• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable Driver Suggestions

No driver is going to fly like a stratus, not at that power level.

pro

Anything in pro plastic. Very understable until beaten in because of the crap plastic. You get a piece of pro beaten in, you can throw it with 80 degrees of hyzer and it won't turn, it will just flip and burn. But very useful until then.

No driver is going to fly like a stratus, not at that power level.

I agree. Although I still think the Avenger SS is close and a much faster but still managable rim thickness. I wouldn't have put a Rampage on my list but hey that's the beauty of many opinions. :thmbup:

If you've got small hands and looking for a light weight I would try the Diamond Light by Lat64. It's easy as hell to thrown and should fit in your hands nicely. The River, as mentioned, is a great discs as well. I recently picked up the Mamba from Innova and am loving it. It's speed 11 though so might be to fast for you.

If you've got small hands and looking for a light weight I would try the Diamond Light by Lat64. It's easy as hell to thrown and should fit in your hands nicely. The River, as mentioned, is a great discs as well. I recently picked up the Mamba from Innova and am loving it. It's speed 11 though so might be to fast for you.

Diamond= a great choice.
Girls who throw fifty ft will throw 100 ft with this disc.

Diamond= a great choice.
Girls who throw fifty ft will throw 100 ft with this disc.

It's not just for women. I've been throwing my wife's back-up 158 Diamond and am LOVING it. I can throw it with ease is and it just flies...forever.

I would say a River for your fairway driver and a Bolt for your long distance driver, but if you are only
throwing the stratus 250 ft. then I would stick with discs in that speed range until you can get them consistently around 300 ft. Try out a Comet or a Stingray, both are great understable mids

Last edited:
If you have a driver that feels good in your hand, try going with a lighter weight. You can get most drivers in the mid 160g range, and a bunch in 150 class. Lighter = more understable.

I really love my Vibram Trak for an stable to understable mid-range. It will handle any power I want and hit any line I ask of it. Also, it has a nice small rim and seems to be nearly indestructible.

If you want something under the radar you could try a Daredevil Discs Timberwolf.
They come in a great, grippy plastic, too.
I love 'um!

dx wedge for a putter/mid tweener disc

dx stingrays for a midrange

dx leopards for a driver

once you get more experienced try a sidewinder or roadrunner. in star plastic. great discs.

and the only understable discraft driver i've thrown is the express(?) in X plastic.

I'm not sure how your throwing technique is but I just threw a Bolt for the first time yesterday and all I can say is wow...for a wide rimmed driver that thing is flippy as hell.....I put a little hyzer on that thing and it flipped and soared like a mother @$%&#$. That thing is dangerous in the hands of someone with some serious D capabilities. My first throw with it and I got it out to 370. Not a bad disc. If you like those wide rimmed drivers this is very easy to flip and have it go a decent distance.

dx wedge for a putter/mid tweener disc

dx stingrays for a midrange

dx leopards for a driver

once you get more experienced try a sidewinder or roadrunner. in star plastic. great discs.

and the only understable discraft driver i've thrown is the express(?) in X plastic.

DX??? heck no! i've had 3 DX discs break easily on me, cracked and chipped the hell out of them. The only non DX disc is my JK Pro Aviar putter. the rest is all Champion innova then my Eilte X Stratus

I think his point was try the DX's first because...A.) They break in fast so you'll know rather quickly if it's a good mold for you and B.) they're cheap so if you don't like them you can just pass them along. DX serves a purpose, albeit a limited one.

I think his point was try the DX's first because...A.) They break in fast so you'll know rather quickly if it's a good mold for you and B.) they're cheap so if you don't like them you can just pass them along. DX serves a purpose, albeit a limited one.

I work for an innova dealer, so cost hasn't been an issue, and I haven't found a disc I haven't loved.. except the wahoo and dragon, the floating plastics are horrible... in my opinion

I love my valky, but whenever i throw it backhand, i seem to throw with a hyzer, i can't get it to release straight/anny at all.

This likely means you do not have the arm speed during the pull-through or the snap during the release. You have to make the disc spin faster. Either that or you are just releasing on a hyzer angle to begin with.

As a long-time, dedicated Stratus thrower (I carry 4 in my bag), there really is nothing like it.
For feel and rim thickness and flight, the Stingray is closest.
For rim thickness, QMS is a good choice because it uses the Stingray rim, as does the Sentinel, but they are a good bit more overstable than the Stingray or Stratus.
I also use the Wedge for shorter distances, but it will go farther than you think if thrown correctly...
To go longer, I use the Polaris, Cheetah and QJLS.
Leopards and Cyclones are also good choices.

This likely means you do not have the arm speed during the pull-through or the snap during the release. You have to make the disc spin faster. Either that or you are just releasing on a hyzer angle to begin with.

i'd have to go with the snap on release then, because I throw my mids and stratus flat using the same form that I use for the Valkyrie, dunno, i'll look into it

Latest posts