• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UPDATED Okthrowberfest Poll (Fixing my mistakes)

What are your favorite dyes? (Please limit it to your top 3)

• All Hallow’s Eve - Jermy

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Carrie - Pduclo

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • Clown – RickyBobby

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • DGCR Headless Horseman - BennettUA

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • Flying Spiders - Moon

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Graveyard - Cheep

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Headless Horseman 2 - Yawpstrang64

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • St. Okthrowerberfest Girl – skinner21

Votes: 36 20.9%
  • Predator - Elderberen

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Pumkin Chains - bhuff

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Pumkinhead - Philman

Votes: 64 37.2%
  • Reaper - Yawpstrang64

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Rip the Ripper - Philman

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Scary Night - Cheep

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Skull on a Glow - Matrathvy

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Star Max - MrFixit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Teenage Outcast - Agent Peebody

Votes: 42 24.4%
  • The Three Spookies - Smd030

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Unicorn - Pduclo

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • Vampire Smilie - MrFixit

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Vampire Teeth – Moon

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Zombie Pinup - Jabanger

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Skinner if someone did what you said at christmas (straight copied a coke ad) I'd call them on it as well. Unless the contest was who can make the best dye in terms of difficulty. Cause I know the Powell Perralta logo was crazy hard and is super well done. And in that case I would totally vote for it.

Like I said I thought these were going to be original artworks, and the rip the ripper isn't that. Given that others didn't see it that way I will go back to lurking and admiring the talents of all the people who put one in.

Also, do people really think that all of the images used are original peices of artwork? because they're not.

That's what I would expect. I didn't know AP's was Rob Zombie's, and yours was your own rendition. It's just things that change people's voting depending on what they are expecting. It's like a cover of a song in comparison to an original song.

Do orchestras get knocked for using Mozart? No, they get judged on how well they can recreate great peices.

I can understand somewhat of what you guys are saying, but a vast majority of people didn't even know that was a logo. If I had randomly come across that image in the internet, I would have considered using it. I don't know if I would have because of how hard it is, but that to me screams halloween.

But painters would get knocked for copying the mona lisa on a different medium with no changes. When the contest specifcally stated original ideas.

I guess "original interpretation" is too vaugue. I just took it from last year's post. I took it to mean that you should do a dye that you haven't seen on disc before and it should be whatever you think Okthowberfest means, not just original artwork, though oringal artwork is encouraged.

To me, the challenge of the artwork isn't drawing and creating the image, per se, but being able to put that image on plastic.

Well, when it comes right down to it, all of these entries deserve some major props. The talent displayed here is impressive to say the least.

My top four choices were:

DGCR Headless Horseman - This is a top pick for so many reasons. DGCR tied in with the Halloween theme, presentation/layout is superb; the pumpkin head looks like it's moving as you're looking at it, excellent choice of colors and their application fits the mood or atmosphere of the Sleepy Hollow tale.

Flying Spiders - This design is highly underrated in the poll. The design/concept is original. This design is classic Halloween creepiness at its finest. Many techniques appeared to have been employed for this design. The backdrop of the moon is just phenomenal and the use of multiple gradient colors for the horizon are superb. It would be easy for anyone to judge this as a "simple" design, but therein lies the beauty of the artistic talent behind this jewel. The techniques, time and processes used to create this design are so well done that the viewer is fooled into looking at this as simple. This example proves the old adage that sometimes less is more.

Pumpkinhead: Very cool Halloween design. It's as simple as that. While not as complicated per se as some of the other entries (I'm not saying this design was easy), the ingenious idea of using glo plastic for the medium just makes this design come alive. Who wouldn't want to throw this bad boy during a late night October glo round?

Teenage Outcast: While the design might not be original, you really have to appreciate the amount of time that must have gone into making this. More than anything I really would like to know how much sleep was lost and how much time away from the course, significant other, job, and the sacrifice to personal hygiene that was devoted to producing this beautiful freak. I think this is what I would look like after completing this disc. I have a real weakness for multicolor dyes, especially with the amount of shading that was used to create the grotesque textures of this poor zombies flesh. The colors just pop! Excellent execution here. This dyer has perfected this craft.

Maybe this years Okthrowberfest offers up some lessons learned for next years event. Personally, I think it would be great to have different categories for people to submit their entries. Just looking at my top picks shows how each one could fit into a separate category. Let's say something like this: Original Art, Interpretive, Themed (DGCR, Halloween, beer, seasonal, etc), Advertising/Logos. Those are just a few examples right off the top of my head. Each category would have a top finisher and then there could even be an overall top three among the top place finishers of each category.

Just something to think about.

Anyway, nice work everyone! Having all of these entries to drool over certainly made this Okthrowberfest a resounding success. Thanks to all of you for sharing your creative talents for all the disc golf world to see. :clap:

I also wanted to mention that the use of bleeding on the spider webs of Zombie Pinup... by far and away my favorite design technique. Purposely employing what is normally a "flaw" in a design... :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup: It's amazing how the bleeding on the spider web enhances the gossamer effect of the threads.

I never thought I would hear myself, that sure is a sexy zombie. :)

Mine was definitely not entirely original, I didn't create the silhouette at all... but, the background (the main catch of the disc) was entirely my doing, even the moon :) I think that makes it an original design, as there is no other artwork anywhere that is exactly like it.

also, how do i drop from 3rd to like 8th when more votes are allowed?? seems kinda backwards! lol, although, i honestly (my voting reflects this) think that the dyes that are ahead of mine deserve to be there as I spent minimal time on mine o_O

disc chucker nailed some great points! I looked into all that when narrowing down my 3 picks. I just want to say though that jason, freddy, michael, the headless horseman, none of them are original character ideas so by complete logic all incorporating these characters should be disqualified. :\ right?:confused:

Deadbody I have no beef with you man, and I'm not trying to start anything, but you need to chill out on this. It's not an artwork contest in the first place - it's a disc dyeing competition, the execution of the dye is equally if not more important than the idea behind it.

No matter what your start product is - something you sketched, a google image, or a photoshopped composite of both - you still have to take time and care to cut it perfectly, dye it the correct colors for the right times, and re-mask if it's multicolor. The process of dyeing the disc is 100% unchanged.

Yes, it's a skateboard company logo, but somebody had to draw it at some point. By your logic, if I had entered a dyed disc that my friend drew by hand (or graphically designed) then my disc should be disqualified as well because I (the dyer) was not the original artist.

The concept of requiring a single artist to operate in an isolated vaccuum in order for their creation to be considered art is not only wrong, it's dumb.

Philman - and everyone really - did a fantastic job. I wish my Xacto skills were up to par with these.

Latest posts