• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Hey guys. Finally got the factory working on the v5 prototype.

Two main adjustments:
Remove the 3rd vertical pocket. Evenly space the two remaining pockets and enlarge them.
Enlarge the side pockets 1-2in.

Also new colors.

At this point, I'm thinking Q3-Q4 for the bags. Pre orders would go up during the summer.

Hope everyone is well!

Hey guys. Finally got the factory working on the v5 prototype.

Two main adjustments:
Remove the 3rd vertical pocket. Evenly space the two remaining pockets and enlarge them.
Enlarge the side pockets 1-2in.

Good move. V4 Rebel here, and I hated that lowest pocket. Ended up safety pinning it to the middle pocket just to get it out of the way of the lower compartment discs. (I only carry 16 or 17 discs usually.)

I'm indifferent on the changes to the side pockets. They are adequate for my purposes.

Yeah, they are plenty big for me too. The two complaints that I hear about the Rebel, the 3rd pocket is almost useless and just wanting it to hold more stuff/a sweatshirt more easily. The good news is that it's just a touch more fabric and won't change the weight much at all. I debated the expandable side pockets, similar to Grip, but all that would do is add weight and cost. It felt like overkill. The will still be tapered to give that slimmer feel, like the width change change from the v3 to the v4.

I am fine with all of my verticals. What would make this the perfect bag is a change to the mini pocket to fit one putter. Mini can go anywhere. Game changer.

Yeah, they are plenty big for me too. The two complaints that I hear about the Rebel, the 3rd pocket is almost useless and just wanting it to hold more stuff/a sweatshirt more easily. The good news is that it's just a touch more fabric and won't change the weight much at all. I debated the expandable side pockets, similar to Grip, but all that would do is add weight and cost. It felt like overkill. The will still be tapered to give that slimmer feel, like the width change change from the v3 to the v4.

I'm outdoors a lot (hiking, building my course, cycling, etc.) and can't imagine wearing a bulky sweatshirt for much of anything other than lounging around the house. Multiple thin layers works far better. A typical micro-weight fleece has no problem fitting in the v4 side pockets. Hell, I can usually roll one up nice and tight and fit it in one of the bottle pockets.

I've never understood the people that want to carry MORE stuff. I'm always trying to go lighter. Probably the backpacker in me.

That bottom pocket on the Rebel is a pain but I've been making it work. The new design with two pockets sounds awesome though.

I decided to go lighter and just ordered a Shift. Can't wait to try it out, and see if I can get by with 9 or 10 discs. I tried the Nutsac but 6 isn't cutting it.

Wow. Just saw UPD has a new Pinch: DGPT edition... I've never seen anyone trying to climb onto a sinking ship. That's a bummer to see from my favorite bag company.

Wow. Just saw UPD has a new Pinch: DGPT edition... I've never seen anyone trying to climb onto a sinking ship. That's a bummer to see from my favorite bag company.

I love everything about the Pinch except for the mesh side pockets. I've had two and both got rips in them.

I know it's **** on the DGPT season, but they've been out for almost a year. I'd point your ire in another direction. Are they supposed to burn their stock or something?

First I've seen the commercial for them. And it's not a season, it's not a bandwagon, it's righteous anger placed at a company actively causing detriment to the community.

First I've seen the commercial for them. And it's not a season, it's not a bandwagon, it's righteous anger placed at a company actively causing detriment to the community.

That's fine, but I wouldn't redirect that outrage onto good disc golf companies cause one of their bags from a year ago has the DGPT logo on it.

Ahh yeah. Steve and I go way back. I've been a main bag sponsor of the Pro Tour since year one. We developed these bags for last season and planned a 2 season release. Like someone else said, I wasn't just going to let the inventory go to waste. From what I can understand, I must be one of the FEW DGPT sponsors who actually made a commercial. They pushed that ad way too much last weekend and I either need to ask them to cut back or I need to make another 10 commercials so people don't get so exhausted (and annoyed) of my brand playing the same commercial over and over.

Sorry guys.

That makes a lot more sense. I had not noticed the commercial before. As I said, UPD is unquestionably my favorite bag maker. I guess the disappointment of how things have been handled this year just escalated the surprise of seeing the ad.

Keep doing you, Jon!

