• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Underrated discs

ALPO

Par Member
With so many options in discs its very hard to throw them all. Especially since they fly differently once broken in.

My questions is pretty basic; what disc that doesn't get a ton of love by the masses gets plenty of use in your rounds?

For me I would say the Trident. I don't hear of alot of people that use this disc yet it's my quintessential driver for 300 and shorter holes. What I'm really looking for is a disc and a description of why you use it versus another more popular disc. For example, I used to throw Orcs all the time, I thought it was a great disc, but it never gets a ton of love. Unfortunately, when i threw Orcs I knew very little about disc golf, so I don't know it's real purpose or utility if you will.

A second disc that is still in my opinion completely underrated is the Zone. A ton of people throw the zone, but to me its still underrated because its use is immense! Total game changer and I can't understand why its not in everyone's bag.

Just to add...a ton of local players around here throw the Flying Squirrel and the Gateway Scout. But why?! I don't know. Seems like maybe I'm more fascinated with relatively obscure used discs.

LOL of course, as i was typing that you responded FLying Squirrel? Why does that disc work for you? Why do you reach for that instead of a Roc or Buzzz for example?

Innova Beast. I used to throw it as my main driver, and it's still the farthest-flying thing I own.

Innova-
Gazelle
Spider
Mako

Gateway-
Blaze
Sabre
Apache

Vibram-
All of them. More people should throw them! :p

LOL of course, as i was typing that you responded FLying Squirrel? Why does that disc work for you? Why do you reach for that instead of a Roc or Buzzz for example?

Little to no effort involved with throwing one. Doesn't take a ton of snap, don't need a big arm. With a hyzer flip it stays low and straight, thrown flat, it slowly drops off to the right. It was awesome when I was learning backhand and getting my flick back.

My fiancee uses a couple flying squirrels, great controllable midrange for players wiht a little less power.

I think the River is an underrated disc in that many people don't give it a fair chance. Lots of people hear how great they are from those of us that throw them, then try them only to give one about a round worth of messing around. It's a tough disc to learn but an amazing disc to have in your bag if you can pin it down.

Surge SS. Everyone considers them garbage but I could flick them for days.

....A second disc that is still in my opinion completely underrated is the Zone. A ton of people throw the zone, but to me its still underrated because its use is immense! Total game changer and I can't understand why its not in everyone's bag.

I like the idea of the thread, but respectfully disagree with this statement.

The Zone's one of those discs that's hard to be "on the fence" about. Either you like 'em or you don't. They're a relatively popular mold, and a good segment of the crowd likes them, but many of us simply don't like that much overstability in a putter. It's really all about preference, but I wouldn't say it is "underrated" - it gets a lot of praise from the not insignificant # of players who throw them, but it's simply not a disc for the masses.

That being said, Almost any unpopular mold could be considered underrated by someone who regularly throws and likes it. In their eyes, they can't understand why that mold isn't as popular as a Valk, or a Wizard.

Thought this had been already been covered, but what the heck. It's a fun topic.
Shark- A lot of the times it's overlooked because it usually appears as a DX 150 class in the beginner sets and because it is hidden in the shadows of the Rocs and Buzzzes of the incredibly deep lineup of stable midranges available. The roc never really clicked for me, but the Shark has the right amount of stability. It's unfortunate that the Pro and Champion versions are OOP, as those two are my favorite.

Warlock- From my personal experience it is the least popular of the 4 Gateway putters available. Profile and feel wise it is nearly identical to the Aviar PnA, but the Warlock is a tick more stable. I love the variety of plastics Gateway offers. My go-to in the circle putter.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68772&highlight=underrated
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42505&highlight=underrated
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6063&highlight=underrated

The Gateway Slayer, not alot of hype but a great distance driver, perfect flippy compliment to a Destroyer, I have one of the First Run Evo's and love it. Throw in the Samurai, the newer mids, and those new flat candy Apache's they have really gotten a more balanced product line now.

I don't see a lot of people throwing the Discraft Z Hornet. This disc has brought so much consistency to my game. It is overstable and very comfortable in my hand. It is made of a slightly less durable version of Z plastic that is also more grippy. I have been beating it up hard in the woods and it still very stable.

SL: Easy to control, not to fast, and some easy distance.

180g DX Shark. So controlable for every midrange shot.