• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Disc collecting

Some guy wanted 2 Stimpaks and a Stealth Boy for their Echo Star Destroyer, I said you'll get 15 bottle caps and that should be OK, but for some reason the Desert Rangers sided with them.

I wish DCGR had a stronger reaction than like for this comment.

I will gladly pay 3-4X stock value for certainty. Given the flight and feel differences which come with mold variations I'd rather redeem the time and pay more for a disc that will perform as expected. Flight consistency flaunted by xyz manufacturer is a marketing gimmick; we are all on our own and the market for certain disc values are reflective of this. There are practical reasons why certain molds, of certain colors, released during certain periods are worth more.

But also... I'm a sucker for a pretty disc and will pay more for something I enjoy looking at. If the stamp is bangarang on top of natural beauty, its game over for me.

Personally I'm miffed that my stock of old patent pending OOP MVP stuff isn't worth more.... all these collectors scrambling for the new ones, that there are a 1000 more of. I've tried dumping some of my stuff for different charity fundraisers and it's been disappointing.

Proto time lapses for starters, $100 for something that has a stock run semi available. It reminds me of everyone getting on the baseball/hockey card train in the 90s. I think I can sell my unopened boxes for the same as I bought it for, with 3 decades of inflation I'm losing haha.

I have my limit for SE discs and it's right around $45 CAD or an hours wages. (What I recently spent on a full glow glitch to throw). I picked up a OOP plasma tangent for $25 last month, I felt like that should have been 45-50 bucks but i wouldnt have paid more than 30. It seems like the max median pricing for nice stuff in the US is about 30-40. With the exception of things that are bonkers, like the right run of destroyers.
It's because mvp collectors are redditors.

Supply and Demand.

You could buy any disc that you want. But given you want to use the same disc as you did 20 years ago, much like a lot of others, expect to pay for it.

I bought a disc last week for 3.99
I've never seen any disc new for $3.99

I will gladly pay 3-4X stock value for certainty. Given the flight and feel differences which come with mold variations I'd rather redeem the time and pay more for a disc that will perform as expected. Flight consistency flaunted by xyz manufacturer is a marketing gimmick; we are all on our own and the market for certain disc values are reflective of this. There are practical reasons why certain molds, of certain colors, released during certain periods are worth more.

But also... I'm a sucker for a pretty disc and will pay more for something I enjoy looking at. If the stamp is bangarang on top of natural beauty, its game over for me.
So then we turn disc golf into a snob sport like ball golf where it's too expensive for the average person. The whole point of disc golf is that it's for everyone, not just rich people that are fine dropping $40 everytime they lose a disc.

It's still REALLY easy (sort of) to find the kind of old stuff that is actually widely available. IF YOU know where to look. But, if you want the great feeling plastic from the past in what is being made now. Lol. Go to a disc swap, and chat, and get them.
Don't know where to look and never heard of a disc swap. I'm 40, married, and have kids and therefore don't get out much ti even know about that

So then we turn disc golf into a snob sport like ball golf where it's too expensive for the average person. The whole point of disc golf is that it's for everyone, not just rich people that are fine dropping $40 everytime they lose a disc.
I think you are missing the point: If you want to start playing guitar as a beginner you can buy one for under $100 and keep using that or buying cheaper instruments for as long as you want. But later when you know what you want and you start geeking out you then have the opportunity to buy that $2k Martin in the window. Disc golf has reached a status where it serves both those who are are on a budget and those with finer tastes, as odd as that sounds.

Is this specifically about the Echo Star Destroyer and it's price on the secondary market? Or is this a generalization about all discs being too expensive, kinda lost at the point here. Specifically the Echo Star Destroyer, they can be bought directly from the Innova website at this very moment for under $20.

I think you are missing the point: If you want to start playing guitar as a beginner you can buy one for under $100 and keep using that or buying cheaper instruments for as long as you want. But later when you know what you want and you start geeking out you then have the opportunity to buy that $2k Martin in the window. Disc golf has reached a status where it serves both those who are are on a budget and those with finer tastes, as odd as that sounds.

All of that doesn't effect ones score on the course. Buying more expensive disc doesn't make one play better. A piece of plastic is not a handmade guitar.

All of that doesn't effect ones score on the course. Buying more expensive disc doesn't make one play better. A piece of plastic is not a handmade guitar.
You are right, buying expensive discs wont make you a better player... but confidence does. ;)

I have some unusual discs in my bag and Collection, I use and have multiple backups of the Discraft Impact a 172--173 grams or 173-174 as 175 on up fly like putters and under 168 grams at 167 grams or lighter have winds 20 mph or more carry the disc. I have in collection a Discraft X-Xtreame in Pro-D from an uncle who played Can-Am in Rochester stop in 2001 as well as a 2009 Icebowl KC Pro Roc full color as most valuable discs. Impact have gone down in value from peak due to Paul McBeth using an Impact in 2019 after injury as people forgot this selling for $33--$45 but the max weight and 175-176 gram hold a higher value at $50--$60 last I looked with some max weight or very light weight discs going for low prices of nearly an ESP disc still in production. Last I looked in 2022 the KC Pro Roc from 2009 Ice Bowl was selling for $65--75 some high as $90--$110 depending on if stamp was clear or a fussy colors barely outside line one, as clear held better value up to $75 for almost never thrown/never thrown and weight as some Max weight of this Roc can sell for a stupid high price if clear and 100% never thrown or touched skin ever by owner.

I have some unusual discs in my bag and Collection, I use and have multiple backups of the Discraft Impact a 172--173 grams or 173-174 as 175 on up fly like putters and under 168 grams at 167 grams or lighter have winds 20 mph or more carry the disc. I have in collection a Discraft X-Xtreame in Pro-D from an uncle who played Can-Am in Rochester stop in 2001 as well as a 2009 Icebowl KC Pro Roc full color as most valuable discs. Impact have gone down in value from peak due to Paul McBeth using an Impact in 2019 after injury as people forgot this selling for $33--$45 but the max weight and 175-176 gram hold a higher value at $50--$60 last I looked with some max weight or very light weight discs going for low prices of nearly an ESP disc still in production. Last I looked in 2022 the KC Pro Roc from 2009 Ice Bowl was selling for $65--75 some high as $90--$110 depending on if stamp was clear or a fussy colors barely outside line one, as clear held better value up to $75 for almost never thrown/never thrown and weight as some Max weight of this Roc can sell for a stupid high price if clear and 100% never thrown or touched skin ever by owner.
And he is back!

Casey,
many have missed your posts and stories.

This is like collector cars. Just because you've been driving a Old's 88 for 20+ years, doesn't mean the rest of the world should continue to support it without a price increase.

I get liking destroyers. Lots of people throw lots of things like destroyers and make the transition just fine.

Sounds like, less about collecting and more about resistance to change.