• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unexpected Driving Distance Question

Sidewinder is anything I said wrong?
Not bad. Hard to see from that angle, but it looks like he opens his front foot before actually planting, or screwing the heel backward and spinning open on the way down.

I didn't read all the posts, but I would agree with the oat thing also. You are not going to over power anything (driver wise) into a turn over under 300 ft. You might see a decent amount of turn at 300 with under stable stuff, but shouldn't turn and burn. I went through that phase about a year ago my self. Really thought I was getting some power cause stuff was starting to "turn over " on me and time for more stable stuff....... But more stable stuff wasn't going any further? I still suffer from oat when going for distance, but can throw under stable stuff into 350 ish with out "turning them over". I get 350 out of a maximizer , and it's pretty under stable. Working to get your mids to , or as close as you can, to the 300 ft mark will help you clean up your form. X comet, (not over 170g)if hasn't been suggested. And video, eventually you'll catch that abnormal bomb and compare that footage to your average throws to try and find the little things that add up to a better throw.

Swinging off plane/OAT and coming down over top the disc. Your shoulders and spine should finish on the yellow lines which would be on plane to the disc for hyzer. Also you are leaning back and forth instead of turning back and forth upright and balanced, and rounding your pull instead of keeping it straight or wide.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I watched that one several times and thought I could see I wasn't rotating my hips or shifting my weight forward enough. Was comparing to Shusterick's recent video of practicing inside. I have to get my timing right between stepping forward, planting as I bring the disc forward, rotating hips and front foot as I "hit" the throw, and continue follow through.

On the hyzer angle issue . . . I've been trying (right now) to throw as flat as possible on both planes (release parallel to the ground and not too much "nose up" angle). At least while I work on the other mechanics. Because I spent my first 10 or so years with a wonky "run up," I've pared the X-step down to just a one step. I square myself so my shoulders are pointed in the direction I want to throw (holding the disc out straight to confirm). My feet are nearly side-by-side at 90 degrees. My GOAL is to step with the front foot and plant/rotate as described above. I wanted to start down the road of driving correctly in a way I could develop that while improving my accuracy. Which is much improved.

I figured once I mastered that part of the technique, I'd work up to the X-step and hyzer release. (When I went straight from what I WAS doing to trying an X-step, things blended together and my hips were super-open and I was over-stepping with the final step, and the disc was going 30 degrees more right than I wanted.)

Latest posts