• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Understable complement to Comet

Throw a Neutral/Slight US putter harder.
If I am at range where I cant throw a beat up Roc hard enough to get turn all the way to the ground, I will throw a putter a little harder and higher.

Example: 220 feet, and powering off my beatestest Roc will have it fly too straight, I will crank a bit harder on either my straight or US Wizard and give it some heighthththth. It'll turn to the ground.

Throw a Neutral/Slight US putter harder.
If I am at range where I cant throw a beat up Roc hard enough to get turn all the way to the ground, I will throw a putter a little harder and higher.

Example: 220 feet, and powering off my beatestest Roc will have it fly too straight, I will crank a bit harder on either my straight or US Wizard and give it some heighthththth. It'll turn to the ground.

My experience is most mids that are understable, but still controllable, won't turn until a good 250+ throw. Putters with that slow turn are very useful because they should always show at least a touch of turn with normal throwing form.

My experience is most mids that are understable, but still controllable, won't turn until a good 250+ throw. Putters with that slow turn are very useful because they should always show at least a touch of turn with normal throwing form.

My most US Rocs will definitely show turn on 200' shots, or less. But they might not want to hold that turn all the way to the end of their flight at that power.

So a putter handles it, like you said.

My most US Rocs will definitely show turn on 200' shots, or less. But they might not want to hold that turn all the way to the end of their flight at that power.

So a putter handles it, like you said.

So I finally clicked on the pic in your bio, never could really make it out....You sir, are a bit twisted.

Last edited:
The answer is a QMS, at least for me. Throw it hard and flat at watch it spin right. The QMS does not fade like my comet does eventually.

I'm a noodle arm, I can't get turn out of a 170g X Comet at around 220-235 ft. If I really rip in it I can see maybe some turn, but I don't like to really rip on it because I'm only throwing it when accuracy is required.

It holds a line to the ground, but sometimes I want a disc that can turn a bit.
A slower Comet is an APX/Reef. I think even Three Putt would agree with me on that. At your distances you're probably going to be happier with putter/lid type discs. APX, Polecat, X Putt'R, Rattler, Spin, Aero, etc.
It's the Axiom Theory or MVP Vertex.
I've only thrown a watermelon Proton Theory (which I love) but it's more stable than a X Comet for sure. Maybe lighter weights/different plastics will work though, I'll yield to the Theory experts. Vertex sounds like a candidate.
I can't, not recommend a Fuse. Again, I'd go lighter and/or recycled plastic to make sure it's right of an X Comet on the stability chart.
I've never thrown a Tursas but think it might work. Maybe an MVP Spin?
Really similar to Fuse territory. Feels a bit more like a Comet than a Fuse does IMO but like the Fuse OP will want to go really light to avoid overlap.

For the sake of conversation, the first disc that came to mind after I read the title was a Flying Squirrel but I'm pretty sure it's OOP.

Polecat is a good one to bag.. The Spin would work too I think.

Tursas is too stable on the fade, it will turn over easier than a Comet but tends to fight back a bit better too. It's like a nice ESP Comet on the front end and a Z Comet for fade. It's a damn nice disc though.

I have a couple Tursas and I agree with ThrowaEnvy, they turn easily but fight back, bought the second one because I wasn't sure if my first one was weird for doing that, where a Comet will hold it all the way unless you purposely turn it with nose up then you can get it to S but that's an odd shot with them.

If you're going to go down to a putter type disc for what you're looking for then the Swan 1 reborn is pretty nice for an understable slot, I bag one for jump puts and goofy up shots that you want to hold the turn, even hyzer flip them to the "walk" right shots.

Last edited:
I've only thrown a watermelon Proton Theory (which I love) but it's more stable than a X Comet for sure. Maybe lighter weights/different plastics will work though, I'll yield to the Theory experts. Vertex sounds like a candidate.

Yeah, not all are truly US at first, especially the heavy ones. My first was a lighter Neutron. It's US even at low speeds. Almost exactly like my Vertex.

I think you should find an ace race... This year's disc sounds like it meets your demands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a good understable complement to a Comet? Criteria:

1. Slow with controllable turn, not very speed sensitive
2. Doesn't fade out much at the end

And don't say beat Comet, I'm looking for something out of the box.

Slow, controllable turn, not speed sensitive, little ending fade = Star Mirage. Perfect complement to a more stable comet right out of the box. As stated articulately in this thread, most mids flippier than a comet off the shelf have to be really leaned on to see a reliable, controllable turn, and are in fact quite speed sensitive. I'd be recommending a proton spin if the mirage didn't exist - similar flight, just more on the putter side of things than the slow mid side.

If you would prefer a mid, I find that a D Stratus pairs decently with Comets thanks to the shape. I never found them excessively fast, and they do turn when fresh... but you are throwing D plastic, meh. DX Stingray is probably the better disc, but much more drivery than middy I think.

Fuse is too fast and speed sensitive, but I imagine one in recycled line or cheaper would do OK, ideally in mid 170s.

The only other question marks for me that I haven't tried but would not mind doing so include the warrant, which is apparently more flippy than the tursas and I would imagine could be less speed sensitive. Also, smaller rimmed gyro mids like the tangent or whatever else from axiom. I tried the Vertex, nothing wrong with it, but not as flippy as I expected based on the wing shape.

Doesn't worry about the brand? Prodigy 400G M4. Workable understability for a range of arm speeds, but not flippy. Gentle fade at the end of flight, ending back at flat if released flat, but significantly to the right (RHBH)

I cannot find any other disc that will replace my M4s.