Dynamic discs is going to be releasing a new entry level backpack called the cadet. It looks an awful lot like the pinch to me, with a few modifications. Any thoughts? Is this another focus/infinite stealth situation? I dont have a picture or anything, but you can see it in the monthly update video with jeremy Rusco they posted on the dynamic youtube a few days ago.

I've wanted to get a trainer but might pay a little more and get a Pound version. They've been out of stock for a long time, it seems. Similar to the rebel

Dynamic discs is going to be releasing a new entry level backpack called the cadet. It looks an awful lot like the pinch to me, with a few modifications. Any thoughts? Is this another focus/infinite stealth situation? I dont have a picture or anything, but you can see it in the monthly update video with jeremy Rusco they posted on the dynamic youtube a few days ago.

Holy cow. It's a Pinch! There are so many things about a great bag that they remade so terribly, but I guess that's what you need to do to get the price to $20. It's sad to see these bigger companies fight to make absolute crap bags. You'll also notice that it has no Ogio branding, that's because Ogio would never put their name on something like that. That's a bare-bone, direct China copy of the Pinch. There is no doubt in my mind that they sent one of my bags to China and told them to copy it.

Let's break it down. The easiest way to determine if a bag is a reversed engineered copy is to follow the material paneling. You'll notice from the side stretch mesh, to the lower front zipper pocket, the way the bottom material wraps up and is sewn in-between the side and the front, matches the Pinch. The profile paneling with the slimmed top, the "baseball like" curved stitching on the circle flap, the top webbing strap with dual D-rings... it bring back so many memories! It's almost comical how little they tried to do things on their own. "Oh he's got a little pocket on the top, let's put a zipper there...." What's funny is the parts they chose not to copy are all the parts that cost money. Not even worth going into at this point, but from one bag manufacturer to a company that had always tried to make relatively good bags, this is a sad step in the wrong direction and you've lost my respect.

I'm sure they will sell a ton, but when they break down in a year, at least they've got people interested in the design of the Pinch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190423-192037_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20190423-192037_YouTube.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20190423-192054_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20190423-192054_YouTube.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 162
Love my Rebel backpack. I had my eye on it since last summer, but it was sold out. In the meantime, I bought two Fossa packs - first a Skinny, then a Tana Pro. Both well-made with high-quality materials.

The alternative pocket/shelf design of the Rebel is what originally caught my eye. I love the ability to organize my most-used discs (not just putters) for easy access. That's what took me to the Skinny when the Rebel wasn't available. But the Skinny has limited capacity that I quickly outgrew (I found myself jamming 9 discs in the lower compartment), and the Velcro for attaching the individual shelves began to lose its effectiveness because of the way the outside walls of the pack flex.

Since the Rebel was still out of stock, I asked for and received a Fossa Tana Pro for Christmas. Same great construction, same great materials, and a few cool touches (the rainfly is in it's own hidden pocket at the bottom, between the straps). I had the capacity I wanted (20-24 discs), but there were two significant flaws. The integrated shelf really needs to hold two discs in order that they're held securely. If I take one out and throw it, there's a good chance the remaining disc on the shelf will fall out when I'm lifting/carrying the pack (I've had to walk back and pick up the "ejected" disc more than once). The other flaw was instability, especially on hills. The pack just wants to fall over too easily.

I began to consider the Pound, and started to get reeled in by the clever marketing and hype - especially regarding the Carlton. But that's a lot of money, even if it's a "lifetime" backpack.

Then one February morning a notice on Reddit that you guys at UPD had found a pallet of Rebels - only black with red zippers available. DONE!

Great pack. Great design. Great materials. Good pricepoint at around $200. That's higher than I had paid before, but significantly lower than Pound.

Plenty of capacity - even without using the side pockets for discs (I almost wonder if it's worth adding a putter pocket to one side). The cloth "shelf/pockets" are a touch more fussy than I'd like: if I'm putting two discs in a pocket I remember to set them "top to top" so they slide out easier; putting discs back in generally takes two hands (one to hold the pocket, the other to manipulate the disc); the discs in the bottom-most pocket tend to get tangled up with the tops of the line of discs in the bottom compartment. But these are quibbles. The backpack is great. I hope UPD keeps improving designs, keeps making and selling packs.

Latest posts