyer can because it is overstable. on the opposite end of the spectrum is the sidewinder, a very understable disc that will not be able to withstand the same amount of torque as an overstable discs therefore, this is why it your throws with the sidewinder are turning into rollers.
ive found it helpful to have the innova flight chart imbedded into my head so i know where on the spectrum a disc is and how it will react.

does that help?

I have had the same thing happen to me. I used to throw all side arm, but recently switched to backhand for consistency. I figured out that I have to consciously slow my arm speed down when I throw side arm to keep the discs from turning over. I think it stems from not getting the same amount of snap that you do when you throw sidearm all the time.

I have had the same thing happen to me. I used to throw all side arm, but recently switched to backhand for consistency. I figured out that I have to consciously slow my arm speed down when I throw side arm to keep the discs from turning over. I think it stems from not getting the same amount of snap that you do when you throw sidearm all the time.

Ditto here as well.

I basically had to re-learn sidearm after forcing myself to develop a backhand. I agree that you have to conciously slow your arm down and make sure to keep your elbow from flailing out too far. Really focus on placing more of an emphasis on generating speed from your wrist flick when you throw. I will actually go through phases where I am throwing with better distance/accuracy with sidearm over backhand when I hit the course. The problem is that the form required to get a decent sidearm shot easily deteriorates for me if I fail to stick to the basics. I can only hope that someday it all just happens naturally without much conscious effort

Keep at it.

Sidearm

I have found that backhand throws are generally more forgiving than sidearm, meaning the slightest mistake in a sidearm motion will send the disc in a completely different direction then the one you intended, whereas a backhand throw will not be as far off. I'm not saying it will be where you wanted it, but I've made mistakes with my sidearm on holes that dogleg right and ended up throwing them off to the left. If I made the same mistake throwing backhand (dogleg left hole this time) it would probably go straight instead of off to the right.

So I have to agree that I need to be more concious of the way I am throwing the sidearm when I do.

^^^hahaha Sounds like if you're throwing over-stable discs side arm,you may just want to lower that wing a bit,just a couple of degrees when it leaves your palm.