• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

Ummm, you do realize Innova foots the bill for this whole thing right?

If Lat. 64 wants to showcase their players they can start a world tour and pay for a big tournament.

I think more of what he is saying is they claim that they are growing the sport but its really about growing their brand. Huge difference.

If Lat. 64 wants to showcase their players they can start a world tour and pay for a big tournament.
And that is where the problem lies, ever notice how prodigy is always having to film chase cards.

accurate username

lol yeah I guess I'm too dumb to understand why a company would put out a free product that basically nobody watches, doesn't earn them money directly, and also takes away effort from another product that gets more views/advertisements. Additionally I guess I don't understand why they would need to represent brands other than their own in an equal light.

Then they shouldn't claim to be "growing the sport" if that only involves mostly thier players. This is and should be much bigger than their own brand. For crying out loud this is THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP and shouldn't be about a selective group of players. They all paid the same entry fee am I not correct?

Then they shouldn't claim to be "growing the sport" if that only involves mostly thier players. This is and should be much bigger than their own brand. For crying out loud this is THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP and shouldn't be about a selective group of players. They all paid the same entry fee am I not correct?
Innova owns the U.S. event, not the sport/PDGA.

lol yeah I guess I'm too dumb to understand why a company would put out a free product that basically nobody watches, doesn't earn them money directly, and also takes away effort from another product that gets more views/advertisements. Additionally I guess I don't understand why they would need to represent brands other than their own in an equal light.
Because '#grow the sport.'

Okay I understand. I just want to see all of what the tournament can offer. I'm a disc golf fan and enjoy watching top players compete. I dont care if they throw paper plates, I want to see it haha.
You can see it in better quality post production and edited.

Jonny V - during your live stream with Terry this weekend, can we see the disc collections during the downtime between live scoring updates?

I wonder if we are going to get final round edited coverage? I hope so. Because last year was a massive let down.

Jonny V - during your live stream with Terry this weekend, can we see the disc collections during the downtime between live scoring updates?

I'll be honest. My collection isn't that impressive. I have a bunch of junk from the late 90s and early 00's. Most of my keepers are on my walls. But I wouldn't be opposed to showing some off. Terry has the more impressive collection, but I know he keeps that at his storage facility. You name it, he probably has at least 1 of them.

Well then I don't look forward to the USDGC anymore if they don't want to give the best media coverage they can. Ill read the results in the dg magazine like I did in the 1990s. Cant wait for the 2017 PDGA Worlds where they actually give a crap about showcasing their talented players NO matter who they play for or what plastic they throw. Go team mixed bag!!!

I guess they aren't doing it just out of the goodness of their hearts then.
Clearly not.

Which sucks for their most hardcore and dedicated fanbase.

Entire point of the thread here.

Terry has the more impressive collection, but I know he keeps that at his storage facility. You name it, he probably has at least 1 of them.
Tell him to bring his most 'holy grail' type discs. Or most valuable I guess. Thinking 2001 CE Roc's and such.

I think more of what he is saying is they claim that they are growing the sport but its really about growing their brand. Huge difference.

You seriously think that everything Innova does for the sport only grows their brand?

All I can say is wow.

Well then I don't look forward to the USDGC anymore if they don't want to give the best media coverage they can. Ill read the results in the dg magazine like I did in the 1990s. Cant wait for the 2017 PDGA Worlds where they actually give a crap about showcasing their talented players NO matter who they play for or what plastic they throw. Go team mixed bag!!!

World's is a PDGA event.

USDGC is an Innova event, always has been.

I really don't understand the confusion here.

I recommend listening to Steve Hill's interview with Jussi on the Ultiworld Pod which posted yesterday.

If you've been paying attention to Jussi's line of thinking regarding his tour, which he has clearly and repeatedly explained since he announced plans for the DGWT last year, there might not be anything new for you in this interview. However, after judging from the level of steady indignation focused on Jussi based on his personality, vision & strategies, it's clear that most people expected something completely different from Jussi for USDGC. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they would.

As a hardcore pro disc golf fan, I don't like many basic aspects of DGWT. And I happen to disagree with his business plan if his goal is to build the sport in this country. But I can't say that Jussi's operating in bad faith. He's been 100% consistent and available for comment since he announced the DGWT last year.

He has stated clearly, many times over the last 12 months, that his focus of DGWT has been to package a slick, professional media production to market to huge corporate sponsors - he mentioned Coca-Cola, as an example, several times. That's it. He doesn't care about the current or longtime hardcore fan, but he admits to that. On the Ultiworld pod, he was downright disdainful and dismissive of the whole last-minute PDGA/Smashboxx/USDGC live coverage offer fiasco, essentially describing the whole negotiation/discussion as unprofessional and beneath the DGWT.

The one thing that Jussi stated in his Ultiworld interview that I had never heard from him before is that he sees a clear division between growth of disc golf in Europe and growth of disc golf over here. He states that disc golf is already a nationally televised sport in Finland as a sign that disc golf is a lot closer to big time status in Europe than it is over here. This adds credibility to his business plan, as it pertains to growing the sport in Europe. That's why I said I didn't agree with his business plan to grow the sport in this country. I think he might be mentioning Coca-Cola over and over because companies like Coke might be pretty close to sponsoring the sport in Europe.

And he mentioned that the PDGA is opening up an office in Europe and will be staffing it up next year. That's interesting.

I think Jussi's focusing on growing the sport in Europe, not here. That's fine, of course. Disc golf looks like it's growing like crazy over there, so it makes good business sense. I just think that might be why many American disc golf fans can't figure out a lot of what he's doing.

Last edited:
I think Jussi's focusing on growing the sport in Europe, not here.
I guess it just seems odd that he's using the United States Disc Golf Championship to attain these goals. Or maybe he's delusional/crazy/visionary enough to think he can replicate this euro success here in the US (a completely different sporting culture than his homebase).

You can't down play his thought processes on the whole thing. However, it is possible to have live feed with ad time and show great numbers and still use the same video cut down to a top notch production if the comintary is not recorded in the feed. Show live feed one day, one two days later have great edited video of the round then drop the live feed of the said round so as to not mix viewer numbers.

Biggest gripe is I know now who is in the lead after round one by the flood of Facebook on Jussi's crew, the USDGC and PDGA. Why would I care now to make a point to watch the videos? Spoils the whole point. Now I wait a day and I can see the round and the suspense isn't there. Kind of like taking the super bowl and saying "We will give it to you tomorrow, by the way Lions won". Guess I don't need to watch. (I will watch of course for support of people working hard not Jussi's vision of global domination)